Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 3:11:26 PM EDT
The reason I ask is that I drink my protein shake (40 grams protein whey powder) about an hour before I do my 3 mile run. I eat a nice dinner about an hour after my run, usually consisting of chicken as a main course.

Does it really matter?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it will help out some what to drink a shake before, as it will provide your muscles with the protein that you need under duress.  The real benifit is after your work out as you have just drained your body of all of your nutrients it needs.  So you can still drink one before, but I would definitly drink one  immediately after (within 1 hr to be most effective).  I would also add some sort of simple carb (fruit or dextrose) to your shake.  During your work out you will use all of your blood sugar.  Taking in simple carbs after a session will boost it back up and give energy to your body to use that protien to under go protein synthesis.

ETA: The reason you want to do a shake is because its easy for your body to break down and use right away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
After your workout
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
After is most important for weightlifting.  With carbs so you get a nice fat insulin spike.  You have increased insulin sensitivity after lifting and your muscles can absorb much more carbs / amino acids after lifting.  High insulin levels drive all the aminos home to the muscles.  Without a large insulin spike you will waste a greater percentage of your protein drink.  As stated previously you need it within about an hour. This is for weightlifting.  For running you biggest concern is carbs and not protein as you will not be building fast twitch muscle tissue from running.  You want a combination of fructose and glucose to replenish your liver and restore carbohydrate stores.  I cant remember the % off hand but many carb replenisher drinks are based off the study that that showed which combinations of carbs had the best results. You need fructose even though its a slow release sugar because it will directly replenish the liver and aid in glycogen replenishment of the liver.  Do a Medline search with search terms endurance and fructose and you will find it and the associated percentages and grams per pound of bodyweight.  I dont think protein timing really matters very much for someone running and not lifting, just a personal opinion.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
after
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
carbs before

protien after
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
After is most important for weightlifting.  With carbs so you get a nice fat insulin spike.  You have increased insulin sensitivity after lifting and your muscles can absorb much more carbs / amino acids after lifting.  High insulin levels drive all the aminos home to the muscles.  Without a large insulin spike you will waste a greater percentage of your protein drink.  As stated previously you need it within about an hour. This is for weightlifting.  For running you biggest concern is carbs and not protein as you will not be building fast twitch muscle tissue from running.  You want a combination of fructose and glucose to replenish your liver and restore carbohydrate stores.  I cant remember the % off hand but many carb replenisher drinks are based off the study that that showed which combinations of carbs had the best results. You need fructose even though its a slow release sugar because it will directly replenish the liver and aid in glycogen replenishment of the liver.  Do a Medline search with search terms endurance and fructose and you will find it and the associated percentages and grams per pound of bodyweight.  I dont think protein timing really matters very much for someone running and not lifting, just a personal opinion.

Thanks for further explaining the use of simple carbs post work out. But to add to what you said, dextose is the same thing that glucose is, just extracted from corn.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
carbs before

protien after

+1
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm no nutrisional[sp] expert however I used to drink mine after also, mixed w/milk and icecream so's not to lose weight. Now,......well its all about matatince, and flexiability.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I drink one after all my runs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm no nutrisional[sp] expert however I used to drink mine after also, mixed w/milk and icecream so's not to lose weight. Now,......well its all about matatince, and flexiability.

I never thought about icecream.   That would be great on a bulk.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#11]
40 grams isn't really worth the effort.  did you know that the recommended intake of protein is one gram for every pound of body weight.  that should come as some bad news to all you 300lb  powerlifters--yikes!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
40 grams isn't really worth the effort.  did you know that the recommended intake of protein is one gram for every pound of body weight.  that should come as some bad news to all you 300lb  powerlifters--yikes!

you dont take it all in one sitting. And 1 gram is the minimum...2 to 3 grams is more like it, espeically if you are a 300lb beast.  Ive gone up to 2 grams and its a tough job...the eating is more taxing then the workouts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you dont take it all in one sitting. And 1 gram is the minimum...2 to 3 grams is more like it, espeically if you are a 300lb beast.  Ive gone up to 2 grams and its a tough job...the eating is more taxing then the workouts.

Only if you are on some sort of AAS.  Basically if you eat to much protein your body will just burn it rather than use it, wasting it...  1 to 1.5 being optimal.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
carbs before

protien after

+ another.

Carbs are a better fuel for aerobic exercise. Protein after for muscle repair.

And yeah, try and dump in the protein within an hour of your workout as your body is trying to replenish depleted nutrients after high stress. "Strike while the iron is hot" kind of thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Only if you are on some sort of AAS.  Basically if you eat to much protein your body will just burn it rather than use it, wasting it...  1 to 1.5 being optimal.

Don't dismiss the power of high protein diets. In fact you elude to high protein diets only being good for steroid users but my experience over the last 15years or so says otherwise. While steroid users of course need high protein so do natural athletes as well. Of course everyone is different but don't judge it until you have given it a try and done it properly.

From your link. Also, the studies listed on that forum peg protein intake at closer to 1.5-1.75gr/lbs-body weight as being optimal. 2.0gr+ for juicers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't dismiss the power of high protein diets. In fact you elude to high protein diets only being good for steroid users but my experience over the last 15years or so says otherwise. While steroid users of course need high protein so do natural athletes as well. Of course everyone is different but don't judge it until you have given it a try and done it properly.

From your link. Also, the studies listed on that forum peg protein intake at closer to 1.5-1.75gr/lbs-body weight as being optimal. 2.0gr+ for juicers.

I agree that high protein diets are great for natural users, but basically you get to a point where unless you use some sort of juice, you are just oxidizing the extra protein.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top