Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2018 12:53:03 PM EDT
Hi all,
I'm very new to photography, never really even played with a camera beyond my potatoes.
I've got some folks in my life who have some experience and I'll be reaching out to them, but I want to get the broadest range of input possible, so I figured I'd ask here too.
I'm looking to have more control over focus, as well as actual optical zoom, and expect to do a lot of off hand shooting.
Most of the pictures I've taken to date have been either landscapes like these:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Or the usual family types, or close ups of guns/bugs from 2"-8' away.

I'm not really sure what kind of lenses I'd need for anything, but I haven't gotten all that far in my research yet either.

I also still don't really have a budget hammered down, but I'll probably be looking at ~$5-700 for the initial entry, and I'll be selling a gun or two to do that.

So with my very brief initial research I think I'm probably looking at a used version of a set up like this or this to get started, and then with use figure out what I like/dislike/need in any subsequent purchases.

Am I on the right track?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I think this is a good place to spend your first $20. I think the Northrups do better than most in looking out for the beginner photographer.

Here's their YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure what kind of lenses I'd need for anything, but I haven't gotten all that far in my research yet either.
View Quote
What *I* would do is get the book "digital photography for dummies" at a local bookstore. They're often found used for 1/2 price. This will guide over the basics so you can at least understand the terminology when you're reading descriptions for products. For example, a lens listed as a F1.8 versus a F4.5, both a 85mm. I bought it when I first began & learned a LOT.

Nikon offers dvd's on lessons, both general as well as specific to a specific camera. I bought some of those as well. Much better than watching on-line, IMO.

When you're ready to buy, hit the Nikon refurbished web site. I've bought a lot that way & you can't tell it's even been used. B&H Photo also offers gently used equipment at a nice discount. I've bought used from both places, never been burned in any way from them.

My .o2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top