Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 3:35:14 PM EDT
I'm starting back lifting weights for the first time since high school (4 years ago).  I'm 6'2, and 275 lbs.  Whats the best type of lifting?  I'm talking like whats the best ratio of reps/exercises/weight..etc.  I was thinking starting out I would do 3 exercises per muscle (or should i do 4 exercises per muscle??)   and do sets of 10,8,6, and 4, increasing the weight with each set.   I also figured a plan like this...

Monday-chest/tri's
Tuesday-cardio
wednesday-back/bi's
thursday-cardio
friday-legs/shoulders
sat/sunday-cardio

would something like this be ok for me?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Id say start here:www.wannabebig.com

A good lifting routine: 1st step to getting ripped <---Edit: dont let the shortness of this routine mislead you, it will kick your ass. Youll need the time off it says to take. MAKE SURE TO EAT YOUR PROTEIN, 1g per lb of body weight per day, rest days too!

How to do various exercises: www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#2]
What are your goals?  Are you 6'2", 275 lbs, ripped w/ 10% body fat, looking to add more muscle, or are you 6'2", 275 lbs, 25% body fat, and looking to lose 20 pounds of fat?  Goals determine your workout.  Remember the fitness triad:  progressive resistance training, cardio 3x a week for at least 30 minutes at 65%-75% of your max heart rate, and DIET which is the most important piece.  Again, diet is determined by your goals.  If you're looking to lose weight, 1 gram protein per lb body weight is too much, if you're looking to add mass, that's about right but you need to hit the weights hard.  Cardio is also determined by your goals, longer workouts/lower heart rate for losing weight, higher heart rate/less time for cardiovascular fitness, and if you're really looking to put on mass, then you need to take it very easy on the cardio all together.  The best weightlifting/fitness website by far is www.muscle101.com.  No ads, just one guy who does his research, practices what he preaches, and knows his stuff.  Read every page; it covers diet, workouts, cardio, attitude, etc.

I've been lifting weights and running for 17 years straight, 14 of them in the military.  It's very easy to tell who has goals they're working toward in the gym, and who's just wasting their time, going through the motions, and paying no attention to diet, cardio, or variations in their lifting routine.  The more you know, the better your results and the better you'll look/feel.  Never stop learning and exploring.  Fitness is a mindset, not an hour in the gym 6 days a week.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
well I'm looking to lose weight, I'm no where near the ripped look with %10 body fat.  thanks for the information
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
First of all you dont have a leg day by itself.  Your legs are your largest muscles.  Do not neglect them. Do them on one day by themselves.  You should be nauseas if you had a good leg day and should not be able to do shoulders as well.  I prefer to do opposing muscle groups on the same day.  I alternate bodyparts between sets.  THis allows for maximum recovery between sets on the same body part.  I never lift more weight each set unless it is a warm up.  This will only fatigue you and result in less maximum weight you can lift during your real working sets.  I lift to failure EVERY SET. I do this EVERY WORKOUT.  I never burn out doing this as many would believe.  Usually I find I can do 2 less reps on average each successive set.  So if I could do a particular weight 8 times to failure on my first set then I would usually do about 6 my second and only 4 my last set.  I am toast in 3 sets and need an extended recovery before I hit that bodypart again so I work an opposing muscle group.  I only lift 1-1.5 hours per sesion 3 times a week.  I dont get any extra benefit from more than this if I am including other exercise like running, sparring or whatever.  I do 3-4 exerecises per muscle group. My lifting schedule is like this:

Mon Chest/Bi
Wed Legs
Fri Shoulders/Back

Lets take my Fri workout.  It starts with overhead shoulder press, then heavy rows, then latteral raises, then pulldowns etc.  The more rested I am the higher the weight I will lift.  The more I lift the more I grow.  I also make sure if I can ever get an 11th rep on any exercise I move to a higher weight and never go back down.  I move up to a weight I can do for 6-8 reps my first set to failure.

I lift like this to gain muscle, I lift like this to lose bodyfat and retain muscle, I do not change up my routine because it never really plateaus on me.  I always can get an extra rep in on one of the sets on every exercise at a minimum.  Growth slows but does not ever really stop till I sustain an injury or have something else interfere like the need to do a reduced calorie diet because I have put on too much fat while bulkig up.

As far as cardio do it every day, 6 days a week.  Do it for an hour every day if you can. You would need to do a ridiculous amount of cardio before it becomes counterproductive.  My cousin went from 6'1" 290 of fat to a hard, muscualr 206 in 9 months and he regualrly did 7 days a week cardio and would burn over 2000 cals on some sessions.

I firmly believe 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is great for gaining and for dieting.  It lowers your meals glycemic index, keeps you full and assures your heavy lifting while dieting keeps as much muscle on your frame as possible.  Refined sugar is what I have found to be the worst thing you can eat... far worse than fat or protein or even alchohol.  Cut out all refined sugar right off the bat.  No soda, no sweets, no cheat days for sweets.  Cheat days are for maintenance IMO.

I have been lifting probably 14 of the last 16 years.  I just came off a year of doing absoloutley nothing due to several reasons.  Before I stopped I was 6'2" 215 with 8% bf.  After the year lay off I was 206 and about 14% bf.  After 2 months of hitting the gym I am back to 225 and 12% bf.  At my largest I was 232 at 10% bf.  While I am not the same frame as you my cousin who went from 290 to 206 used the exact program I use and got in better shape than he ever thought he could. He went from no being able to do a single pull up to doing one handed pullups.

Remember though.  No amount of fancy lifting scedule will make up for a poor diet.  If you fail in your diet you will fail.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
well I'm looking to lose weight, I'm no where near the ripped look with %10 body fat.  thanks for the information

You might have to dip below 10% to get the ripped look. Atleast thats how it is for me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I do.

Mon: Bench, Curl, and ''Skull Chrushes''
Tues: Leg press, Leg curls, and squat.
wed: Bench, Curl, and ''Skull Chrushes''
Thursday: Leg press, Leg curls, and squat.
Friday: Bench, Curl, and ''Skull Chrushes''

The way I bench is: 135-10 155-10 185-10 205-5 225-5 205-4 285-5 155-10 135-10.
The way I curl is: 45-10 65-10 95-5 135-4 95-4 65-5 45-10
Skull chrushes: Strait bar on the bench 45-10 65-10 45-10 45-10
Leg press: 300-10 350-10 400-5 450-5 500-4 450-5 350-5 300-10
Leg curls- 90-10 90-10 135-10 90-10

I do run But its cold out side so I can't. I don't know if you can do that weight. But if you do something like it in that pattern then maybe that will help. When I started doing that my max bench went from 265 to 285 and this tuesday Im going to shoot for 300. My curling went up only ten pounds but curling is harder then benching (135) Skull chrushes I just started. The leg press is kind of weird because my max is over 700 pounds but the machine has a thing on it that says don't add more then what ever weight and I think im close to it.

I'm Only 16 though and I weigh 195.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Way to work your back, shoulders, and calves!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
No one has yet so go here

www.crossfit.com
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#10]
DevL is steering you straight.  Also, wannabebig is a good resource (check the forums).  Track your diet at Fitday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top