Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:41:44 AM EDT
As far as I can remember, I've always been a stick. I'm 5'8", 135 lbs and have a metabolism of a hummingbird. If I don't eat every two hours or so I start zoning out and losing focus.

I breezed through most of Army BCT since strength was no problem. The only thing that sucked was my endurance. I'd have no problem for the first 3 km of the roadmarch then it was all suffering. Same with runs, can't go for too long before sucking.

What is a good way to build endurance especially for a skinny guy?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude...  you are built like a runner.  I am built like a penguin (short, pudgy, with a waddle), and I run marathons.

If you wanted to improve your math skills, you would do math problems.  If you want to improve your endurance, take up a physical activity that requires endurance, like road biking or running.

The human body is an amazing thing.  It will adapt to reasonable stress that you put to it.  The more you test and stress your endurance, the more your body will adapt to make it easier for you.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you want to improve your endurance, take up a physical activity that requires endurance, like road biking or running.

+1

Also make sure you're keeping a good diet, a good diet will improve your results as well...kind of like that old analogy about not putting cheap gas in a race car, for your body to perform at it's best you also need to keep a good diet to fuel it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed.  If you want to build endurance, you need to do that which is an endurance exercise.

I really dislike running, so I do biking instead with running once per week.  Basic thing I am working on is endurance also, as I am more of a sprinter.

-Corn
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Alot of people think that running is just something you do and get better at as your body gets stronger. But something you have to actually do is learn to run. You maybe thinking Learn to run I just put one foot in front of the other while bounding forward.  First thing you need to is get out a start doing some running/walking. Go out and just get some comfortable jogging in, and write down in a book how far and how long it took you. you are not looking to set speed records. you are just looking to gather data about where you are in your endurance level.

I am going to bet that you go out and start out to fast. Any decent runner can run up to 50% farther than the maximum they have ever ran. And they do this by controlling thier speed or pace.  This is the part that is learned. This is something that can be taught using a heart rate monitor.

If you are looking to start a running program one thing I tell all new people is go to a running store and get your self a good pair of running shoes. Dont even think about running in Army boots, Basket ball shoes, or soccer cleats. An actual running store may cost a little bit more than and a big chain but you get what you need there. They will put you in a shoe that will actually make running a bit more comfortable. They can tell whether you need a cushioned shoe, motion control or a stability shoe, and they have lots of different models. So many people quit running before they even start becuase they say my feet hurt, my ankles hurt or my knees hurt. If it hurts your doing something wrong.

One last thing set your self a goal. Pick a race 3 to 9 months away between 5k to half marathon and say "I want to run that and finish it." You are looking to simply finish. Your not looking to break a speed record. If you are afraid about alot of people finishing faster than you, You ask any runner who runs races They never look down on anybody who runs slower than them, some people just take a little long checking out the scenery.

If you need a plan alot of people can help you with that here. Most of us need to know where you are in your fitness level and where you want to be. If you are looking for a race What city are you near I can help you find one.  So I hope this helps.

I love running I have ran 4 Half Marathons, it has become a lifestyle for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sixgun357,

Thanks for the advice. Nevermind the pm!

I like your tip how running is learned and not built up, but it is nevertheless easier said than done.

My ultimate goal in running is to improve my 2-mile time for PT tests so my mind is frequently stuck in the "run as fast as you can for two miles then puke and fall over" mode which is what they taught us in basic. However I do realize improving my running is more than just that, but still, I have the unconscious tendency to do that.

I'll try to be more specific as to problems I have. Take for example a few days ago when I went out to the track to run. I set my goal for 3 miles. I really wanted to quit at 1.5 but I knew I was just being lazy so I pushed on. When I finished 2 miles, I was going to slow down my pace for one lap then pick it up and finish the 3, but just as I slowed down, my abs cramped so I stopped at 2.5.

Come to think of it, this thread should be "Help me build my mental endurance"...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well its just something you are going to have to work at. How many days a week do you run? You kinda half to build your confidence also.

If you are only shooting for thee mile the work up should be pretty easy. You can run two miles pretty easy. You have to slow down. I do almost 80% of my running at a pace where I can talk comfortably.
Try running a mile then walking a minute, then walking the rest of your second mile and walk a minute follow by running the rest of the third mile.

The other thing try increasing your distance by 100 or two hundred yards at a time.

Did your abs cramp becuase of too much to eat or drink before hand?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I do almost 80% of my running at a pace where I can talk comfortably.

