Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2020 12:47:50 PM EDT
I was out of console gaming when Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were released.

What are my options for playing them now?

My understanding is that the Wii Virtual Console store is gone, so I can't play them on my Wii.

Would a Gamecube off of eBay be my best bet?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Pc emulator?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was out of console gaming when Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were released.

My understanding is that the Wii Virtual Console store is gone, so I can't play them on my Wii.

View Quote
The best way, imo, is the 3DS.

Not only is it portable, but can utilize the 3D mode and it makes for some cool interactions.  I typically play with 3D off, but both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask work so well with the 3D.  I have both.

The Ocarina of Time was harder to get when it first came out, sold out everywhere.  They quit making them, but came back out with this Nintendo Selects copy, $19.99.  Majora's Mask new can still cost up to $50, but you can get it used or digital for under $20.

Just keep in mind that these 3DS versions require the "New" 3DS that has a second thumb stick thingy on the right side.

You can grab them refurbed for $110 at gamestop, or find someone selling one locally.  Still, best way to play those two games imo. Would be nice to play on the big screen, but until they bring them to Switch, I wouldn't bother. The Upscale would ruin the game unless it was done properly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You can still buy used Nintendo 64s and video games for them. I have ocarina of time and goldeneye 007 for my n64. If there’s no video game store near you, eBay or Craigslist would be a good place to check.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Something is fucky.  Nintendo is nuts about protecting their IP and this company is selling a machine that's ready to go, out of the box, with thousands of their games?  Or am I not understanding this?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You can build a retropie for $35.  It's extremely bare bones, no case for the board, but its $35.  You can get a cast and it'll be another $10~.  Get a nice controller you like, PS4, Xbox One, w/e.

Games like the N64 are hard for me to play with regular controllers.  Doesn't feel right lol.  They do make a n64 controller tho, could always snag one of those.

I think $299 is a bit...much, considering you can do everything yourself for $35.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Something is fucky.  Nintendo is nuts about protecting their IP and this company is selling a machine that's ready to go, out of the box, with thousands of their games?  Or am I not understanding this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think you download the ROM's (automatically) after you get the machine.  There is a disclaimer about this on their site that they technically aren't selling you software.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can build a retropie for $35.  It's extremely bare bones, no case for the board, but its $35.  You can get a cast and it'll be another $10~.  Get a nice controller you like, PS4, Xbox One, w/e.

Games like the N64 are hard for me to play with regular controllers.  Doesn't feel right lol.  They do make a n64 controller tho, could always snag one of those.

I think $299 is a bit...much, considering you can do everything yourself for $35.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$90 of that is some subscription, I think to download games?  I wasn't sure what it was for.

I was also told that Retropie doesn't work so well for N64, is that true?  That's the whole reason I started looking for a more powerful machine.

IF that thing does what it says it does, then $299 is a deal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$90 of that is some subscription, I think to download games?  I wasn't sure what it was for.

I was also told that Retropie doesn't work so well for N64, is that true?  That's the whole reason I started looking for a more powerful machine.

IF that thing does what it says it does, then $299 is a deal.
View Quote
Emulation for N64 isn't perfect. Most games work, some have sound issues.  Not every platform has been emulated perfectly unfortunately.

As far as the Subscription goes, not worth it. You can get very game free, and don't see any use in their subscription.  Again, you can do all of this for under $110 with controllers.

Video of Retropie on a Pi4:

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask | Nintendo 64 | RPi4 | Lakka

That Said, I much prefer the clean look of the 3DS Zelda remakes.

Longplay of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

ETA:

The package you linked is just a Ras Pi with RetroPie installed with a bunch of games loaded.  No controller, just the unit itself, the storage, and the games.

The subscription thing you're seeing is for a Launcher. All it does is make the interface look nice.  It does nothing more than that. RetroPie has an interface and it works perfectly fine.

https://www.launchbox-app.com/
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Why does Nintendo hate money?

Virtual Console proved people are willing to pay for classic titles.

Fuck this Switch Pro bullshit, give me a Virtual Console.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
No shit, I'd pay to have Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Seasons/Ages from the GBA era, and a ton of other games for my Switch.  Would be so nice considering the Switch is so portable, do away with the 3DS altogether.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Their attitude drives people to emulators for sure.  I would buy tons of Nintendo games if they would sell them to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Their attitude drives people to emulators for sure.  I would buy tons of Nintendo games if they would sell them to me.
View Quote
The sad part is it would be so simple to port the 3DS games to the Switch with little issues.  Let's not forget they already have working emulators for the Wii and Wii-U, why can't they just port those over as well and give us a full Virtual Console.  It makes no sense, truly.  Just look at the Wii-U list: Wii-U Virtual Console

The money they would make is astonishing, you'd think they would jump all over it, especially considering they have completely stopped production of 3DS games.  They are pushing the Switch hardcore.

