Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/5/2018 9:51:58 PM EDT
It's in alpha state but still pretty sweet.

The low speed aerodynamics are wonky right now but the carrier work sure is fun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Been doing nothing but Case 1 recoveries, and dogfighting MiG's since it came out. I think it's the best module yet, and it's still only in Early Access. Once they get a few of the Flight Model kinks ironed out, and add in more weapon-system functionality, it is going to be a beast. Can't wait for the Tomcat next!
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Either STT with the AIM-7 is a bit wonky, or i don't quite have the radar figured out yet - In the 4v4 instant action mission my radar was cycling between 3 of the 4 MiG-29's while my first missile was in flight
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I plan to spend a lot of time putting Hornet shaped holes in the ground soon.

Any good systems tutorials available?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
$70

I'm waiting a few months.

It does look sweet though.

I'm enjoying the Harrier in the meantime.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$70

I'm waiting a few months.

It does look sweet though.

I'm enjoying the Harrier in the meantime.
View Quote
It's $80.

It was $60 pre-purchase.

First module I haven't per-purchased in the 3 years since I started playing, and I was extremely excited for the Hornet. I'm tired of the whack-a-mole bugs in DCS and I'm just taking a big ass break from it all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I plan to spend a lot of time putting Hornet shaped holes in the ground soon.

Any good systems tutorials available?
View Quote
Yes, Wags has around 15 episodes and there are lots of others as well.

Just go to YouTube and search DCS F-18C and then your topic.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a few pics of Wags walking me through "not getting killed" in the F-18 last year at E3.

ETA: Even Claude Gillemot was killing shit in the Hornet.

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's $80.

It was $60 pre-purchase.

First module I haven't per-purchased in the 3 years since I started playing, and I was extremely excited for the Hornet. I'm tired of the whack-a-mole bugs in DCS and I'm just taking a big ass break from it all.
View Quote
It was a bit tough for me to plunk down the $60.
I do it to support an active boundaries pushing company in a very small niche world.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do it to support an active boundaries pushing company in a very small niche world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's $80.

It was $60 pre-purchase.

Don't get me wrong, I love what ED has created. I just can't take the new bugs introduced at every single update anymore.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the demo we ran at the Thrustmaster booth at E3. We were using the new TPR rudder pedals and the new Hornet Stick.
We had a guy who said the Hornet stick was vapor-ware, when he was actually using it to play the demo. The look on his face was priceless when I told him he had his hand on one.
I didn't get a picture of him though, or it would be on Thrustmaster's facebook page.

Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
@Darkstar117

When is the F-18 stick available for purchase?
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@Darkstar117

When is the F-18 stick available for purchase?
View Quote
Should be available in october.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Forgot to add, Claude Gillemot killing shit in the Hornet this year at E3.

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#14]
How's progress on the cockpit project? @JSteensen
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I've done a little cockpit upgrade for the Hornet.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=190330&d=1532048082
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
F-18, Su-33, and Persian Gulf map bundle will be on sale for $90 starting 10/1.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
F-18, Su-33, and Persian Gulf map bundle will be on sale for $90 starting 10/1.
View Quote
Owners of one get the other on sale if you don't need the bundle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#18]
You can play the F-18 and Persian Gulf modules for free right now
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Do we have an official DCS World thread or is this it?

F-14 trailer.  

DCS: F-14 - Pre-Order / Gameplay Reveal Trailer - OUT NOW!
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I just can't get excited about the F-14.
Don't know why, never have liked it.
The module looks freaking fantastic though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never been able to get into DCS.  The environment is just so dead and sterile after 20 years of Falcon 4's campaign.  Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've never been able to get into DCS.  The environment is just so dead and sterile after 20 years of Falcon 4's campaign.  Or am I missing something?
View Quote
There are some decent enough missions that people have created.  I've been playing on one of the more popular multiplayer servers that has folks doing different objectives together.  It's a lot better than just flying along by yourself.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are some decent enough missions that people have created.  I've been playing on one of the more popular multiplayer servers that has folks doing different objectives together.  It's a lot better than just flying along by yourself.
View Quote
Yeah, multi is always better.  I've got a group of guys I play the IL-2 Battle of X series with, but life has gotten in the way of most of us the past few years.  What's the multi scene like typically?  Force on Force, Coops, dogfight or just depends on the server I guess?
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, multi is always better.  I've got a group of guys I play the IL-2 Battle of X series with, but life has gotten in the way of most of us the past few years.  What's the multi scene like typically?  Force on Force, Coops, dogfight or just depends on the server I guess?
View Quote
Depends on the server.  Georgia at War is PvE, but there are busy PvP servers.

If you want in to get together online to play I’ll get you my TeamSpeak server info and coordinate a time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

F-14 trailer.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID1sE2xfwU
View Quote
This gives me a huge boner. I might actually try DCS out. I already have a HOTAS & pedal set.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just can't get excited about the F-14.
Don't know why, never have liked it.
The module looks freaking fantastic though.
View Quote
I pre-ordered it in spite of the fact I really don't give a shit about the Tomcat. I think the module will be amazing, and multi crew is really going to add a lot of depth I think. I'm honestly more excited for them to do a full Intruder module.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you want in to get together online to play I’ll get you my TeamSpeak server info and coordinate a time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got my stuff set back up and have been playing a lot but still am terrible, so PVP is probably not ideal for me right now. What are some good servers with PVE?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just got my stuff set back up and have been playing a lot but still am terrible, so PVP is probably not ideal for me right now. What are some good servers with PVE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My go-to right now is Georgia at War.  Install SRS so you can talk to other folks.  They have a wiki if you search for it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My go-to right now is Georgia at War.  Install SRS so you can talk to other folks.  They have a wiki if you search for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I'll check it out. Have SRS installed, just need to figure out how it works now! Off to YT...
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

F-14 trailer.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fID1sE2xfwU
View Quote
LOL - found this over at the DCS forums

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought F18 over the weekend and was able to land on the carrier and air refuel both on my second attempt.  VR is awesome for depth perception on stuff like that.  Now I just need a 2080Ti to replace my 1070.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#33]
VR is amazing to play in but it has a few limits.  Reading displays is tough and spotting aircraft in the distance isn’t as easy.  But when the JHMCS drops it should be rather epic.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Im still trying to get my TM WartHog Hotas, Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFD's, TrackIR to play nice together! :D

There is so much more controls today than back in the old days of Falcon 4, EuroFighter, Janes Combat, etc sims.

