Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/3/2019 7:32:31 PM EDT
Welcome to the first attempt at a cycling challenge.  Time will tell if we have enough participation to make it worth it.

This will run very similar to the running/rowing challenge.  Feel free to post your numbers up from your road bike, mountain bike, zwift session, etc.

The rules are simple: Just pick a mileage goal and post your daily and total mileage.  E.g. 20/87 (I rode 20 miles today / 87 total for the year).

If you want to add me on Strava, shoot me a PM.  Feel free to tag others that you know.

@way-out-west2 @Fourman @VoodooChile @smullen @Easy_E @mattcz @XeroSasEnchros @rfox @cchurchi @EnduroBro @MaxGane @VACaver @Henny @GaryM @WWolfe @Whamo @BoggsAZ @DrafterDan
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Make this an outdoor only challenge for 1k

I'll be adding a smart trainer to the mix for 2020 after getting by a car last month, but 1k outside should be an easy goal for ANYONE.

At least a couple of arfcom strava groups out there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in.

My goal was going to be 2k miles for the year.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Searching Strava for "arfcom", I see two groups.  One in TX, one in IA.

Should we setup one for this challenge?
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in. I need motivation to get back on the bike!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m in!
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm down. It's been too long since I did any riding.

I will go with 2k as my goal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
As of today I am at around 6400 miles on my road bike.  For 2020 I should hit 10k since I have cleared more of my training schedule and committed more to my racing team for 2020.

I try to ride 6 days a week, during the winter sometimes I have to do it on my trainer.  Also when I travel for work in the winter I run on the treadmill....during warmer times I bring my backup bike so I can ride on location where I am working.

I am on Violet Crown Academy Racing team for 2020 so my monthly mileage should go up.  I have training camp in January (three days of nearly 300 miles of riding) then the following week is the first race of the season (starts early in Texas due to warmer weather)

I am more than happy to help building up starting training plans for anyone out there starting and also if you have any equipment (bike, gear whatever) questions hit me up.  I have been on and off my bike racing/riding since the mid 1980's.  So I have used many different levels of bicycle tech over the years....but it is funny I have not used electronic shifting much (I still see too many guys in races with issues....unless you are some Pro).

If you want to follow me on Strava let me know.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Searching Strava for "arfcom", I see two groups.  One in TX, one in IA.

Should we setup one for this challenge?
View Quote
I think setting up a new group would be a good idea. @WWolfe - you want to set that up?  Just let us know what you name it.

Was planning on leaving up smart trainers to keep the thread more active through the winter months.  If there are a lot of objections - I've got no problem removing it.  Just bump up your goal a little more to account for those miles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's the link to join the Strava ARFCOM club:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/arfcom2020
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not...I’m in. 1000mile goal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Im down. I won't be able to start for a while till the snow is gone.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Im in , I need to get back on my bike on a regular basis.

I'll track down the Strava page and join.

I'll throw out 1500 miles, it'll probably start on rollers at home, who wants to ride in the cold wet rain

This will be a mix of mostly rural road miles and some single speed loops at the local parks

looking forward to this
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]
In! Request sent to Strava group.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I have requested to join the group...
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm in the Strava group..im good for 3500..but mostly trainer miles
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I am in the group now...sorry about my miles...last week I had extra time.  Also later this month and January will have some huge weekly mileage also (time off and training camp)
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I'll buy me a small tablet and log all the miles I ride for this... I'll log them as indoors or out, BMX or Mountain.

I haven't road outdoors in a few weeks, but I have indoors. It's been a bit cold and too rainy. I normally find something to watch on the Netflix, start stream and start pedaling.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to set my goal for 1,500 for 2020.  Looking forward to racking up the miles starting in Jan
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright, we have 7 members on the Strava club so far.

Might get some fatbiking in tomorrow, if time allows.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Just joined the club. Might hit the trainer tonight. I'll charge up my lights, if the weather stays nice, and get some rides in after work.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone got any big rides planned? Im signed up for the Oklahoma Gravel Growler and the Land Run 100..both gravel rides in Oklahoma. Ive got 8 weeks to get ready for the first one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Is it cool if we join and only have a trainer? I could use the motivation, I tend to go in stops and starts.

I don’t ride a bike but I sit on my peloton every night trying to be less of a fat fuck and to keep cardio up for riding my dirt bike.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is it cool if we join and only have a trainer? I could use the motivation, I tend to go in stops and starts.

