Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 10:10:35 PM EDT
I'm 22 and I'm looking to lose weight, about 50 lbs worth of fat.  I'm 6'2" and 275 lbs, in high school while playing football I was 225lbs, and I'd like to get back to that weight.  I was wondering what ya'll have tried and what suggestions you have for doing this. thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#1]
eat less, and work out more

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
eat less, and work out more

Eat less of the right foods, work out more. Go at it steady and for the long run. You will drop weight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been on MediFast since January 1 and hit the magic 50lbs lost yesterday morning. It's not for everyone but it works for me. You can google medifast and do the research. I still need to lose another 50 but I'll take halfway in under 2 months. YRMV.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Take up running.  

No, not marathons, but take up a few miles a week and run a local 5K.

It'll melt off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#5]
exercise, eat suggested servings of low calorie food, and drink atleast a gallon of water a day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Eat less food is the most important thing you can do.  If you do not nothing will work.  It will work all by itself if you do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
This girl told me something which seems to really help if you workout.

No sugar and carbs after 2 PM.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
South Beach and exercise.  I have had alot of  weight struggles since I was 11, been on alot of diets.  Right now I am in the process of losing 50 lbs myself.  Was at 233 need to be at 183 ish.  maybe a little lighter but it is hard for me to stay at 175 which is where I like to be.   Anyways out of all the diets I have done south beach is the easiest and works good.  Down 12 lbs in 15 days, weight loss will slow down in your 3rd or 4th week.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm 22 and I'm looking to lose weight, about 50 lbs worth of fat.  I'm 6'2" and 275 lbs, in high school while playing football I was 225lbs, and I'd like to get back to that weight.  I was wondering what ya'll have tried and what suggestions you have for doing this. thanks

Well, First off don't drink soda. You will lose weight. If you want to take it to teh extreme only eat cereal. You will drop it like it's hot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Well, First off don't drink soda. You will lose weight. If you want to take it to teh extreme only eat cereal. You will drop it like it's hot.

I know about the no soda thing so I've already stopped that. How do you eat your cereal (i.e. milk, no milk. skim or whole and so forth) and what brand do you eat. I live in the dorm so no ovens or anything so easy and cheap is key. We have a Subway on campus so I'm just resorting to the 8 grams of fat subs or whatever they're called for most of my meals but I need a breakfast.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont worry about dropping weight worry about looking better. Weight doesnt mean anything... its how it looks to you... that said... I eat Heart Smart ceral it seems healthy but there is the special K challenge...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been going to Dr Bernstein Weight Loss Clinic for 7 weeks and I have lost 48 pounds.  My blood sugar has leveled out to normal levels ( I am Type 2) and my Doc says my blood work is perfect.  My LDL (bad cholesteral) is at 53, again my says he would be happy at 100-110.
They check urine three times a week for ketosis (fat burning) and to ensure no protein is present (evidence of muscle mass loss).  I have never felt better, getting ready to compete at US OPEN Karate Tourny this Summer.
In short, you need to see a MD or nutritionalist and get some professional advice or you will dump the weight and gain it all back in a year or so.  If the person you talk to does not have a degree or MD.......run like hell, there are people who will hurt you to make a buck.

Good luck

R/
Mike
VA Beach
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#13]
About a year and a half ago, I was 60 lbs overweight. I gave up drinking pop (soda, Coke, depending where you are from) and lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks. I drink either water, or brewed ice tea, now. I also cut down eating out at the fast food resturants. If I have to eat at one, most offer salads and bottled water. I also observed how many hours I sat behind the computer; approx. 15 hrs per day. No wonder I was overweight and my back was going out every 2 weeks! So, I cut the computer time, started walking (try listening to Tony Robbins, Daily Magic for motivation) and then joined a martial arts class. After 6 months of this, I dropped down to 150lbs. People were taking up a collection behind my back, thinking I had cancer and was undergoing chemo! I finally stablized my weight by going from a 1200 kcal per day diet to 1400 kcals per day. As of today, I am 168, which is healthy for my height (5'11) and have held this weight for almost 7 months. Watch what you eat, drink more water, and exercise, is the best advice anybody can give you...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Try the McDougal diet...vegetarian, I know it is hard and boring. Drop the sodas, milk, cheese eggs and red meat. Get the book and or the DVD he can say it better than I can. Dairy products are really bad, even not fat milk...Regular exercise... I would avoid running until you drop a lot of weight.  Yes it is important to drink lots and lots of water....Good luck  .
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Look into Weight Watchers...............
It absolutley works.  I have been on it for six months this week and it has been easy.  I didn't have to cut ANYTHING out of my diet.....only the portions and I didn't increase my exercise one bit.  It has a foolproof tracking system and 2 distinct program types depending on your preference.  It's cheap and proven.  In fact, Consumer Reports rated it as the ONLY weight loss program on the market today that actually works.  Both to lose weight and to keep it off.  
I reached 66 pounds at my weigh in today.  I only have 10 more to go to reach my goal

Here is a before and after pic...........The after pic was taken a month ago.  I have since lost an additional 10 pounds.
Before: 42" waist.....After: 34" waist

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Consider weight watchers they will teach you how to eat. The consider Exercising. If you want to learn how to start running IM I will get you started. I got a program that is easy for anybody to start with.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I had the same problem with being active in sports and then stopping all physical activity.  I went from 6'4" @ 245lbs to 321lbs!  It sucked.  Dropping it is a hard road to start down when you've devoleped eating "habits".  I did drop about 44lbs in 12 weeks.  My trick was not eating less or only going for water and cereal, but eating high-volume / low-calorie foods.  not alot of calories in fruits and veggies (salads), but they fill you up fast.  Stay away from calorie dense foods like cheese and carbs.  Granted carbs are needed to keep up your muscle volume, but look into low-glycemic carb food that will help keep you blood sugar and insulin response even.  I also supplemented with a protien shake (designer whey) 3 times a day with each meal to support lean muscle mass.  after awhile, I only ate when i got hungry.  It works.  Used minimal excercise like running 1mile every tue, thu, and sat,  and lifting light/moderate program mon, wed, fri. You'll probably have a good feel for the light workout routines if you've played ball.  It works, and I'm still dropping body fat.  Don't get discouraged if your weight stays the same, go by how your clothes fit in a month or two.  Your lean mass will probably go up a bit, while body fat goes down, so the scale can be deceiving!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top