It has so much potential.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#14]
It must be because no one really wants those old games.  The NES and SNES Classic consoles sat on store shelves and collected dust.

/sarcasm
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can custom firmware the Wii and download the Wiishop stuff online.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can custom firmware the Wii and download the Wiishop stuff online.
View Quote
Explain it to me like I'm five.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
(didn't read the whole thread so apologies for repeating)

3DS is definitely going to be the easiest way, but not cheap if you don't already have one.  That said, I was disappointed in the port of Majora's Mask for 3DS.  They changed an awful lot of stuff, and not for the better.  It's little things, but they all add up to change the feel of the game for me.

The upgraded graphics look fantastic, and playing in glasses-less 3D is pretty damn cool, but unfortunately that does result in some stuttering and frame dropping if the screen starts getting too busy.  Even on the New 3DS which is supposed to have stronger hardware.  If there's a used shop with the old version of the 3DS for really cheap, do that.  The one improvement was face-tracking 3D and it would be a bummer to lose that, but every other change was a net negative, or at best, no improvement IMO.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
(didn't read the whole thread so apologies for repeating)

3DS is definitely going to be the easiest way, but not cheap if you don't already have one.  That said, I was disappointed in the port of Majora's Mask for 3DS.  They changed an awful lot of stuff, and not for the better.  It's little things, but they all add up to change the feel of the game for me.

The upgraded graphics look fantastic, and playing in glasses-less 3D is pretty damn cool, but unfortunately that does result in some stuttering and frame dropping if the screen starts getting too busy.  Even on the New 3DS which is supposed to have stronger hardware.  If there's a used shop with the old version of the 3DS for really cheap, do that.  The one improvement was face-tracking 3D and it would be a bummer to lose that, but every other change was a net negative, or at best, no improvement IMO.
View Quote
I have the "New" 3DS XL and have had zero issues with frame stutters or loss on Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time.  Which is why I recommended it above. It's a beefy handheld.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know what's crazier - the price of this New 3DS XL or that I'm actually considering purchasing it.

Jeebus.

No.  NOOOO.

I will not pay almost $200 to play a game.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Wii U Virtual Console is still alive!?

Majora

Ocarina

A refurb Wii U with two games that I actually want to play is $130.  OTOH, I'd have to live with the shame of owning a Wii U.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know what's crazier - the price of this New 3DS XL or that I'm actually considering purchasing it.

Jeebus.

No.  NOOOO.

I will not pay almost $200 to play a game.
View Quote
That's actually not a bad deal for everything you get.

As far as the Wii-U goes, if you're good with that, go for it!  Make sure you get a pro controller tho.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I still play my WiiU, have a nice collection of virtual console games on it, nice to sit and play Metroid Fusion on a 60" in the living room. My daughter is going through Twilight Princess HD as well, and I occasionally finish a little more of Pikmin 3.

Not to mention Windwaker HD is probably the best game on the system and you can only play it on WiiU.

And the pro controller is awesome.
View Quote
Only reason I want to buy a Wii-U....Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

They seriously need to give it to us on the switch
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Only reason I want to buy a Wii-U....Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

They seriously need to give it to us on the switch
View Quote
I went from A Link To The Past to Twilight Princess.  It's quite a bit darker.  I've read Majora's Mask is even darker still.

The Wolf Link mechanic was kinda neat, if somewhat gimmicky.  Same goes for motion controls.   The story in Twilight Princess is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I went from A Link To The Past to Twilight Princess.  It's quite a bit darker.  I've read Majora's Mask is even darker still.

The Wolf Link mechanic was kinda neat, if somewhat gimmicky.  Same goes for motion controls.   The story in Twilight Princess is excellent.
View Quote
I had Twilight Princess when I owned my first Wii...but it somehow got stolen away from my house by relatives lol.  Never bought another one. I was barely over a third through the game, so still plenty left to play.

I had that and Skyward Sword, not something I easily got into.  I thought the controls kinda ruined it.

I do want to play Twilight Princess again though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
you both need a WiiU for both of those games, they're amazing. I can't play the original Windwaker on the Gamecube (which I still own), the HD with shorter sailing times is so much better.
View Quote
OMG the sailing times sucked on Gamecube
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#28]
This guy is rebuilding the game in Unreal 4.  You can even download it.  I haven't tried this yet, but probably will.

Unreal Engine 4 [4.21] Zelda Ocarina Of Time V3.0
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This guy is rebuilding the game in Unreal 4.  You can even download it.  I haven't tried this yet, but probably will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrMRjK_5RRU
View Quote
Holy hell! That looks great!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top