Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2007 10:21:23 AM EDT
I can't move up in my deadlift and shrugs because my lack of grip strength prevents me from holding onto the weights.

Also, I would like to be able to crush the hands of people I don't like when I shake them. and maybe tear phone books in half as a party gag.

Can someone give me advice on how to improve my hand strength?
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
have you ever seen those spring loaded hand grips.  you basically just squeeze them together and the spring fights against you.  works really well and will help with forearms too.  although there are other exercises for forearms
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't move up in my deadlift and shrugs because my lack of grip strength prevents me from holding onto the weights.

Also, I would like to be able to crush the hands of people I don't like when I shake them. and maybe tear phone books in half as a party gag.

I would but i cant cause you might loose an eye .

happened to me years ago. guy put the super grip on my handshake and i reacted strangely and by accident my finger went into his eye..
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

happened to me years ago. guy put the super grip on my handshake and i reacted strangely and by accident my finger went into his eye..

At least you're not one of those girly men who keeps his index finger extended when he shakes hands.

There's nothing that says, "I'm a bitch" better than the safety handshake.

ETA: Ironmind is the shit
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least you're not one of those girly men who keeps his index finger extended when he shakes hands.

explain the safety handshake please...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get it either.

Really?

If you extend your index finger when shaking hands, it prevents it from getting crushed.  Changes the alignment of the finger bones in the hand (metacarpels), which keep your hand from being folded over.

So when you feel someone shake with their index finger extended, it means he's decided you were someone who might crush his delicate little paw.

I thought this was pretty common knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get it either.

Really?

If you extend your index finger when shaking hands, it prevents it from getting crushed.  Changes the alignment of the finger bones in the hand (metacarpels), which keep your hand from being folded over.

So when you feel someone shake with their index finger extended, it means he's decided you were someone who might crush his delicate little paw.

I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

Ah I see. I did not know and never thought of that. I always give a firm handshake but don't try and crush the guy's hand. I don't have anything to prove.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#11]
You know what the difference between pink and purple.

Grip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
straight bar shrugs
hangs

good for kung-fu grip

ETA:  no straps... if you can't hold it, don't lift it (when working on grip, at least).  On the shrugs, do em with lighter weight until you can't hold the bar any more.  Do a timed hang (bar to chest, hold... even after your arms straighten... until you drop) at the end of every workout every day and log your time.  Watch that number increase over time....
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
straight bar shrugs
hangs

good for kung-fu grip

ETA:  no straps... if you can't hold it, don't lift it (when working on grip, at least).  On the shrugs, do em with lighter weight until you can't hold the bar any more.  Do a timed hang (bar to chest, hold... even after your arms straighten... until you drop) at the end of every workout every day and log your time.  Watch that number increase over time....

I haven't been there for a while but a think the ironmind site covers all that stuff.

Me and my partner used to each grab the thick part of the bar and hold until one of us dropped it, then switched hands.  We would walk around the yard pinching a 5 in between 2 10s, etc.

I think the biggest thing that has built up my forearms/grip is using heavy dumbells.  A larger quantity of muscles seem to be required to stabilize a couple of big bells over your head, than just gripping a bar, IMHO.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you  thought about doing some rope climbing?  This builds hand strength fairly quickly.  Callouses too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Spend an hour or two in the BOTD forum

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top