Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2022 11:10:51 AM EDT
Long story short, I've hit a major wall. I'm 36, on HRT due to some major issues and will remain there for the rest of my life. I carb cycle at a 500 cal deficit, get in an easy 100-120 oz of water a day, lift heavy 4 days a week, active rest 2 days a week, one cheat meal every 2 weeks. And I have not budged a single inch or lb. Anybody care to help me troubleshoot what I could be missing?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly is it you are trying to do?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I need to drop 5-8% BF.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You mentioned lifting - are you trying to gain or lose? ok read updates.

All things considered, 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories.  If you go into a consistent calorie deficit compared to what you are burning you will lose, and if you go into a consistent calorie surplus compared to what you are burning, you will gain. All dietary facts and metabolism issues cannot change this. If you are not losing, you cannot actually be in a consistent calorie deficit.

Prisoners of war in Viet Nam proved this. Some dropped 40% of their body weight or more simply from calorie deficit, even though they were confined and had little or no activity.

At the end of the day, it's calories in, and calories out. Maybe you are not burning as many calories as you think you are, or maybe you are taking in more calories than you think you are?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
user has been banned from this thread i am sorry it took so long
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes when you have done everything you can, its time to seek professional help.

Ask around for a trainer or dietician in your area that’s more geared towards your goals.  Someone that may run some labs (cortisol, thyroid, etc), ask questions you didn’t think of, and put you on an individualized program.  These people are experts, utilize them.

Or you can use the advice here.  It’ll always be “you need a calorie deficit,” and that is all!  And the added anecdotal evidence of POWs in Vietnam, clearly that is your exact situation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:40:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Long story short, I've hit a major wall. I'm 36, on HRT due to some major issues and will remain there for the rest of my life. I carb cycle at a 500 cal deficit, get in an easy 100-120 oz of water a day, lift heavy 4 days a week, active rest 2 days a week, one cheat meal every 2 weeks. And I have not budged a single inch or lb. Anybody care to help me troubleshoot what I could be missing?
View Quote

Are you just looking at the number on the scale? If you are lifting and recovering you are likely putting on muscle that is replacing fat that is being burnt. If you have a tape get bi-weekly measurements and plug them into a BF% calculator (check out a naval method one) and go based off of that number instead of the scale. It’s not perfect, but it gets your mind looking at body composition change versus a combined number like total body weight which doesn’t always tell the whole picture. Failing that, take progress photos of yourself in the same settings and compare. The photos will show changes over time as well.

If you stall, look at changing your lift routine to something you aren’t conditioned to. Like if you’ve been on a powerlifting kick for a few months, do those lifts once a week to maintain and on the other 3 do more of a bodybuilding or work capacity program with a different rep scheme.  

You can also vary your caloric intake as well, as your body will stall with diet in the same way that it will with a lifting program. I’ve seen some folks have good results with a heavy lifting routine + clean bulk (+10% over maintenance) for a few months then gradually pull back on the calories for following months.

And finally, have you discussed your weight/fat loss goals with the Dr who prescribed HRT? I know men have it easy in this regard as when we get on TRT the fat just comes off on its own. I’m ignorant as to the relationship the different female hormones have regarding body composition, your Dr would be a good person to ask about hormonal therapy and it’s effects on weight loss, and he might be able to tweak dosage to help you along.

Hope some of that helps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the above.

How long have you been on this fitness trend?  Women tend to make muscle then lose fat, so the scale isn't going to budge for a while.

Plus, 3500 calories is a lot of working out. Like, running 30ish miles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi, you need more data from your body in order to come up with a plan that will allow you to achieve your goal.  If you haven't you need to use a body composition analyzer (your gym likely has one). I use the In Body machine at my gym.  It will tell you all details for what you have going on and then can use it to see results from trying different things and have a better idea of what workout plan you should use.

I am also on HRT (for the rest of my life) and consider it a good thing as we will always have the right amount of hormones and less likely to go through menopause.  I have been using a personal trainer over the past 5 months and one thing that was stressed was to lift lighter for more reps to burn fat and tone up combined with cardio.  Lifting heavy won't get you to where you want to be.  The only area I lift heavy (for a feminine shape) is glutes and hips, everything else is light and lots of reps to tone.  I also include 3 to 4 hours per week of cardio.  

