Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 9:20:49 PM EDT
First some background on my physical background, I'm currently down to 310 from my previously high record of 360lbs.  I carry a lot of muscle , but I also carry a lot of fat.  I'm the only guy I know with a visible 6 back and a gut...  ok 4 pack and a gut.    Last year I restructured my diet to include lots of salad with lean chicken, eggs, water, cheese, and very little sugar, which has helped me drop 50 lbs over the last 12 months.  My cheat days are basically grilled hamburger patties and brocolli or fajitas with no tortillas, rice, or beans.  It's effectively a lower calorie Atkins diet.  And there's also the ocassional Gatorade, which I must say I'm addicted to.  I fell off my diet when I moved to DFW, but fortunately I've been able to keep my weight relatively stable, though I just recently got back into a disciplined diet.  I also take a multi-vitamin, calcium supplement, and occasionally allow myself 8oz of whole milk.  I don't take any other supplements, but my multi-vitamin has cromium picolinate.  I used to do creatine, but have stopped doing that out of fear that I may not be able to hydrate myself adequately.

I just started lifting again, and right now I'm trying to focus on my arms.  My triceps have always been pretty big in relation to the rest of the muscles in my arms, but my biceps are a little on the small side.  And in all honestly my arms have gotten flabby and I won't have Oprah arms.  So, I've been isolating them for the last four weeks doing barbell and dumbell curls because it's all I can manage with the equipment at my house.  

The first workout was murder.  After a low rep set to warm up my arms, I did 4 sets of 15 reps @ 30lbs/dumbell per arm, then 4 sets of 65lbs on a curved barbell.  I hurt for a solid week, but at the end of the week I noticed that I was definitely stronger.  My two older kids both weigh around 40-45lbs each, and I had no problem picking them up and playing with them.  But I haven't really noticed any increased muscle mass and I also haven't been able to even be sore the next day, even when increasing the weight by 5-10lbs.  Maybe it's just me, but in my mind if there's no pain the next day it doesn't feel like I accomplished anything.  I tried not working out for a solid week, but that didn't seem to help.  Should I be doing something different?  If my goal is muscle mass and strength, am I getting it even without feeling sore the next day?  Any obvious spots I should change?  I know I should be doing more cardio for weight loss, but right now it's hard to work it into my schedule, though I am about to be teach girls' soccer and will be running around for 60 minutes with them on the field at least once a week, which is a start.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW in your place I'd not concentrate/isolate my arms, they come into play with all the major lifts right? Once you reach your goal with your OVERALL weight and shape then start the sculpting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top