Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2018 9:59:45 PM EDT
There will always be a traditional base/following for cameras and such. I don't use my Canon Rebel 3 anymore so to speak. What is your take?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course they do
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Trying to figure out where it's all going short and long term.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Dedicated and interchangeable lens camera sales have been declining as smartphone sales have increased (see CIPA). It used to be that anybody wanting a camera for snapshots had to buy a dedicated camera (even if it was a [relatively] pocket-sized 110 format), but now they reach in their pocket and pull out the ubiquitous smartphone camera. It's more than adequate for this type of consumer.

Yet, despite gimmicks like the movies shot entirely with an iPhone, the laws of physics cannot be short-circuited and a certain level of quality requires a "real" (i.e., dedicated) camera. Tiny sensors like those in smartphones are simply incapable of performing at the level of larger sensors (and concomitant larger lenses). Those interested in expanding their interest in photography eventually realize that fact and move into non-smartphone cameras (i.e., "real" cameras). My interpretation of CIPA data is the last couple years of "real" camera sales (regardless whether DSLR or mirrorless bodies) shows signs of leveling off at the point where folks that used to buy cameras for snapshots are now filtered out of the equation. That leaves the professional and enthusiast market as the buyers of these models.

IMO, the smartphone is introducing a growing friction between traditional camera makers (e.g., Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, Sony, etc.) with their established base of users accustomed to "old school" knobs and dials and a new generation of users that grew up with cameras with "soft" controls displayed on a very large control screen that also served as the viewfinder. We're seeing trends like tilt- and even swivel screens that enable the continuation of the selfie and touch screens with controls that are increasingly similar to those found on smartphones, but there's still a heavy reliance on menu-driven option settings.

And I doubt we'll see the shutter button disappear from dedicated camera bodies.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I was amazed about the quality of the photos my Samsung S7 takes and have been using my Lumia point-and-shoot and Pentax DSLR less and less.  There are some situations where they still beat my phone hands down, mostly low light, high-speed shots and where good lenses make the difference.

So, for daily basis, cellphone.  Travel, I take all three, or at least the Panasonic Lumia, which is also amazing.

Samsung now released the S9+, which has a dual camera that combine the images and increases the quality several fold.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 3:35:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The phone cams have pretty much killed off the low-end of the P&S market, and  is treading hard on the medium price P&S  market. The crop-frame APS-C/DX Nikon 3xxx/Canon Rebel-series will kill a phone cams especially with their 18/16-300/400mm zooms. The mirrorless with their EVF is great but you can't physically make the lenses smaller, to me they are a bit too expensive when compared to the DSLRs. But if you don't need those extreme zoom ranges, the phone cams are more than adequate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top