I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All things considered, 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories.  If you go into a consistent calorie deficit compared to what you are burning you will lose, and if you go into a consistent calorie surplus compared to what you are burning, you will gain. All dietary facts and metabolism issues cannot change this. If you are not losing, you cannot actually be in a consistent calorie deficit.

Prisoners of war in Viet Nam proved this. Some dropped 40% of their body weight or more simply from calorie deficit, even though they were confined and had little or no activity.

At the end of the day, it's calories in, and calories out. Maybe you are not burning as many calories as you think you are, or maybe you are taking in more calories than you think you are?
View Quote

My job is very sedentary, but after that 8-10 hours (even in the middle some days), I'm definitely putting in the work.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sometimes when you have done everything you can, its time to seek professional help.

Ask around for a trainer or dietician in your area that’s more geared towards your goals.  Someone that may run some labs (cortisol, thyroid, etc), ask questions you didn’t think of, and put you on an individualized program.  These people are experts, utilize them.

Or you can use the advice here.  It’ll always be “you need a calorie deficit,” and that is all!  And the added anecdotal evidence of POWs in Vietnam, clearly that is your exact situation.
View Quote

You can make fun, but it's math.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are you just looking at the number on the scale? If you are lifting and recovering you are likely putting on muscle that is replacing fat that is being burnt. If you have a tape get bi-weekly measurements and plug them into a BF% calculator (check out a naval method one) and go based off of that number instead of the scale. It’s not perfect, but it gets your mind looking at body composition change versus a combined number like total body weight which doesn’t always tell the whole picture. Failing that, take progress photos of yourself in the same settings and compare. The photos will show changes over time as well.

If you stall, look at changing your lift routine to something you aren’t conditioned to. Like if you’ve been on a powerlifting kick for a few months, do those lifts once a week to maintain and on the other 3 do more of a bodybuilding or work capacity program with a different rep scheme.  

You can also vary your caloric intake as well, as your body will stall with diet in the same way that it will with a lifting program. I’ve seen some folks have good results with a heavy lifting routine + clean bulk (+10% over maintenance) for a few months then gradually pull back on the calories for following months.

And finally, have you discussed your weight/fat loss goals with the Dr who prescribed HRT? I know men have it easy in this regard as when we get on TRT the fat just comes off on its own. I’m ignorant as to the relationship the different female hormones have regarding body composition, your Dr would be a good person to ask about hormonal therapy and it’s effects on weight loss, and he might be able to tweak dosage to help you along.

Hope some of that helps.
View Quote

Great points and I appreciate that you hit on them.

I do not care about what the weight on the scale says. I use that number more to troubleshoot which foods are causing bloat and water retention than anything else. I put on muscle FAST thanks to the Test, so I know I'm getting stronger. It's my inches that I'm most concerned with. I take progress pictures every Sunday for the last 4 years.  I do a body scan once a month and my numbers really haven't moved in the last year. HRT and cervical cancer/removal are really when my issues started kicking in

I just switched up my workout routine this week. Food-wise, I might need to switch that up. Food prep is truly a must for me or I will go days without eating because I forget.

My doctors all think it's stress related. :-/
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My job is very sedentary, but after that 8-10 hours (even in the middle some days), I'm definitely putting in the work.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/WO_PNG-2293644.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/WO2_PNG-2293647.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/wo3_PNG-2293648.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/CALS_PNG-2293650.png

In all seriousness can you increase the calorie deficit to account for error in calculation, until you see results?

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hi, you need more data from your body in order to come up with a plan that will allow you to achieve your goal.  If you haven't you need to use a body composition analyzer (your gym likely has one). I use the In Body machine at my gym.  It will tell you all details for what you have going on and then can use it to see results from trying different things and have a better idea of what workout plan you should use.

I am also on HRT (for the rest of my life) and consider it a good thing as we will always have the right amount of hormones and less likely to go through menopause.  I have been using a personal trainer over the past 5 months and one thing that was stressed was to lift lighter for more reps to burn fat and tone up combined with cardio.  Lifting heavy won't get you to where you want to be.  The only area I lift heavy (for a feminine shape) is glutes and hips, everything else is light and lots of reps to tone.  I also include 3 to 4 hours per week of cardio.  

