Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 2:28:27 AM EDT
To start: I shoot with a DSLR and do not have a smartphone. So I usually only have a camera with me when I plan to take pictures.

I've been thinking about picking up an older model advanced compact or small mirrorless camera to take some snapshots with when I don't have my DSLR. Or times I have a longer lens but want to take a family picture or something. I like my current camera and don't want to switch to mirrorless, I'm looking for more of a supplement.

Does anyone even do this anymore or does everyone just use their phones?

Any ideas around $400 maybe? Used would be fine if I can find that model still.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Mirrorless cameras are GREAT for when you want quality without the bulk.  I carry my EOS M around with me more than anything now.. I have all but retired my ancient 20D LOL.  I will be getting a 6d or 7dmk2 or 70d when the hobby pot is full again.. but ok, back on topic.

Mirrorless cameras are awesome!  They take DSLR quality level of photos in a smaller package.  My EOS M has the same sensor as the t5i for example.  Most can also use adapters to run full sized lenses if need be.

I carry a 22 f2 and the 18-55 f3.5-5.6, and mostly leave the 18-55 on it, as it does a great job as an all-a-round lens.  I will be getting the 11-22 at some point along with the 55-200.

There is the M2 and M3, and they are not for sale in the US, but the original M can be had for 300-350.  It is slower focusing than other brands in some regards, but the photo quality is great, and the touch screen UI is really nice!  Others will be along to give you their favorites too, but so far I love my EOS M.  My ONLY complaint is no built in flash.

Here it is with the EF lens adapter and an EF 20mm on it and the 580ex flash.. just being silly.

low light
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
When I don't want to carry a full DSLR kit, I use a Sony RX100 II.  They are all the way up to version 4 now, but version 2 and 3 are still available new.  It's a tough, and very well made P&S, that takes good quality pictures. About the only thing I don't like, is that it doesn't have a traditional viewfinder (I believe the III and IV have a popup EVF).  Seeing that damn LCD screen in bright sun can be tough.  Overall, I'm quite happy with it.

Here is one  review, and I'm sure there are lots of others, also.

Make no mistake, it is not a substitute for a DSLR.  But it sure is easy to pack and carry on trips, when a DSLR is simply not convenient.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought about it some more and I like the DX size mirrorless, but I figured in the end once I get a lens or two it isn't enough of a difference from my DSLR. I thought I would prefer a point and shoot size camera.

I ordered a Sony RX100 II today on Ebay. And I accidentally ordered a film Nikon N80 SLR while I was at it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL.. sweet.  Enjoy your new cameras!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry my Canon G16 most everywhere with me. Great to have along for the features without the size.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered a Sony RX100 II today on Ebay.
View Quote

I think you will enjoy it.  It is small, especially compared to a DSLR. As a result,the controls are a little bit "fidgety"  to use.  I normally keep my DSLR in the manual mode, but I find that to be difficult (manipulating the controls)  with the Sony.  So, I virtually always  use aperture priority.  You will get used to it quickly enough, though.  I also highly recommend using the wrist strap as the camera has a smooth finish, that can feel a little "slippery". Easy for it to squirt out of the hands.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I take a Nikon AW100 with me everywhere.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Playing with it now. I'll try and post some pics over the weekend but love the size of it.

I didn;t realize when I ordered it but the listing I bought even came with one of the Sony "leather" cases.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Playing with it now. I'll try and post some pics over the weekend but love the size of it.

I didn;t realize when I ordered it but the listing I bought even came with one of the Sony "leather" cases.
View Quote
Good choice!  My buddy often shoots with one and is very happy with it.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Ricoh GR, awesome little camera
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I take a Nikon AW100 with me everywhere.

View Quote

This. But an AW130. Got a 120 as well but it's basically a backup now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Canon S100 with me, but lag takes a bit of getting used to. I think the S120 is probably way better, but it is not a biggie for me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Reviving a somewhat old thread.

I bought a Nikon 1 J4 at Target on close out Memorial Day weekend. It was a steal at less than $200 OTD. I am usually "that guy" at a family of school event with a gigantic 2.8 lens and a monopod.

I've used that little j4 a lot lately, to the point that if I won't be shooting in really low light, I'll take just it. For the first time in 5 years. I did not take an SLR to the beach this year.

It is all around better than my D600 at video too.

If you plan to get more than one lens (I don't), then look at the micro 4/3rds stuff.  There is a much better selection of lenses for that system.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice price on that Nikon 1. I looked at them and the 4/3 stuff, just really wanted something I could stuff in my pockets. The body fits but the lens sticking off it doesn't.

Love the RX100 though. I actually found a great deal on an open box M3 so I'm selling the M2. Like the faster lens, I'll give up some zoom range for that. VIdeo is a bit better too on the M3. Haven't used the viewfinder except to try it out though.

I've mainly shot it at family stuff -- haven't really taken landscape or anything with it yet. But here's a couple backyard dog shots. They aren't HDR I just lifted the shadows and dropped the highlights a lot.

Tanner:

Friend's dog:
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought the EOS M awhile back because it was price dropped for a short time when they released the major firmware update to fix the AF speed.

My thoughts were more to have a more portable camera to the dSLR, and for a supplementary camera for video. I do like the camera for what it is, but to be honest, a small mirrorless to me isn't as small as it could be to offset the features given to me by my full frame body (5D Mark III) ungripped.

I really want to get on the Olympus MFT train, and the E-M5 Mark II is really nice, but I keep resisting the purchase because I don't to get another lens system.

The new Olympus Air A01 looks really interesting, but that still requires me to jump into MFT lenses.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Hasselblad Stellar, which is basically a fancy Sony RX100. I like the wooden grip they've added to the camera, makes it really easy to handhold, but it can still fit in my pocket. But it costs almost a grand.
Still, it's a fun little camera.

I love the pics it can take:

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had quite a number of the Canon P&S cameras and although I endeavor to take the full SLR kit along on any days when I strongly suspect good imagery could present itself, the little P&S cameras are very handy.  I'm currently using the G7X, but prefer the smaller size of the water housings for the S series (S120/110/100, Etc).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top