Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 8:23:54 AM EDT
Hey guys.

Well my wife just supprised me with a Nikon D50 (PLEASE PLEASE dont tell me that it should have been a canon, or whatever.. I am a Nikon fan... and barely know the basics as it is, and I have a few Nikon AF lenses already) For what I intend to do, it will be more than enough

Before, my N80 was just set to 'auto' mode, and it was strictly point and shoot. I am starting to REALLY get into trying to take GOOD photos, with good composition, and lighting (learning about lighting is confussing the hell out of me) And TRYING to learn what the different camera modes do to effect the picture. Its overwhelming to say the least. Any online sites you guys reccomend for reference?

Just wanted to share my newest hobby.. lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
dpreview.com.  Think of it as the ARFCOM of digital photography.  Photo.net is good also.  For the good stuff, pros tend to hang out on Rob Galbraith's site.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
dpreview.com.  Think of it as the ARFCOM of digital photography.  Photo.net is good also.  For the good stuff, pros tend to hang out on Rob Galbraith's site.

Good deal, Yeah I have been to dpreview when researching cameras.. but I thought it was just for reviews. I'll check that out. I just want to know the basic basics at this point (like what the different  settings do to affect the same picture)

thanks again for the links
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good deal, Yeah I have been to dpreview when researching cameras.. but I thought it was just for reviews. I'll check that out. I just want to know the basic basics at this point (like what the different  settings do to affect the same picture)

thanks again for the links

Dpreview's forums are buried in their menus and are loaded with good info (and bad).  Those guys are extreme over analyzers (referred to as measurebators) which makes for good wealth of info if you can sift through it.  To learn your camera, I like the plain old manual and lots of practice (doesn't cost a thing with digital).  For principles of photography, get Nat'l Geographic's field guide.  Best there is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Try www.nikonians.org for good info without the bickering of some of the other sites.

Aaron
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Also,  www.nikoncafe.com for a good atmosphere w/o attitude.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Good call.  I gave my wife a D50 for Christmas.  I've got an N70 and an N80, but I'm thinking about the D70 this summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top