I hope that helps.
View Quote

Yeah... Strong is definitely where I want to be. I'll give up lifting heavy when I'm physically incapable of doing so or I'm dead. It is 100% my stress relief from life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In all seriousness can you increase the calorie deficit to account for error in calculation, until you see results?

View Quote

The lowest I can go without having my brain short circuit is 1500/cals a day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#17]
removing quotes

the user has been banned from this thread
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did a year eating 1500 calories per day and lost 62 lbs but I wasn’t working out.  Adding a workout to that would cause my brain to blue screen.  It may sound counterintuitive but your body needs fuel to function so I would eat at least what calories your body needs to properly function but make it lower fats and high protein.  You then have the fuel to gain muscle and burn fat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]
In all seriousness, if you want to drop weight, go backpacking.  

Take 7 days, grab a tent, sleeping bag, stove…bunch of mountain house…and walk/eat/sleep for 7 days in someplace cool.  

You will return 10-15 pounds lighter.  

Make it steep terrain.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In all seriousness, if you want to drop weight, go backpacking.  

Take 7 days, grab a tent, sleeping bag, stove…bunch of mountain house…and walk/eat/sleep for 7 days in someplace cool.  

You will return 10-15 pounds lighter.  

Make it steep terrain.
View Quote

I actually started training to do this during the summer with my boys. my active rest days are 60 mins uphill on the treadmill. it sucks, for now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fast for a week.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I put on muscle FAST thanks to the Test, so I know I'm getting stronger
View Quote

Are you referring to testosterone?  If so are you ftm transitioning?

There is a female trainer at my gym that is on test and is a beast.  She is loving it but not wanting to transition just have a male’ish physique.  Her face is looking more male these days though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is a female trainer at my gym that is on test and is a beast.  She is loving it but not wanting to transition just have a male’ish physique.  Her face is looking more male these days though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put on muscle FAST thanks to the Test, so I know I'm getting stronger

uuuhhhh, Nope. I'm female and have no desire to be anything other than female. My body does not create testosterone, and though women don't need anywhere near as much T as men, it is still necessary. I am on a low dose just to bring my levels up to the "normal" range of women.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

uuuhhhh, Nope. I'm female and have no desire to be anything other than female. My body does not create testosterone, and though women don't need anywhere near as much T as men, it is still necessary. I am on a low dose just to bring my levels up to the "normal" range of women.

View Quote

Oh ok I got ya!
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you given any thought to the bioavailability of the calories you consume? Meats and fats are really bioavailable because they have no fiber and so the nutrients can get into the bloodstream pretty easily. They also require a good deal of input energy to burn them. Fruits are loaded with easily bioavailable sugars and should be avoided if you're doing keto but a little bit helps feed the needed input energy to burn the protein and fat if you're not full keto. Veggies (not fruits) are generally low in sugars and have their nutrients locked up in hard to digest fiber and so what you get from them is more fecal response and less bioavailable caloric content than they're listed as having actually gets into your bloodstream. If you currently have a lot of protein and fat in your diet, you might reduce those numbers and pick up the high fiber / low sugar veg in a big way. Brassicas (kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts etc...) and other leafy greens like spinach are a really great way of getting the nutrient value up along with the fecal outflow (whatever leaves via your asshole doesn't make it to your waistline) while keeping the carbs down. If you're strength training then you can see little to no change in physical size or weight while you change your body fat percentage. An easy way to know if that's happening is to watch your endurance and lifting capacity, if they go up then you're building muscle and/or increasing lean muscle mass %age.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Fasting always got me through walls
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

@strawberry_snaps
A lot of people don't realize muscle weighs more than fat. So you can be burning fat and look thinner but actually be heavier, but a healthier heavy because it's muscle.

I would avoid looking at the number and concentrate on how you feel and look.

Have you ever posted a pic here?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is my understanding also.  

