Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2013 11:24:32 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with this lens? I am looking for a decent walkaround that is fairly fast for under $500. I keep researching and I keep coming back to this one.

It's going on a T3i.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Given that you are using a crop-sensor camera, the first question that comes to mind is, will 28mm be wide enough for you as a walkaround lens.  While there are some that say yes, the majority of folks prefer an 18mm or similar at the wide end for a walkaround zoom lens.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one paired with my T2i and would recommend it.

My primary use is video, but have been very satisfied with the photos I've captured with it.

For less than $500 it's a great buy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The wide end is somewhat of a concern, but the only other real option is the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4. I am not seeing too many glowing reviews on that one.

I also would really like to have a 2.8 through the entire range. If anyone has experience with the Sigma, I would love to hear about it, too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If your budget were a bit higher, I'm trying to sell my Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.  It's a phenomenal lens for APS-C cameras.

You might cry once buying it, but it's an awesome lens.  Just about L quality glass, but Canon won't call it L because it's an EF-S lens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The wide end is somewhat of a concern, but the only other real option is the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4. I am not seeing too many glowing reviews on that one.

I also would really like to have a 2.8 through the entire range. If anyone has experience with the Sigma, I would love to hear about it, too.

Tamron makes two  17-50mm f/2.8 lenses (with and without VC/IS/VR).  The reviews say they are good lenses at good prices if the more expensive Canon version is out of your budget.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the 28-75 your talking about, just in a Nikon mount. Mine is excellent and the sharpness at 70mm compares VERY well with my 70-200 vr1. 28 isn't all that wide though and frankly I use my 17-55f2.8 much more as a walking around lens. If you just want a really good general purpose lens the Tamron is solid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I ordered a Tamron 28-75 today. With rebate, I got it from Cameraland NY for $385 new.

I also won a bid on a Lensbaby 2.0 for $40. I bought it for my wife to use on her Rebel T3. Kind of a cool 50mm to mess around with.

I can just tell that this hobby will continue to get expensive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 4:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Son, I really hate to break it to ya, but you ain't seen nothin yet....wait until you start contemplating 'L' series glass. And of course you need a good tripod. ( barely decent stuff begins around $250-300) and then you'll need some flash and .... It gets crazy.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Son, I really hate to break it to ya, but you ain't seen nothin yet....wait until you start contemplating 'L' series glass. And of course you need a good tripod. ( barely decent stuff begins around $250-300) and then you'll need some flash and .... It gets crazy.

What he said.

The T3i has a great sensor and is capable of some phenomenal photography.  My former camera was a 7D, which as essentially the same sensor, and I got some awesome shots at the F1 race using a 70-200 f/4 L.  L glass is freakin awesome!  And I still assert that the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is L quality glass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I am worried. I believe that a 70-200mm is next. I just have to decide how expensive it is going to get and if I go 2.8 or 4. I have been borrowing a big lens and shooting high school football. That is pretty fun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your budget were a bit higher, I'm trying to sell my Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8.  It's a phenomenal lens for APS-C cameras.

You might cry once buying it, but it's an awesome lens.  Just about L quality glass, but Canon won't call it L because it's an EF-S lens.

This. I'm buying one of these 17-55mm EF-S 2.8 lenses in a couple weeks to replace my kit lens as a full-time walk-around. If I had a full frame I would buy the 24-70 2.8L but the 17-55mm is lighter and has IS to boot so it's the best choice for a crop sensor. I've done months of research into what lens to get as my "do-it-all(almost all)" and the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM is it. "L" quality without the red ring.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, I am worried. I believe that a 70-200mm is next. I just have to decide how expensive it is going to get and if I go 2.8 or 4. I have been borrowing a big lens and shooting high school football. That is pretty fun.

If your into shooting HS sports I suggest sucking it up and getting the f2.8. The extra lens speed means you have a chance of using decent shutter speeds. I've heard nothing but good things about the sharpness of the Cannon f4 but its just going to limit you in low light. Indoor HS events are always dark (at least the ones I've shot) and evening sporting events outside aren't any better.   Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I'm buying one of these 17-55mm EF-S 2.8 lenses in a couple weeks to replace my kit lens as a full-time walk-around. If I had a full frame I would buy the 24-70 2.8L but the 17-55mm is lighter and has IS to boot so it's the best choice for a crop sensor. I've done months of research into what lens to get as my "do-it-all(almost all)" and the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM is it. "L" quality without the red ring.

I have one for sale.  It's in great shape, and no one is nibbling on my ads online.  PM me if you're interested, I'll hold it for you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#14]
So, I got the 28-75 in the mail. Build quality and pics so far are impressive. I am heading to Nashvegas for the weekend, so I will run it through the paces there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top