I do have my old f16 FLCS and TQS somewhere.  Need to find those and do the upgrade on the TQS.  I am not a huge fan of the Warthogs throttle at all.

But as it is right now, I just dont get the feeling I am getting max thrust from the plane with the current throttle settings.  Full mil power only gets me to like 300 or so.  Afterburner only maxes me out around 500-550.   And apparently, I have no weapons controls mapped to the HOTAS system.  UGH!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Im still trying to get my TM WartHog Hotas, Rudder Pedals, Cougar MFD's, TrackIR to play nice together! :D

There is so much more controls today than back in the old days of Falcon 4, EuroFighter, Janes Combat, etc sims.

I do have my old f16 FLCS and TQS somewhere.  Need to find those and do the upgrade on the TQS.  I am not a huge fan of the Warthogs throttle at all.

But as it is right now, I just dont get the feeling I am getting max thrust from the plane with the current throttle settings.  Full mil power only gets me to like 300 or so.  Afterburner only maxes me out around 500-550.   And apparently, I have no weapons controls mapped to the HOTAS system.  UGH!
View Quote
You need to make sure your axis range values are correct for the throttle.
I was having the same issue until I found some costume settings over at the ED forums under "input and output" section

ETA
I upgraded my warthog stick base to the Vipril Mongoose T-50.  
HUGE improvement!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe it's just me, but the F18 seems so antiquated with its cockpit systems compared to the F16 or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.  20 years of Falcon 4 muscle memory certainly isn't helping.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, remember that right now only a fraction of the systems are working
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was having the same issue until I found some costume settings over at the ED forums under "input and output" section

ETA
HUGE improvement!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13451/AAE8B63C-643C-47AA-9469-00B4AC5C599C_jpeg-729399.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  Makes sense.  Reading up on the issue says to not use windows game controller to calibrate.  Going to try it with the TM software and see if that corrects the issue.

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ETA
HUGE improvement!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/13451/AAE8B63C-643C-47AA-9469-00B4AC5C599C_jpeg-729399.JPG
View Quote
I've seen a lot of love for the mongoose, what exactly is the issue that it fixes?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Look up warthog "sticktion".

Also, the way the warthog base is designed causes a very distinct "center".
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have something like a six inch extension on my warthog and it turned it into a brand new stick.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have something like a six inch extension on my warthog and it turned it into a brand new stick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any suggestions on a decent extension?

Also, has anyone used the Monster Tech chair mounts for the warthog?   Looking at something like this.  But it is a little pricey, but shouldnt be that hard to build my own version.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Any suggestions on a decent extension?

Also, has anyone used the Monster Tech chair mounts for the warthog?   Looking at something like this.  But it is a little pricey, but shouldnt be that hard to build my own version.
View Quote
I built my own extension.  Also I built my own chair and mounts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ETA
HUGE improvement!
View Quote
I bought a bunch of gear from both VPC and VKB.  It's funny how after you get into guns, all other hobbies seem more affordable than they used to be!  I've spent more on ammo than my entire pile of flight sim equipment, and it's a pretty big pile.  I like the VPC Virpil gear quite a bit, but I think I like the VKB just a little better.  It's a little more delicate & precise, and I really like how the gimbals work.  But both are great sticks & gimbals.  Definitely next-gen beyond the Thrustmaster offerings.  More expensive too!  Buy them when you can.  They sell out fast when they become available.

I actually haven't played much DCS before the last few weeks.  I've owned several modules for years, but I only really flew around casually in the quick missions and was honestly a bit intimidated by the complex mapping I would have to undertake to properly fly them.  Sort of a "I don't want to start, until I can do it right" mentality.  I've have spent much more time playing the current IL2 offerings, but I got inspired by this YouTube video to finally get going.  Great action between the 6-13 minute marks in this clip.

So I've finally started investing the time to learn in-depth and I'm having a blast in DCS.  I started with the Mirage 2000, learning cold start and now working on the radar modes and missile combat.  Lots to still learn.  I asked my wife for the F18 module for Christmas, but we'll see...  she'll probably get me the L39 because she won't be able to tell the difference .

Ralfi's Alley - Taking out a Bear with the DCS F-18
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Got my 2 Neewer 8" displays in yesterday.   Now working on a mounting plate to 3d print to attach the cougars to the screens.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
its been a learning experience for me. just now learning about acm mode and other stuff. i thought the only way to radar lock something before was to select it on the radar lol.

what happens to me a lot is i get so far into a menu I dont know how to get back out. like ill get into a radar mode that I dont know how to back out of so I can increase my scan range for instance. this is usually when Im messing with the sensor switch on the joystick
View Quote
If I understand your issue correctly, push the button above the boxed "ACM" on the top row of the DDI and it should return you to BVR mode.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#50]
I can’t help you.  I’ve honestly never looked at the tracks after a flight.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top