Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2022 2:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H46Driver]
We had a great start with January's C2 virtual challenge, so let's keep the pressure on for the rest of 2022 and go for a million meters or a personal best.

A million meters sounds like a lot, but that's 1000KM or 621.4 miles.  Plenty of time to catch up if you've been slacking so far in 2022.

I tried to create a Garmin challenge for this, but I can't figure out how to 1) create an annual challenge or 2) figure out how to create a challenge outside of swim/bike/run/steps.

Here is a link to the group, Garmin group, which should be open to anyone to join:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/group/3769586

Mods, can I get a pinned thread here?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H46Driver] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cruze5:
Tacked with no date for removal
View Quote

Thank you. Title changed.

To date in 2022:  307Km

Level pace to 1000Km is 82.2Km today

If you haven't rowed a single meter yet, you only have to add 245M per day to the level pace to get there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
In for this.

143,177m as of today.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By H46Driver:

Thank you. Title changed.

To date in 2022:  307Km

Level pace to 1000Km is 82.2Km today

If you haven't rowed a single meter yet, you only have to add 245M per day to the level pace to get there.
View Quote

3K/310K

Going to dial back a bit to recover from all those meters during the back half of January and to make up the 20 miles of running I am behind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Joined your group. I'm working back up to the 10k a day I was doing before, but I am also training for other things.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
is the concept 2 the way to go here, and is $900 for a new one ok? I cannot find any used on FB Marketplace.

wife and i are both interested in this, i understand rowing is a recommended cardio equipment.

Would anyone comment on the rowing vs the Starmill machine as what i should invest in, for overall health and also hopefully an elk hunt (i think the elk pushes the stairmill higher but it wont fit in my house and the garage will be an impediment to consistent usage in the summer probably).
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Riflenoob:
is the concept 2 the way to go here, and is $900 for a new one ok? I cannot find any used on FB Marketplace.

wife and i are both interested in this, i understand rowing is a recommended cardio equipment.

Would anyone comment on the rowing vs the Starmill machine as what i should invest in, for overall health and also hopefully an elk hunt (i think the elk pushes the stairmill higher but it wont fit in my house and the garage will be an impediment to consistent usage in the summer probably).
View Quote

I 've only used C2 in .mil gyms and water rowers in hotel gyms. C2 is an absolute unit. For $900 you get an industrial/commercial quality machine that will probably outlive you.

Rolando has a business repairing gym equipment and he also has spoken highly of the C2.

I have no experience with any other brands.  C2 is not flashy, has a dated computer interface, but it is the overwhelming off-water choice for crew squads everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#11]

).
View Quote

Definitely get a new one and order directly through Concept2.  I ordered mine in January of 2019 and it was roughly $1,020 (tax and shipping) delivered.  With the pace of inflation, I can’t believe that C2 hasn’t had to raise their prices.  If you look at used Model D’s, they’re right around that price because there is a strong secondary market for them.  Just spend the extra few bucks and get a new one.  I wish that I would’ve bought one years ago. . .

I use mine pretty regularly and it still looks brand new.  These rowers are built with heavy gym use in mind. . . They are bulletproof and replacement parts, if you ever need them, are really inexpensive.  The C2 support is fantastic in the rare instance that you’ll ever need them.  I think I stated earlier in another thread but if the C2 rower was 3X the price, I’d still get one without hesitation.   It is well worth the money.

There are many rowing machines out there but this is the standard in gyms, college crew teams, rowing clubs, CrossFit gyms, etc.  You’ll be able to compare your times using the C2 logbook (w/ C2 ErgData app)with thousands of others on equal footing.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Stairmills are awesome for building cardio as well. If I had a higher ceiling, I'd probably try to save up for a good one. I have a C2 a d it's built very well. There's on in my area on FB marketplace for $800. I think it's a gym that's going out of business.

