Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 10:09:37 PM EDT
In one week I am entered  to run a Half Marathon. The Detroit INternational marathon. I have been training really hard for this since april. and have my heart set on running it. Its my first half Marathon and My return to competive running since High School. I have not ran since Thrusday becuase My leg has been hurting me. I took saturday off telling myself, I better rest it now becuase it could get worse. I now took Sunday off. I am just so close. I am going to run it and give it my best shot  even if I dont run again till then. Going to the Doctor tomorrow, see what he has to say.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You are doing the right thing.   Your training up til now will get you through the run.  You WILL have to take it easy during the run, don't risk getting hurt bad pushing it.

What part of your leg?

A girl I work with has the same problem.  She is signed up for the marathon, but overtrained and thinks she has a stress fracture in her foot.  She is staying off of it, just doing non-impact cardio.

Good luck, hope it goes well.  And if you can't do it, there is always next time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Its the lower Lateral part of my Quad. Its gotten better. Doctor says I need orthotics, I knda figured that. Basically my foot comes down the wrong way. He gave me this long lecture about the feet being your fondation thats why its sore. Blah blah blah.  Im sitting here wondering what I should eat the mourning of the race. A meal replacement shake, some bananas, I dont know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Eat whatever you would normally eat before your long training runs.  The morning of the race is not the time to experiment with new food.  Trust me on this.  

ETA:  Forget about what is bothering you physically.  I've run races when I had nagging aches and pains and my adrenalin was enough to mask any discomfort.  If you've never run a half marathon before...  run the first 1 to 2 miles at least one minute per mile slower than your goal pace.  Then ramp up the pace.  It is very difficult to not start out too fast, and end up blowing up about mile 10 or 11.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
What he said.  Don't eat anything crazy that morning.  Get up early, have a bagel and/or banana, some water, then relax for a while.

You might want some gatorade or whatever right before the race, as long as you don't have any problem with it normally.

Looks like you might get some rain Saturday (that is race day?)  You might want to wear a hat, just to keep it out of your eyes.  It will keep you cool!  

Good luck, and we want to hear about it after.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Tuesday I ran 3miles to see how I would feel and 4 miles on Wednesday. I felt pretty good. Im taking today off becuase I have to work, I really dont get good runs in on days I work 12 hours. Nice easy 4miles on Friday palnned and 45 minute easy bike ride on Saturday (the race is on Sunday). The bike ride is just to keep me loose nothing hard. Then its off to the race on Sunday. I got a 10 miler in 2 weeks ago felt pretty good I could of went farther. I was hoping to get another one in one week before the race. I guess I just started my taper a little early. I am going to start out nice and slow on Sunday Just looking to finish and get a good time to build on. I am looking to run around a 9 minute a mile pace on sunday. I plan on running 3 half marathons next year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Feeling Pretty good now. Just been doing 3 or 4 mile days. Take Saturday off Maybe the bike ride and its off to the race on Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Well Having Whole grain Spahghetti for dinner tonight. Couple pieces of toast and a few egg whites for breakfast tomorrow. I will have a pocket of energy gels for while i am running. My legs feel pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I ran and competed. I did it in 2 hours 9 minutes. was shooting for 1 hour 57 minutes.  Not as good as I wanted to but I finished. I got a slow start, lots of people and I could not cut through the pack. Next time I will have to go out with a faster group. I wanted to go out with a slow group becuase I run better when I am passing people. Oh well 70 out of 110 not bad for my first one and around 1000 out of 2100 not bad over all. Im taking a week off then going to get back to the running. Shooting to run in Cleveland in May. I love these half marathons
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:24:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Good job on the half.  Your injury did not re-appear?

If you come to Cleveland in May, drop me a email or IM.  I run it every year.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool!

Yeah, traffic can be tough in races with a lot of people.  plus a lot of people start too far forward.

Half marathons are a good distance, long enough to test you, but not enough to kill you like a marathon.  

Keep up the good work....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top