Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2018 6:01:27 PM EDT
Any experience with Abe's of Main?  Good price on a new body, but haven't heard of them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
they apparently are the masters of the bait and switch, kind of like their name....Abe's of Maine ......in Jersey................
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they apparently are the masters of the bait and switch, kind of like their name....Abe's of Maine ......in Jersey................
View Quote
Yeah, it's starting to look like a place to avoid.  Looks like the push a lot of gray market stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is not the old Abe's that had a good reputation.

This is a new outfit that's trying to scam people with name recognition.

I do my best to keep them off this site, linking there will get a post edit etc.
View Quote
Good to know.

How about Beach Camera?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I recommend dealing with B&H, KEH, and when no other alternative is available, Adorama.

I don't know much about the others such as the one you named. What I do know is that the above named companies stand behind their products, have excellent support, and will do whatever it takes to make it right for the customer.

(except that one time Adorama totally screwed me and afterward never responded to the emails that the adorama person that registered here said I should send)

But ehh, that truly was an isolated incident. Most people have nothing but good things to say about them.
View Quote
I usually use those three, but the body I'm looking for is $30 to $50 cheaper at the one I named for a factory refurb.  And since they are listed as a dealer on Nikons site, I'm pretty sure it's not a gray market camera.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I contacted B&H. They are price matching for me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I now have a refurbed D7200 coming my way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I now have a refurbed D7200 coming my way.
View Quote
Woot!

I love that these several year old bodies are still hot in today's photoworld.  Mark of just how good they are.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Old, old thread, but thought I would update of Abe's.

Had ordered a Nikon D850 during their Labor Day price reduction sale of $500 less than all other purveyors. I surmised given the lesser cost it was  a "grey market" offering, rather than Nikon USA.

Of course, three days after the order was placed I received an email from Abe's asking I call to "confirm my order" (Abe's usual procedure) - not a practice done with the more well known and reputable electronics mail order establishments. Calling Abe's I spoke immediately with a CS representative, asked pointedly if the D850 indeed carried an International Warranty, and was told any issue with the camera and it would have to be sent back to Abe's (shipping at my expense) for repair. So obviously, "grey market".

The CS reprentative halfheartedly attempted to seek me an Abe's extended warranty at a 50% discount, which I declined. Without issue the CS rep cancelled my order when asked to do so, and was very polite.

I suspect Abe's is accustomed to having orders cancelled...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top