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:00:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:33:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riflenoob] [#14]
@TNC @CUJ0 @H46Driver

Alright, I've been convinced. Going down the youtube rabbit hole and seeing how it is automatically calibrated, people are using this for real life competitions, etc, it just seems like a no brainer, solid piece of equipment. I am ordering the C2 today.

It comes with a PM5 monitor and a device holder. I will not order the extra tall one for $200 more.

Is the RowErg app and the rower as it comes going to be sufficient or should i plan to purchase/download another app or other devices to get the most from the machine? I do have a heart rate monitor bluetooth connected to my phone that I use for treadmill workouts.

Obviously these things are used in gyms with hundreds of users so I anticipate there will be no issue with my wife and I each having our own profile set up on the machine w/ tracking on our own apps? (maybe just the apps and not the machine). We are both similar height and weight so I am hoping we can settle on the same "drag factor" which I anticipate to be around 115, but I am going down a deep rabbit hole into this for someone who sat on a C2 one time over 11 years ago and has only seen youtubes / your posts.

I am pretty excited!

RE: Workout Plans, Workouts of the Day, etc. Should I just focus on form youtube videos and rowing, for a few weeks? days or months? before starting to do the varied workouts? i imagine that simply getting form down is more important at first than doing the different more complex patterns of intervals etc
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 11:56:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#15]

Is the RowErg app and the rower as it comes going to be sufficient or should i plan to purchase/download another app or other devices to get the most from the machine? I do have a heart rate monitor bluetooth connected to my phone that I use for treadmill workouts.

Obviously these things are used in gyms with hundreds of users so I anticipate there will be no issue with my wife and I each having our own profile set up on the machine w/ tracking on our own apps? (maybe just the apps and not the machine). We are both similar height and weight so I am hoping we can settle on the same "drag factor" which I anticipate to be around 115, but I am going down a deep rabbit hole into this for someone who sat on a C2 one time over 11 years ago and has only seen youtubes / your posts.

View Quote

You’ll like it.  There’s no need to get the version with the taller legs.  

All that I use is the Ergdata app that is paired to my iPhone.  I wear a Polar H10 heart rate monitor chest strap each time that I use the rower.  I put the chest strap on, turn on the PM5, and then turn on Ergdata on my phone.  I scroll to the first page of Ergdata and I’ll have the option to “Connect.”  I hit connect and now all three (HRM, Ergdata on my iPhone, and the PM5) are working together.  From here, the type of workout that you can choose to input into the PM5 is endless.  It can be varying distances, times, intervals, you name it.  The majority of the time I just hit “Rerow” and do my usual set, fixed distance and I’m ready to go in about 15 seconds from the time I sit down.

@TNC  can probably add more here regarding you and your wife using the same machine and Ergdata.  His gym has multiple RowErgs. . . For sure it is possible with multiple users but I’m not sure if there are a few more keystrokes that you might have to make on the PM5.  The PM5 automatically recognizes my HRM when I first sit down.  

Form is very important but I would just experiment a couple of times and dive right in!  Watching the videos, you’ll get a good idea of  what to do.  Your wife can also video you from the side and you can rewatch and critique yourself.  Even now while I’m rowing, I often find myself refocusing on my form and technique.

Congrats, good luck, and have fun!

Edit: A lot of folks on the C2 Forum recommend the Beginner Pete Plan. I posted this on another thread.  It’s a combination of steady state rows and intervals increasing in time and distance:

Beginner Pete Plan
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
@TNC @CUJ0 @H46Driver

Alright, I've been convinced. Going down the youtube rabbit hole and seeing how it is automatically calibrated, people are using this for real life competitions, etc, it just seems like a no brainer, solid piece of equipment. I am ordering the C2 today.

It comes with a PM5 monitor and a device holder. I will not order the extra tall one for $200 more.

I am pretty excited!

