Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2009 4:31:39 PM EDT
I see where some of you run 6 miles here, 7 miles there.   What is your per mile pace?  Do you tend to slow down as you go?  

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i run about 9-9:30 minute miles during training

i dont slow down, i usually pick up the pace as i go after getting warmed up

i run 7-7:30 in a 5k race

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I having been trying like hell to break 2 hours in my half marathon.  I have the same slow, plodding pace at most distances without much variation.  Garmin Training Center categorizes it as a "fast jog" at about 9:15-9:30 which pisses me off.   I am going to get the shirt I read about in Runner's World: "I'm Slow, I Know, Get Over It."  This is my last run at 14 miles I averaged 9:26 on a 7 mile run about 9:16.  I am trying intervals to up the pace because hills are not helping.  Maybe the link works without a Garmin account:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12215091
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I having been trying like hell to break 2 hours in my half marathon.  I have the same slow, plodding pace at most distances without much variation.  Garmin Training Center categorizes it as a "fast jog" at about 9:15-9:30 which pisses me off.   I am going to get the shirt I read about in Runner's World: "I'm Slow, I Know, Get Over It."  This is my last run at 14 miles I averaged 9:26 on a 7 mile run about 9:16.  I am trying intervals to up the pace because hills are not helping.  Maybe the link works without a Garmin account:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12215091

go run some 5Ks - you will get faster as the crowd and adrenaline tends to make you to run faster - your not settling into a long half marathon, its 20-30 minutes where you give 100% effort and its over - should  improve speed

also run some 800m intervals at a HS track 1 day a week , that should help also

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
If I'm running 6 or 7, my pace is 7:45-8:00 per mile.

My 13-15 mile runs on the weekend start at 9:00 for the first mile, then I settle in about at about 8:30 pace.  Once I hit 10 miles, I'll up the pace if I have anything in the tank.  I always try to negative split my long runs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
1 mile = 6:30
3 miles = 8:10
5-7 miles = 8:40
10-12 miles= 9:40
Marathon= 10:30

I usually run "long" training runs 1-2 minutes per mile slower than my "best" pace.

I can only run a 6:30 if I run "wide open." Oddly, I can crank out a 7:30 7 miles into a long run. I guess my body is just not trained to run fast.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
For 10K, my pace is right around 8 minute miles and it pretty much stays the same the whole way.
For 5K, I get down to about 7:30-7:45 minutes and it also stays consistent the whole way, unless I'm doing speedwork.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
1 mile = 7:30
3 miles = 8:30
6 miles = 9
9 miles = 9:30
12 miles = 10
13+ miles = 10:30ish
I'm allegedly running a marathon (26.2) in 2 months and i have a feeling I'll end up around 11 minutes per mile there.  However, I signed up for a pace group that will run 10:30s so we'll see.

I tend to start out slower and and settle into a good pace.  I really try for negative splits (run second half faster than the first).  If I have anything left in the tank, I sprint the last quarter mile.

Sometimes I'm just tired or not feeling it that day and if so, I'll plod along at a slow pace (maybe 10 min/mile) for only 2-3 miles and call it good.  I figure it's 2-3 more miles than most people got in.  OTOH, sometimes I'm just feeling good and everything is falling in line and I'll smoke out long distances at faster paces.

It's supposed to be fun so there's no sense in killing yourself if you're not having a good day.  

My generic advice to running newbies is to run for time, not pace or distance.  In other words, run 30 minutes instead of 3 miles or 10 minute miles.  Just however long you happen to run in 30 minutes.   You'll figure out what a good pace for you is soon.

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
My last 10 miler (Army 10 Miler in D.C.) was 8:45 splits.

I could have gone faster but I had to weave through a lot of people as I had placed myself in the 10 min/mi group. I learned my lesson, always pace yourself in a group 30 seconds faster than you think you are so you have to run around lots of people.

This advice is not applicable in races which do';t have large crowds.

I also tend to go faster as I get moving. I'd like to get it down to 7:30 or less for 10 miles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I see where some of you run 6 miles here, 7 miles there.   What is your per mile pace?  Do you tend to slow down as you go?  

My pace often picks up in the second half of a run
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1 mile = 7:30
3 miles = 8:30
6 miles = 9
9 miles = 9:30
12 miles = 10
13+ miles = 10:30ish
I'm allegedly running a marathon (26.2) in 2 months and i have a feeling I'll end up around 11 minutes per mile there.  However, I signed up for a pace group that will run 10:30s so we'll see.

I tend to start out slower and and settle into a good pace.  I really try for negative splits (run second half faster than the first).  If I have anything left in the tank, I sprint the last quarter mile.

Sometimes I'm just tired or not feeling it that day and if so, I'll plod along at a slow pace (maybe 10 min/mile) for only 2-3 miles and call it good.  I figure it's 2-3 more miles than most people got in.  OTOH, sometimes I'm just feeling good and everything is falling in line and I'll smoke out long distances at faster paces.

It's supposed to be fun so there's no sense in killing yourself if you're not having a good day.  

My generic advice to running newbies is to run for time, not pace or distance.  In other words, run 30 minutes instead of 3 miles or 10 minute miles.  Just however long you happen to run in 30 minutes.   You'll figure out what a good pace for you is soon.

Absolutely everything he said, with the exception that I usually run for distance, not time.  If I only have 30 min, then sure, I tune my workout to that.  But ideally, I shoot for distance, and it takes as long as it takes.  And yeah, emphasis on the fact that if it's just not an "on" day, don't kill yourself over it.  Do what you can so you're still getting a workout, but not injuring yourself, or making yourself hate it so bad you stop.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#11]
wow

I suck

I run 3 miles in 32 minutes
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure why it matters what pace other people run?  Everyone is going to be at different levels of fitness/ability..

..But to run longer and further distance, it's best to try to run at an even pace.. If you find yourself having to slow down, it's not a big deal, just slow down.. but next time start out a little slower and try to run an even pace.  Thats the key to running for distance!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got my 1.5 miles to 10:00.  Hoping to get 1 minute miles for 3 miles.

I usually run every other day.  Every other of those sessions will either be distance: 3-4 miles, or intervals: Lap sprints.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
wow

I suck

I run 3 miles in 32 minutes

You don't suck at all.  

I couldn't run more than a mile the first time I tried it.  Took me months to be able to work up to 3 miles, and even then it was HARD WORK.  I entered a 5k (3.1 miles) and ran my heart out - took me something like 31:30 or so.  I mean, i busted my ass and couldn't even stand when I hit the finish - literally!   In contrast, this morning I did a 12 mile run at a faster pace than that 5k and it was easy.  Much, much easier than that 5k.  I was eating jelly beans and jamming on my ipod and really wasn't working all that hard.

Put the time and miles in and you'll get where you want to be.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For regular training runs I average around 8.5 min miles.
If i am training for a 5k I'll crank it up a bit to around 7.75 - 8 minute miles.

For longer runs (10k or longer) I'm pretty happy around the 8.5-9 minute mile pace and find that after 2-3 miles I just find my zone and stay at that pace until I feel like stopping. If anything i actually pick up a bit of speed in the later miles because im past the point of being winded.

Everyone is probably different...I find that after around 4-5 miles the rest is 99.9% mental...your fitness isnt as much of a factor at that point as your mindset is. At least that is my approach...and of course there are limits....after about 10 miles my body starts to get pissed off at me
Past 1/2 marathon distance the whole 'positive attitude' thiing is a factor because your body sure as hell wants to stop.

Cant say what happens past that because I havent figured out how to will my body further than 13-14 miles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top