Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 5:50:04 PM EDT
Getting back into gaming on the PC. What's a good controller (gamepad) out there. I play mostly war games. Battlefield 2, Brothers in Arms type games. I picked up a Saitek controller today? Is it any good? What do you use?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Analog sticks will help you fly better once you set them up to work a lot like that of a dual stick R/C controller.

I use a dual stick controller to fly the helicopters in BF2 and I think Timmah and Absolut can tell you how decent a job I can do in game.

I don't fly jets much in BF2 but I've used the same controller for other flying games.

For FPS games I prefer the keyboard and mouse, the mouse just flat out kicks ass for aiming and shooting at the same time while the keys are best for movement.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
First Person Shooters?  Get the best gaming mouse money can buy -

The Razer Diamondback 1600 dpi mouse

Razer

Nothing comes close to a good mouse and a keyboard on PC shooters.  Nothing.  Dont waste your time with a controller, unless all you are going to play is NES roms.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
sweet, thanks. didn't even know there was such a thing as a high-end mouse. Tells ya how long I've out of the pc gaming world.

Quoted:

Razer

www.modernizacje.net/images/artykuly/razer_diamondback/1.gif

Nothing comes close to a good mouse and a keyboard on PC shooters.  Nothing.  Dont waste your time with a controller, unless all you are going to play is NES roms.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
sweet, thanks. didn't even know there was such a thing as a high-end mouse. Tells ya how long I've out of the pc gaming world.

Quoted:

Razer

No problem.  Definately get the optional speed pad that is made for that mouse.  It has two sides, one for speed and one for control.  That mouse is VERY VERY sensitive, but has sentivity on the fly (on a knob on the mouse, it can adjust the sensitivity on the go).  but the mouse pag definately helps, big time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a pic or link to that mouse pad?

Thanks.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Razer

No problem.  Definately get the optional speed pad that is made for that mouse.  It has two sides, one for speed and one for control.  That mouse is VERY VERY sensitive, but has sentivity on the fly (on a knob on the mouse, it can adjust the sensitivity on the go).  but the mouse pag definately helps, big time.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a review of the exact mat mousepad I was talking about -

www.twistedmods.com/article.php?artid=278

It is a coated alluminum mousepad (very well made).  Very big too.

They also have it on the razer website, under "products".

They make a lot of mice, but I reccomend the diamondback above all others.  They are only $43 at newegg, which isnt bad for a high-end mouse like that.

If you end up getting one of these with the exact mat pad, get the mouse from newegg and the pad from razer themselves.  The pad is priced about right on their site, but the mouse is a tad expensive directly from them.  I would get the mouse from newegg.

Razers website
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
picked up the razer diamondback yesterday
what a sweet mouse! thanks for the info!

Quoted:

They make a lot of mice, but I reccomend the diamondback above all others.  They are only $43 at newegg, which isnt bad for a high-end mouse like that.

If you end up getting one of these with the exact mat pad, get the mouse from newegg and the pad from razer themselves.  The pad is priced about right on their site, but the mouse is a tad expensive directly from them.  I would get the mouse from newegg.

Razers website

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]
received the eXactMat yesterday and bought the razer diamondback mouse.

what a kick-ass setup. anyone serious about gaming needs to have this set-up.
never thought a mouse could move this smooth and be so precise!

thanks for the info!

Quoted:

Razers website

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
for FPS mouse/keyboard is the way to go
for simulations I have to have a joystick, I was using a CH Flightstick Pro but my new system doesn't have a game port so I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
when I got GTA3 the mouse keyboard combo sucked except for certain times with certain weapons, so I got a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 2 which is a lot like a PS2 gamepad but with a couple extra buttons
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
for FPS mouse/keyboard is the way to go
for simulations I have to have a joystick, I was using a CH Flightstick Pro but my new system doesn't have a game port so I got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
when I got GTA3 the mouse keyboard combo sucked except for certain times with certain weapons, so I got a Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Analog 2 which is a lot like a PS2 gamepad but with a couple extra buttons

I just got a playstation to USB adaptor at radio shack for like 10 bucks.

works great for emultors.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know if there is an advantage between standard connection or USB as to your keyboard and mouse?

I was told USB is better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
sometimes unplugging and replugging a PS/2 connected mouse or keyboard while the computer is on will lock it up. don't think USB will do that
other than that I can't think of any real difference. mice and keyboards don't send enough data to take advantage of USB's transfer rates
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:59:53 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah you can plug and un-plug a usb mouse and keyboard without having to re-boot or having it lock your system up. I have both, a saitek keyboard and razer mouse and they are both usb. With pc's having usb ports in the front and monitors having them on the side, it's just more convenient to have a usb. Having a usb might help with the higher end mice like the razer brands.

Quoted:
sometimes unplugging and replugging a PS/2 connected mouse or keyboard while the computer is on will lock it up. don't think USB will do that
other than that I can't think of any real difference. mice and keyboards don't send enough data to take advantage of USB's transfer rates

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
received the eXactMat yesterday and bought the razer diamondback mouse.

what a kick-ass setup. anyone serious about gaming needs to have this set-up.
never thought a mouse could move this smooth and be so precise!

thanks for the info!

Quoted:

Razers website

Glad you like it.

I love mine
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess I am the only one using a trackball for FPS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I've never been good with trackballs for fine control
but the trackball works great in the arcade version of Missile Command
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never been good with trackballs for fine control
but the trackball works great in the arcade version of Missile Command

I would like to try one of these fancy mice but cant afford one ATM. Never liked mice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top