Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2007 8:32:06 PM EDT
I haven't had a drink in 7 months and I've lost 80lbs, but I get this hankering for a cigarete and a bottle of wine, or champain. I've heard alcohol can actually be healthy. What is the general consensus? How many calories are in wine anyways?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#1]
As much as I hated to admit it, I always put on strength and muscle mass when I didn't restrict my alcohol intake.

I made some HUGE gains working legs and shoulders on Sundays, after getting sloshed on Saturday nights.

I don't know if it's just the additional calories, or if there are other factors present.

Your Mileage May Definitely Vary

Nevermind.  I missed the diet part.  If you feel the need to drink, stick to vodka/rum and diet soda, but it ain't a great weight loss method.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
No problems and probably benefits from moderate consumption - 1-2 drinks/day.  Adverse consequences from consuming greater amounts.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Some pro's still workout while drunk. Arnold and his crew were wasted or high alot of the time. I dont do it but it sure sounds fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 50, active, and in pretty good shape for my age.

The older I got, the less alcohol seemed to fit in my life.  Coupla beers, and I was looking for a place to sleep, and I didn't feel very well.

Matter of fact, I drank a beer yesterday evening - first one in at least a year.

I don't think I'll be drinking another one anytime soon.

It has been pointed out to me that I'm too much a control freak and wound too tight to drink alcohol.  HAHA!
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I seemed to loose weight when I drank daily. I definatly didn't gain weight, but maybe it was because I had an upset stomach and diarea all the time when I was drinking?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]

I am 53 and have cut my alcohol considerably. Only 3 or 4 glasses of wine a week. For me that is a good amount, usually red wine. Depending on your age and chemistry, well, don't be afraid to experiment. Its all part of a formula and what you want to achieve.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
An important thing to consider about alcohol is that your body will metabolize alcohol ahead of anything else.  While that post-workout beer may taste awesome, it will impede your post-workout refueling.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd have a beer or two later in the day after a workout.

Nothing too special about it, its just calories.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#9]
They say a drink a day helps lower cholesterol. Whether is a shot of spirits, a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top