Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 2:32:54 PM EDT
I've found that, after a few weeks, a 2-mile walk no longer gets my heartrate up where it needs to be.

I don't want to run (still too heavy, and very cautious about joint damage).

So, what's the next step in cardio excercise?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Walk faster.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Walk faster.

... and farther
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Walk faster.

... and farther

...with about ten pounds of something in a backpack.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Raise the incline on the treadmill or start walking your two miles over hills.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Walk faster.

... and farther

...with about ten pounds of something in a backpack.

... and NOT beer!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
SO if I walk faster, but for the same time (hence farther) w/ a pack, that should do it, for now?

I really don't have time to walk more than I do. Hopefully in a month or so, when I get through some traveling at work, I'm going to take the plunge and join a gym.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy yourself a jump rope.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SO if I walk faster, but for the same time (hence farther) w/ a pack, that should do it, for now?

I really don't have time to walk more than I do. Hopefully in a month or so, when I get through some traveling at work, I'm going to take the plunge and join a gym.

That should give your body more of a load, and it will cover more territory so you can shoot more cats!! hehehe-just joking
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Thats what I use. It will get your heart rate up and still be easy on the joints.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a bike.  Preferably a mountain bike.  

Low impact - not much joint stress.

And you can simply shift to get more or less resistance.  Course, you'll build up stamina there too.  Then you find a hill - or take up mountain biking.  (The 15-20 miles (depending on where I go) round trip to and from the trails is CAKE compared to a mile or so off road.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's not exactly a low impact exercise.  I tried it and it's hell on my knees, but it does get the old heart rate going.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I second the incline like going up hills.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Walk faster.

... and farther

Uphill ....... Both ways
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Consider joining a gym and/or buying an eliptical.  Great work out and easier on the joints.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#16]
walk laps around the MALL and take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
walk laps around the MALL and take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator.

What is this 'mall' thing you speak of?

I do spend about an hour a week walking around wal-mart, if that counts. I'd love to join a gym........I just don't have the stability right now; I travel for work, short-term to different places, kinda hard to join a gym in 2 or 3 different towns....

The last coupla weeks, I have been doing as much as possible.....I've learned a few new excercises, and am happy to report that my thighs, abs, and calves are in PAIN right now. I have been told this is good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is this 'mall' thing you speak of?

I do spend about an hour a week walking around wal-mart, if that counts. I'd love to join a gym........I just don't have the stability right now; I travel for work, short-term to different places, kinda hard to join a gym in 2 or 3 different towns....

The last coupla weeks, I have been doing as much as possible.....I've learned a few new excercises, and am happy to report that my thighs, abs, and calves are in PAIN right now. I have been told this is good.

That pain you are feeling is just weakness leaving your body.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Swim laps.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Swim laps.

I was doing that....we had a cold snap around here, the pond got cold. It's usually mid-september before it gets too cold to swim around here, but the cool weather killed swimming early this year. Maybe if I had a pool (clear water, warms fast) instead of a pond........

Naaah, I'd accidentally shoot holes in it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a punching bag and speed bag. It'll improve you speed, coodination and REALLY get your HR up if you get good.

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Lunge walk every so often while you are walking.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Get a punching bag and speed bag. It'll improve you speed, coodination and REALLY get your HR up if you get good.

S.O.

Quoted:
Lunge walk every so often while you are walking.

What is a speed bag? What is a lunge walk?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I second the Mountain Bike.

I think that is the best way to start cardio if you are heavy. Easy on the joints and you can take a little rest if you need too and still be covering ground.

I jump rope for 10mins to warm up and then go for a Ride on my bike. Some nights I run too. But I really like to ride my bike.

Try to find a nice dirt path or something with some nice rolling hills that you can hit if you ride from your house. There is a really cool one by my house see turtles, snakes, coons, skunks, and all kinds of other cool stuff while I am riding. Keeps it interesting.  Also if you can find a path that does a loop so you dont ride the same stuff you rode in on, that will aslo keep it more interesting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I think a speed bag is the little bag that you see hanging up about head height.  It works cordination to get it bouncing right and to keep it up.

Often seen in movies where some character needs to make a fool of himself, such as the first bad boys movie.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
im in the same position.. i use hills, altitude, and weight on my back to combat low heart rates... any single or combo works.. lately i have been using all 3.. 1000 vertical ft per mile up hill is a good hike..and then I throw on about 15lbs sometimes.. 40lbs others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top