Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2021 12:02:24 PM EDT
Sigma has a Contemporary 150-400mm for E mount lens I was considering for nature walks and landscape photography... I’m a Sigma fan but just saw that Tamron has just debuted a fairly compact 150-500mm lens built for mirrorless cameras that is interesting too.

Question, is the extra 100mm worth a little extra money it costs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the specs, sharpness, build quality, max aperture, focus speed, etc.

I was a big fan of the Tamron 150-600, and I had a pretty sharp copy, but when I got the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 I sold the Tamron.

Hands down the Nikon is sharper, and maintains a constant max aperture as you zoom.

I was shooting the Tamron at f/9 almost exclusively to maximize sharpness, but the Nikon at f/5.6 seems sharper than the Tamron at f/9, and being able to open up to 5.6 makes a huge difference.

For me, the loss of 100mm is insignificant compared to everything else the Nikon offers.

Tamron:

Strut 20170403 by FredMan, on Flickr

Nikon:

Hover by FredMan, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top