Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 2:33:54 PM EDT
i have always ran wired network for MY computer, in addition to wireless, but i have never used wireless for gaming.

I just moved and dont wanna put in a wired network.

Is there any noticeable difference in the performance for gaming?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have noticed a big difference in my home network when using wireless adapters, I just bit the bullet and ran CAT 5.

Much more lag for me, not only with PC games but also the wireless adapters that linksys makes for xbox and other consoles.   Using a static IP and putting the gaming system on a DMZ does help a little though, but only for xbox live.  didnt notice a difference with the PC when I had that setup going.

Not to make it sound bad, it will work for most things just fine.  I have just had problems with it in my experience.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
wireless seems to have more "hickups" where it will suddenly get a huge lag or even stop moving data all together for a few seconds or longer
probably due to radio interferance
if my microwave is on in the other room it often kills my wireless until the microwave shuts off
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know ANY serious gamers that use wireless. I doubt it will be long before they get the problems worked out with wireless but for now your best bet is the good ol wire. If your wanting your comp any good length away from your modem or router go buy a spool of Cat5 and search the internet for a cat5 wiring diagram and make your own cable.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't know ANY serious gamers that use wireless. I doubt it will be long before they get the problems worked out with wireless but for now your best bet is the good ol wire. If your wanting your comp any good length away from your modem or router go buy a spool of Cat5 and search the internet for a cat5 wiring diagram and make your own cable.

No point in looking up a wiring diagram -

White-Orange  -  Orange  -  White-Green  -  Blue  -  White-Blue  -  Green  -  White-Brown  -  Brown

T568B cat5 wiring standard, right there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, I'm running 802.11g... with no noticable problems in BF2. I only play on servers that I ping less than 100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top