Okay yeah I can barely breathe not to mention talk when I run. I'll force myself to slow down next time.

I'm pretty sure the cramps were from water since I usually drink lots of water.

Thanks for the tips, now I have something to build upon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Slow down and the speed will come with the distance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
hey bro.

I am not sure if I can help since I have always been pretty decent at running. But this following routine helped with my endurence and speed.

I run(Or other cardio as a substitute) 2-4 times a week now. Normally I do 3 miles and once per week I will push for 6. But I started doing less now, and have a leg day for weights which helped alot!!!

So for the leg day.

Calve raises(2 different angles)
Lunges
Flatback deadlifts(This helped more than anythingelse, not the same as deadlift)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Please excuse the butt-in here, but this is a topic that I too have been trying to work on, but my brain psychs me out most of the time.  How to you feel about the walk/run?  I am working up to a 12.5 minute 1.5 mile, and am just getting started.  I am working on an indoor elevated track.  To start, I have been doing a walk run to build up my endurance.  My goal each time has been to run a little more each session than I walk.  I am not timing myself or worrying about how much distance I am doing, just running/walking for at least a half hour.  I am doing this for two days per week and this week will be starting three days per week.  I have been starting slow due to my size.  6'4" 305.  Much more and my legs hurt so badly, that I lose the motivation...

Am I at least on the right track?  I would at least like to be close to the 1.5 mile goal by mid summer...any suggestions?
Thanks, Don
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
1911Gunner keep up the good work. Its sounds like your on the right track. Walk run is an excellent Idea. I made a post in another forum about and it. About a 30 minute workout the will help to be able to run 3.1 mile. here is a clip from it. But like I said make sure you get your self a good pair of shoes.

Plan on running 4 days a week.

I read about a program that I passed on to several friends and it worked great. Its 6 weeks to running 3 miles.

Week 1 Run 1 minute walk for 5 minutes repeat 5 times
Week 2 Run 2 minutes walk for 4 minutes repeat 5 times
Week 3 Run 3 Minutes walk for 3 minutes repeat 5 times
Week 4 Run 4 minutes walk for 2 minutes repeat 5 times
Week 5 Run 5 minutes walk for 1 minute repeat 5 times
Week 6 Run 30 minutes non stop.

If you follow this program work on covering your time goals. You dont need to run fast just fast to stay faster than a walk. Speed will come with the time. This program works well while running on a track or loops in a park (yeah it might get boring but its a convienent place to go) You dont want to skip too fast in this program follow the time frame. many people get very discouraged becuase they got out run and they are sore and they can not go out a again for a day or two.

Get good shoes before you start. And make a commitment to see this plan thru. I find with my schedual running Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday work best
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
My advice is similar to six-gun's.  I recommend running MWF, if not MT/TF or even MTWTF.

To build up physical/cardiovascular endurance, as well as mental, I recommend running with a buddy who's at a similar level as you.

Find some place you can run for at least 7 miles without turning around.  You should never actually have to run this far, but it's there just in case.

With your buddy, go on runs.  Run at a pace where you can talk with him.  Maybe not have a lengthy discussion, but where you can converse, and every now and then take a break for a few moments to just breathe while running.  It shouldn't be as easy as talking while walking, but you should be able to converse.

Okay, now, at this pace, go running for time.  Run out for 10 minutes, turn around, and run back.  Don't stop at all, except if traffic on your route forces you to.  Each week, add 5 minutes to your total run.  So start by running a total of 20 minutes, 3+ times per week.  Then 25 minutes.  Then 30.  Once you get to a point where you're running for 30+ minutes before turning around (60+ minutes of non-stop running, at a conversational pace), you're good to go and can either just maintain your times and do speed work, or continue increasing your times till you run out of distance, or whatever.

Running for time, instead of distance, greatly increases your ability to run those distances.  Because you don't have the goal "I need to run x amount of miles, then I can puke and fall over."  It's "I have to maintain my run for x amount of time, then I have to turn around and run home."

And for the testimonial, this method got my 2mi run time from about 14:30 to about a 12:30 in 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the help, this is what I need.  Before I started running, I had me feet measured and got a new pair of NB runners, so I think I'm good to go, no pain in the feet or lower back while I'm running.

I'm on my own, no buddies to run with up here so it's me and some tunes to keep me going, but a plan will hopefully go a long way.

Again, thanks for the replies I really appreciate it - I hate running, but it has to get done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top