I don’t ride a bike but I sit on my peloton every night trying to be less of a fat fuck and to keep cardio up for riding my dirt bike.
View Quote
@bondryan
I've got no issues with you using a trainer.  As long as your peddling, you're working and logging miles.
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone got any big rides planned? Im signed up for the Oklahoma Gravel Growler and the Land Run 100..both gravel rides in Oklahoma. Ive got 8 weeks to get ready for the first one.
View Quote
Nice!  I don't have a gravel bike hence the N+1 bike need.  I like to try out a gravel ride someday or at least do cycle-cross next season.

Rides I have planned for the next month:
-This Saturday race course review of a Jan 18th race so will be about 30-45 short ride...I may add more since I fly out to STL for a week and will not have my bike (treadmill time)
-Over Christmas I should be doing good sized days to build more base for the season (50-60 mile days if the weather is good)
-Jan 10,11,12 is training camp for my team I think it will be a 50,100,50 mile weekend easy if not more

I am also starting to ride from work to home three days a week if the weather is dry which is about 20-30 miles depending on the route I take.

Remember to clean and lube your chain often if you are starting to add miles.  Your chain if not clean and lubed will wear out in about 1k miles and if you keep using a worn chain other parts will have to be replaced also.  There are plenty of youtube videos on chain cleaning,lube and checking.  I do a full cleaning every 500 miles and lube/quick clean every 100 miles.  I can get about 5-7k miles out of a chain before it is at .5% worn (time to replace with 11-speed).
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Installed Strava and applied for the aforementioned group.
I have a 23 mile ride on the 7th, after that it will be just random riding unless this whole cycling club I just joined works out well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I’m in for 3k.

I may have to buy a bike.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm in.

I'm no longer a fan of Strava as I do more off road riding. I want to be able to set separate Road and MTB goals but Strava doesn't let you do that.

Strava has Nordic Ski, Alpine Ski, Back Country Ski, and Snowboard, yet Road and Mountain biking are lumped together as one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Road 29.9 miles this morning. Going for 2k for 2020.
Of course the mile count starts on 1Jan2020.
+22 on 7Dec19.

Ttl 52.x
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I’d like to get in on this. Goal set at 2,000 miles.

Mostly single track riding, but do occasionally find myself on dirt/paved roads.

Looking like I’ll finish this year about 1500 mi, but my efforts were hijacked by an out of control project at work
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 126 miles in so far this week with tomorrow to go. Hoping to break 150 this week.

No way to track trainer miles on Strava so I really may need to get a bike.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have 126 miles in so far this week with tomorrow to go. Hoping to break 150 this week.

View Quote
You can manually add workouts and miles on Strava.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn’t figure it out.

Edit: I figured it out.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I couldn’t figure it out.
View Quote
Click the + on the upper right of the screen when you login from your computer.  Click Add Manual Entry.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in.

Too bad its trainer season in the northeast.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#35]
I’m leading a group ride for AMBA tomorrow morning. Should be around 37 degrees at the start. We probably won’t make ten miles but at my age I gotta stay going through winter or June is gonna be ugly. Gear up. Get out. ??
I’m in the arfcom Strava. I’m the guy in Cedar Crest.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you use a computer on your bike, that uploads to STRAVA, it'll keep track of those rides, too. For my road bike, I have separate bike in my profile, that's just for trainer rides so I can keep track of actual, vs trainer miles on my wheels, brake pads, etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you use a computer on your bike, that uploads to STRAVE, it'll keep track of those rides, too. For my road bike, I have separate bike in my profile, that's just for trainer rides so I can keep track of actual, vs trainer miles on my wheels, brake pads, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you use a computer on your bike, that uploads to STRAVE, it'll keep track of those rides, too. For my road bike, I have separate bike in my profile, that's just for trainer rides so I can keep track of actual, vs trainer miles on my wheels, brake pads, etc.
I only track total miles on each bike and how much miles on the chain.  Wheel/tires/brake pads change too much between bikes for me to track.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#38]
night ride on a mountain bike last night ..Had a 750 lumens on my handlebars and a helmet light plus red/green flashing LEDs zip-tied to my Yeti. 9 miles in the trails and I forgot to turn my Garmin on so no Strava..Local brewery sponsored it so free beer and Pretzel Dogs afterwards.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
night ride on a mountain bike last night ..Had a 750 lumens on my handlebars and a helmet light plus red/green flashing LEDs zip-tied to my Yeti. 9 miles in the trails and I forgot to turn my Garmin on so no Strava..Local brewery sponsored it so free beer and Pretzel Dogs afterwards.
View Quote
Okay that sounds like a awesome ride!
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Night rides in the woods are the best.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, we hooked a new guy on night riding a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I get bicycle stuff for Christmas....and the wife unit will not let me do my 50 mile ride today...
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I get bicycle stuff for Christmas....and the wife unit will not let me do my 50 mile ride today...
View Quote
Kids got me a frame bag and a tire repair kit. They heard im doing gravel grinders this year. Going to the in-laws for a few days so I need to get a ride in today. Probably some intervals on the trainer
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Welcome to the first attempt at a cycling challenge.  Time will tell if we have enough participation to make it worth it.