RE: Workout Plans, Workouts of the Day, etc. Should I just focus on form youtube videos and rowing, for a few weeks? days or months? before starting to do the varied workouts? i imagine that simply getting form down is more important at first than doing the different more complex patterns of intervals etc
View Quote
Good beginner form and stroke video below. I like trying out some of the partial strokes while getting warmed up, or if I get off my cadence during the row. Do a few legs only, a few hips only, a few hips and arms. Don't overthink it. For the drag factor, I enjoy changing it up all the time. When I want to pull with power I will dial it up, other times I just want to spin the flywheel a bit and I will leave it lower. I have also changed it mid-workout if things aren't feeling great, no big deal.

The PERFECT Beginners Rowing Workout: BETTER Setup

As for using the PM5- there is no provision for multiple rowing profiles. You and your wife should both make online logbooks and then log in to that through ergdata on your own phones. When you row, connect the phone to PM5 via bluetooth. Then your data will be transferred directly and instantly. The data will upload to logbook of the person that linked their phone for that particular workout.

For example if you begin rowing with your phone linked- the data will go to your logbook. If you begin rowing with your wife's phone- the data will go to your wife's logbook. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H46Driver] [#20]
@TNC @CUJ0 @H46Driver

I am pretty excited!

View Quote

Drag factor in the output from a lever selector on the flywheel/fan. C2 redommends setting it between 3-5 for beginners.

You should set up separate C2 logbook accounts online and each have an app on your phone. Easy.  The computer interface is very 1980s. It's primitive, but you can program basic workouts when you get to that point.

The tall leg model is for geriatrics who might have trouble standing up from the lower rower. Are you 85?

If you start hammering intervals, you may want the shorter legs. Less distance to fall when you pass out.

As far as workouts, I always recommend spending some time letting your body adapt to a new exercise mode. Watch the form videos and do shorter form-focused workouts for a week or two, slowly adding some duration. After 2-3 weeks, feel free to throw in some of the "short" workouts from the C2 page for variety.  Shorter to me starts at 15 minutes or so, but train not strain. Build to 20-30 minutes over a week or two.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
These rowers are definitely bulletproof. Here’s Brian Shaw’s 100m record:

World's Strongest Man Brian Shaw Takes 100M Rowing Record on a Whim
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CUJ0:

These rowers are definitely bulletproof. Here's Brian Shaw's 100m record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVl0Zt-kZys
View Quote
Ran the numbers on that. That's 1335 watts output for 12.8 seconds.

For the nerds: https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/watts-calculator
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#24]
So I ordered yesterday after my post, again, thanks for the posters in this thread!

I am rearranging one of our rooms to accommodate the machine. Will the drag factor indication and meters rowed automatically calibrate regardless of distance of the fan from the wall? It’s a pretty tight fit if I don’t want to be in danger of someone opening door and whacking the rowing individual in the head.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 2:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#25]
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]

3K/310K

Going to dial back a bit to recover from all those meters during the back half of January and to make up the 20 miles of running I am behind.
View Quote

Since last update 20K/330K

6x500 on 1 min rest tonight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel like I’m on an island all alone with my Hydrow I got for Christmas vs all you concept2 folks.

I use a polar verity sense and an Apple Watch.  Any idea if I could join the Garmin group being a nongarmin nonconcept2 owner?

I thought I might as well ask just in case there were others out there like me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Handydave:
I feel like I’m on an island all alone with my Hydrow I got for Christmas vs all you concept2 folks.

I use a polar verity sense and an Apple Watch.  Any idea if I could join the Garmin group being a nongarmin nonconcept2 owner?

I thought I might as well ask just in case there were others out there like me.
View Quote

You can join the garmin group. Just create a garmin connect account. Many apps will cross load to Connect, or you can manually input your workout.

