Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:09:54 AM EDT
I am going to be commissioned in the Navy Reserve on Tuesday, and after the infamous military body fat "tape test", I am 4 pounds over the max weight.  Whether I think the tape test is an accurate indicator of health and fitness doesn't matter at this point...I just need to drop some poundage fast!  I am in pretty good shape; I run 2-3 miles 3 times per week, but I also lift weights 3 times per week.  I do not consider myself heavy, I'm lean with a decent upper body; 5'10 and 196 lbs.  Sorry ladies, no pics.

My plan for the next 4 days is to stop weight lifting, run my ass off today, bike tomorrow, run Monday, and drink a lot of water.  

What foods should I avoid?   Is my plan a good one or does it need to be adjusted?

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon.  Not that it is a good idea to play with body hydration... but if you are well hydrated at the weigh in... that water will add to you total body weight.  Do stuff that will focus on calorie burn... watch calorie intake, and carefully manage your water intake the end of the time you have to deal with "losing" 4 pounds.

Be very careful "playing" with hydration that last day or so... but they won't be able to tell if you lost 4 pound of fat or 4 pounds of water weight when you step on the scale.  BUT... BE CAREFUL NOT TO DEHYDRATE TO THE LEVEL OF PROBLEMS!

Four days is a tough fight for true loss of four pounds.  AND what I have posted IS NOT a proper way to drop 4 pounds... but... it is a thought to carefully consider.  No matter what you do... you don't want to weigh in after drinking a bunch of fluids.  So even if you do not play with your hydration... you might watch fluid intake the day of the weigh in before you step up to the scales.

Just a thought!

Then after you make the weight cut to be selected... work on a real weight loss program.  

Good luck!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#2]
  Enjoy!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
stop eating the day before, sweatsuit, sauna.  Loosing 4 lbs of water weight won't terribly effect you.  It's these guys who wrestle that drop 15 lbs evey other week to make weight that end up with problems
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the tips.  I think I'll skip the ex-lax, though.  I just ran 6 miles, and went shopping for low fat/sodium/dairy food.  Ugh.  I think the lesson I'm learning here is that diet matters, and I'm no longer able to eat anything I want as long as I exercise.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I seen a guy on the UFC lose 15lbs. in 2 hours.....4 should be no problemo
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
celery and water
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
stop eating the day before, sweatsuit, sauna.  Loosing 4 lbs of water weight won't terribly effect you.  It's these guys who wrestle that drop 15 lbs evey other week to make weight that end up with problems

I had weight problems when I was in the Military, couldn't get a waiver, so I would wear one of those rubber sweat suits, wrap up in an electric blanket the day before and sweat boo coo lbs worth of water.  But I ALWAYS made sure my room mate was present and had someone to keep an eye on me.  No sense fainting before you get on the scale.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#9]
DO NOT eat anything after 5pm and small portions for your three squares
Only drink water as your liquids
and sweat all that water out by going for a run a day......for an hour....alternate brisk jogging with periods of flat out sprints

Good luck to you, I commissioned in the navy reserves two weeks ago

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
"legectomy"
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/1426000-1426999/1426901_125.jpg   Enjoy!!

I'll take your:

and raise you a:

But seriously, you could probably lose the 4 lbs in water weight, using methods previously mentioned - perhaps buy some of the PMS diuretics (for your wife/gf, of course ) . The enema can be a last resort .
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
shit, why not just donate blood that day while you're at it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
shit, why not just donate blood that day while you're at it.

Yeah... and get a haircut.. clip yer toenails
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Sweatsuit, sauna, and a treadmill.  Dump that water weight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I dropped 6 pounds so I'm good to go, and I didn't have to resort to Ex-Lax either!  Thanks for all the advice.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tell the waitress to keep em coming...

...and one for a hair of the dog the next morning...

...and since this is the fitness forum...a 6 mile run and a healthy...

Good times
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#19]
so you a LTJG now (Sir)?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, LTJG, and please drop the "sir" 1gunner.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top