Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2020 8:17:24 AM EDT
deleted
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What lifts are you looking to do? If I’m doing Olympic lifts... deadlifts, bench, squat or push press. I usually do a 5x5 if I’m working out at 80% of my max.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the lift, both.

If I’m looking to move up in weight, I’ll do 3x10, then 2x15, then bump my weight up and go back to 10s.  Sometimes I’ve gone from sets of 8, to sets of 10, to sets of 15, then bump the weight and go back to 8.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
For which exercise?

Assuming you're doing that body part 3 times a week, 3 sets > 2 sets.

Five sets at 10, 8, 6, 8, and 10 reps pyramiding the weight (heavier on the lower reps sets) would be more beneficial.

Also in before the usual Starting Strength devotees
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’m just getting back into weight lifting at the gym. And man is it kicking my arse.
Is two sets of 15 just as beneficial as three sets of 10?
I find the 2 sets of 15 go a little faster and I can squeeze in a couple extra exercises in my morning workout
View Quote

About a year ago I discovered FST-7 and feel it works best for my body type. I'm 40 with one ball thanks to testicular cancer and can't take testosterone hormone treatment. I like to do FST-7 between Spring Break and Labor Day then switch to Stronglifts 5x5 for 3 - 4 months.

If you're not familiar with FST-7 it's as follows:

One muscle group per day (ie. chest, back, legs, arms, shoulders)
Flat Bench Press 4 x 8-12 (90 seconds rest between sets)
Decline Bench Press 4 x 8-12 (90 seconds rest between sets)
Incline Flys 4 x 8-12 (90 seconds rest between sets)
Cable Machine Flys 7 x 12 (30 seconds rest between sets & much lighter weight to get in all 54 reps)

If you have any questions you're welcome to message me. I'm not a personal trainer but I play one on tv.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

What is your goal?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m just getting back into weight lifting at the gym. And man is it kicking my arse.
Is two sets of 15 just as beneficial as three sets of 10?
I find the 2 sets of 15 go a little faster and I can squeeze in a couple extra exercises in my morning workout
View Quote

At the same weight 2 sets of 15 will be marginally more beneficial that 3 sets of 10 (one less rest period makes it more difficult, assuming you're using the same rest period for 2x15 as you do 3x10)...however if you can get 2 sets of 15 at a given weight you can get a lot more weight on the bar when moving 3x10.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Time under tension...
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on your goals. Both are *ok* for beginners.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What lifts are you looking to do? If I’m doing Olympic lifts... deadlifts, bench, squat or push press. I usually do a 5x5 if I’m working out at 80% of my max.
View Quote

Just to clarify, the Olympic lifts (or soon to be formally known as the Olympic lifts, ) are the snatch and the clean & jerk.

OP, are you using the same weight for both rep schemes?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#10]
deleted
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Do both.

Start with a weight you can do 3 set of 10 on, and when you can do your first two sets to 15 then it's time to add weight and start over with 3 sets again.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use heavier weights on my second rep of 15
For instance, I do my first set of presses with 35# dumbbells and my second set with 55’s
For some reason I feel as though I have more strength on my second go around.
View Quote

Warming up isnt just about muscle its CNS too. More shit firing the second go round.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Warming up isnt just about muscle its CNS too. More shit firing the second go round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use heavier weights on my second rep of 15
For instance, I do my first set of presses with 35# dumbbells and my second set with 55’s
For some reason I feel as though I have more strength on my second go around.

For the last year I've been doing my conditioning as my warm up, it helps a lot with getting warm, but does make me a little tired some days.

I would rather keep my joints safe than try for a PR constantly though.

I just wrote up a new one with 6 templates, roll a 6 sided die and do the corresponding template for that day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top