Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2018 5:15:21 PM EDT
My 14 YO son wants to learn drawing. He has developed an interest in anime and bought a Huion H610pro drawing tablet
to start drawing. My question is there a basic drawing course I can get that uses a drawing tablet to learn? Also any suggestions
for what program(s) to get? And, any suggestions for drawing tablets that you draw directly on the screen?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I never had any real training.

What helped me best was learning to draw what I looked at. Still life art is boring but great for learning to understand shapes and lighting.

There are a variety of books on how to draw x y and z, but imo before he dives into anime, he may benefit greatly from figure drawing classes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What helped me best was learning to draw what I looked at. Still life art is boring but great for learning to understand shapes and lighting.

There are a variety of books on how to draw x y and z, but imo before he dives into anime, he may benefit greatly from figure drawing classes.
View Quote
Thank you- I have explained to him that he needs to learn the basics first. Do you think someone starting out could use drawing classes, or videos, but
practice on a drawing tablet? Or, would you suggest putting the tablet aside and start on paper? Example of what I was thinking is thegreatcourses.com has
a video " how to draw". I am willing to buy something like that but concerned about the transition from watching a lesson to applying it to a computer
drawing tablet.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm gonna tag in an expert on this one.

@XCRMonger

The GF can help with all sorts of on paper art related stuff but she does not do digital drawing.

She and the Mongler have been friends for some time and there's some mutual appreciation going back and forth.
View Quote
I always check in to your posts when you put up her work
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Art class at school is where my son learned to draw
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you- I have explained to him that he needs to learn the basics first. Do you think someone starting out could use drawing classes, or videos, but
practice on a drawing tablet? Or, would you suggest putting the tablet aside and start on paper? Example of what I was thinking is thegreatcourses.com has
a video " how to draw". I am willing to buy something like that but concerned about the transition from watching a lesson to applying it to a computer
drawing tablet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

drawing tablet.
Tablets are great because you can Ctrl+z.. which is great for a beginner.

I have screen protectors for mine that make the surface feel like paper. They're fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks- I'll pass that on to him
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top