A food calorie is like a therm or other measure of energy potential.  Your daily 500 calorie deficit will result in losing 1 pound per week.  Doesn't seem like much, but that's how the weight was added also, +500 calories adds weight.  Besides, 50 pounds lost in a year is a lot if you can stick to it.

All the BS you hear and read about different foods calories being used by your body must be for people who's average temp is not 98.6 or so.  Your intake fuels your heat generation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like you are doing well  

and are being to hard on yourself.

JHC.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Honestly,  mix in an hour or two of VIGOROUS  cardio 3-4 times per week.  Not a casual jog.... gasping for breath cardio.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#32]
removing Edits

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Have you had an actual body fat test performed or are you using one of those handheld things that looks like a big video game controller?
View Quote

Styku body scan once a month.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I sort of like the hiking option someone had indicated.  Do about 2  - 5 miles each day, every day over hilly area.  
This should allow the body to adjust to a constant workload without too much stress.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#35]
removing quotes

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Walk, walk, walk. You have to expend more than you take in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife is about 5'6" with an office job.

When she cuts it has to be 1000-1200 calories a day.

If you aren't losing with your current deficit, you probably have to cut more calories.

Are you weighing all your food?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/WO_PNG-2293644.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/WO2_PNG-2293647.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/wo3_PNG-2293648.png
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/83987/CALS_PNG-2293650.png

If I'm reading this right, you're squatting 240 lbs, deadlifting 345 lbs, and doing 365 lb hip thrusters.
Congrats, those are exceptional numbers for a female. Do you have a PL background?

Don't really like your program though. I like push/pull and hitting each muscle group twice a week.

Do you have thyroid issues and thus the T?

Pics would help, but in general women carry their weight in their hips and legs.
If your doing those numbers, over development of these muscle groups could be why you're not losing weight assuming your getting 1 g protein per lb of body fat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife is about 5'6" with an office job.

When she cuts it has to be 1000-1200 calories a day.

If you aren't losing with your current deficit, you probably have to cut more calories.

Are you weighing all your food?
View Quote

Yep, every single thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If I'm reading this right, you're squatting 240 lbs, deadlifting 345 lbs, and doing 365 lb hip thrusters.
Congrats, those are exceptional numbers for a female. Do you have a PL background?

Don't really like your program though. I like push/pull and hitting each muscle group twice a week.

Do you have thyroid issues and thus the T?

Pics would help, but in general women carry their weight in their hips and legs.
If your doing those numbers, over development of these muscle groups could be why you're not losing weight assuming your getting 1 g protein per lb of body fat.
View Quote

Chest press is 195 too. This is a switch up cycle for me so not my normal. He's switching quite a bit up. For instance, I prefer conventional deadlifts and he has me doing sumos DLs this whole block.

Up by 3:30 am, at the gym by 4am. Workout plus cardio takes about 2 hours. Then another walk before bed at 8:30pm.

My legs are my favorite body part. I carry all my weight in my torso. And yes, I have significate thyriod issues. I take meds twice daily for it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Go back to age 25.  That will solve all your issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#43]
The bottom line is this: If you're not losing weight, you're eating too many calories.  People underestimate their intake and overestimate their calorie expenditure.  Yes, this includes people that weigh everything and read labels.

Cut 200 calories from your diet and see what happens.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ugh!  Sumos...never seen the point.  You are pulling over a shorter distance than a conventional deadlift.
View Quote

I’m super short, with even shorter arms. They’re just so….uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting article:

https://hypothyroidmom.com/10-tips-to-lose-weight-with-a-low-thyroid-problem/
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#47]
If you have been at a 500 calorie deficit for too long your body might adjust to that as the new normal. I read about a woman who was down to eating only 1200 calories a day for years and she was still "fat." She stopped losing weight because her metabolism adjusted to it. Eating even 1800 calories caused weight gain so she would immediately go back to 1200 calories a day. When your metabolism is that messed up you have to fix that first and that means eating the correct amount of calories, even if it means your body will put on a few pounds of fat for a year as it readjusts your metabolism to normal.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Woman-related hormonal issues?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#49]
removing quotes

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
...muscle weighs more than fat...
View Quote

Lol. A pound of muscle weights the exact same as a pound of fat. Did you mean that muscle is more dense than fat?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top