Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
Anyone seen and/or used these? They look pretty neat. I've used the Powerblock dumbbells kind of like these; very portable. One of the guys I deployed with had a set and we used the hell out of them.

Bowflex SelectTech

vs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are  a serious weight lifter you will be disapointed with either of those.  The concept is good but the product doesn't cut it.

If you are more interested in "fitness" (cardio, strength, stretching, eating right) and serious strength training isn't a requirement than these will suffice.

If you are looking for a quality adjustable dumbell check out Iron Master

I've got the 85lb set with the add on kit to take each dumbell up to 120lbs.  They are awesome.  Kind of expensive at first glance $705 for the whole set with a stand, but if you price an equal set of hex or pro style dumbells they are about 50% cheaper than the alternative and don't take up much space either.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I"m so NOT serious. Just something I'd consider to play around with while watching TV or something. Living room exercise, ya know?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
What are some other systems besides the ones already listed... preferably the less expensive ones.

I'm actually considering the Bowflex ones, but part of the expense, if I were to take this even remotely serious, would be to also have an adjustable bench to workout with these on. In the past when I worked out with dumbbells a flat/incline bench went hand in hand with them.

I'm pricing by eBay and there deals to be gotten but the shipping is the killer with items such as these.

The reason I'm leaning toward the free weights is my wife has a Total Gym system... that sits in the laundry room. It's such a pain in the ass to take out and set up and there is no place in our house that it could stay set up without getting in the way or creating a hazrd for our son.

makes me wonder if I could convince her to sel it and go in on the free weights with me. Hmmmm....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the Select Tech dumbbells fairly new on the market? If so, how much does Bowflex equipment generally go down in price over time? Worth waiting a few months to a year to buy them a little cheaper or maybe pick them up used?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top