You don't need to be in the group to do the challenge and Garmin connect does not support rowing as a challenge exercise mode like it does for run/swim/bike.  You can see what other folks in the group are doing though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Since last update 20K/330K

6x500 on 1 min rest tonight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23930/C375A6C7-E6A5-4E6E-A9E8-0355827A8764_jpe-2267018.JPG
View Quote

18.5K/348.5K
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#31]

18.5K/348.5K
View Quote

7K/355.5K

Main workout 3 x 1K on 1 min rest

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Is there an easy button to get total meters for the calendar year from the C2 log or Connect? I can't find a way to query either based on a date range without exporting the data to a file.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#33]
Originally Posted By Jay870:
Is there an easy button to get total meters for the calendar year from the C2 log or Connect? I can't find a way to query either based on a date range without exporting the data to a file.
View Quote

I was going to ask the same.  C2’s season starts on May 1st. . . So far I’m 288K for the CY.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#34]
How are you uploading the data?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H46Driver] [#36]

7K/355.5K

Main workout 3 x 1K on 1 min rest

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23930/D9EAFBF4-A1BC-4500-96D8-5F4EA690FA37_jpe-2270571.JPG
View Quote

22K/377.5K
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By TNC:

ergdata app on my phone. You can also log into your account and manually put in the meters. ergdata gives very detailed records including heart rate if  you have a monitor and you're in to geeking out over performance.
View Quote

Does Erg data upload to the garmin group that I think this thread is utilizing?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 4:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H46Driver] [#39]

Does Erg data upload to the garmin group that I think this thread is utilizing?
View Quote

If you have linked it to Garmin and joined the group, it will do that. That is how my data get there.  

Unfortunately, I have learned that the group won't total distances, nor can I make a year long challenge like there is for running.  Garmin only supports challenges for swim, bike, run, and steps as far as I can tell.

In order to encourage each other, post your distances in this thread.  Daily, weekly, monthly, or every X meters.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#40]

I’d like to do more but my elbow is starting to bother me.  .
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#41]
217,368 as of today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CUJ0:

I’d like to do more but my elbow is starting to bother me.  .
View Quote

Rub some dirt on it
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#43]
I took two weeks off and became a soft, fluffy jellyfish

Getting back into the swing now.

6299/166299

Anyone figured out a better way to tally the meters?

ETA- the C2 WOD emails are pretty good. I did the medium today. The button press setup prompt they provide is nice. It takes about 5 seconds to program your workout, reminds me of entering cheat codes on the PS2 back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#44]
5555/171854

Pyramid WOD
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#45]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TNC:

The monthly summary page is pretty useful, it's an easy path to a yearly total. I got 190k in January, and so far I have 40,363 m in Feb. Gotta pump up those numbers

Today we had a 5k row for time as a benchmark wod. Best time in my gym was 19:43. I was shooting for 20:00.  Today is the first day I tried out the pace boat feature. Create a new 5k workout, set the pace boat for 2:00. I couldn't hold that pace, finished with 2:04.5 average pace, total time 20:45.8. I'm 1305 out of 2822 in my age group.

For warmup, I rowed 3 x 5 min pieces using the pace boat set at 2:30, 2:15, and 2:00 respectively.
View Quote
The Dark Horse pace video is excellent for the 20 minute 5k. Just beware youtube-inserted advertisements in the middle of the video. I really liked the music/beat for this pull. The artist is named Alex Dovo and is available on the standard streaming sources.

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 8:10:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H46Driver] [#48]

22K/377.5K
View Quote

16.5/394K

Level pace to one million meters is 128.8K today.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 5:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wookie1562] [#49]
Originally Posted By wookie1562:
5555/171854

Pyramid WOD
View Quote

7030/178884
Accidentally programmed an extra 1k interval in today's WOD. Ouch. 1k PR 3:23.9

Link Posted: 2/17/2022 9:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PKT1106] [#50]
Did 5k today in EXR playing Shark Attack. Is a basic game where you have to put pace the shark so you don't get eaten. If you're at a 2min pace, you can get about 5.5k before it starts to get hard.

I'm in the Garmin group, but my meters might get counted twice on Garmin because of using my watch for HR and EXR for meters.

ETA: Quick look at the C2 Logbook shows me around 50k meters as of today.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top