This will run very similar to the running/rowing challenge.  Feel free to post your numbers up from your road bike, mountain bike, zwift session, etc.

The rules are simple: Just pick a mileage goal and post your daily and total mileage.  E.g. 20/87 (I rode 20 miles today / 87 total for the year).

If you want to add me on Strava, shoot me a PM.  Feel free to tag others that you know.

@way-out-west2 @Fourman @VoodooChile @smullen @Easy_E @mattcz @XeroSasEnchros @rfox @cchurchi @EnduroBro @MaxGane @VACaver @Henny @GaryM @WWolfe @Whamo @BoggsAZ @DrafterDan
View Quote
I’ll start back on Strava. I started doing my tracking with Garmin Connect.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Request sent.

I need to bet back in shape, I was doing around 2500 miles per year but the last several years I have slacked off.

1000 miles is a good goal right now.

I ride mostly rails to trails and road bike.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:27:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Just signed up for the Hotter Than Hell 100 ..Add than to 190 in Gravel races that I've committed to...

I need to put the debit card away and go to bed lol
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just signed up for the Hotter Than Hell 100 ..Add than to 190 in Gravel races that I've committed to...

I need to put the debit card away and go to bed lol
View Quote
Ha!! I'm in the same boat!! Looking at the Vegas Gran Fondo, Chino Grinder, Enduro races in New Mexico, and a ride thru Griffith Park in L.A. in April!! I'm pretty sure I don't have the money, nor time off to do all of these rides!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Today we start, guess I need to get the bike out and knock out a few miles today.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#49]
This last month I have been doing some spending for 2020 racing:

2 new bib shorts (black so I can wear them with my team kits)
New DT Swiss 460 rear rim (wheel needs to be rebuilt...People keep killing my rear wheel at the Driveway race)
New Garmin 530 to replace my 520 Plus.  (battery on my 520 plus could not last more than 3 hours with all the items connected to it)  The 530 is a huge difference I really recommend it.
New covers for the 530 (protect it from wrecks)
New front headlight/camera system (Cycliq 12)
New chain for my BMC that will need replacing in a month or so
Two new vests for colder riding
New shoes toe covers to keep feet warm
More chain lube...always need that....
Replacement seat post clamp for the BMC it has a design defect so the seat post only lasts for about 6 months so I have to replace it with a only BMC made $45 dollar seat post.  Love the bike but this part I hate.  The seat post clamp has a torque spec of 3NM....so low.
Tons of socks, gloves in the team colors (orange, purple, blue, pink, black)
Aero TT helmet, used for 2020 TT's

Other things on my list:
Tires and tubes (may move to tubeless for one set of wheels I have)  GP4k and 5k with maybe one more set of 4 seasons for winter riding.
Maybe some clip-on aero bars for my TT's.  I have a set, but I need to see if they fit the bike or me...I hate using clip-on bars, but for TTs it is how you go fast.
More chains...during the season I get about 3 months of use out of one.
More carbon brake pads....I eat up a set every 2-3 months when I start using my carbon fiber rims again.
More water bottles...
Maybe new helmet....but I am just not ready to spend $200 on one yet.  My current one is about a year old without any major hits....but for racing you are lucky to keep a helmet usable for over one year.  The wear and tear on it just kills it.

And building up side money for racing entries and lodging.  The good thing is my February race we got free lodging for the whole team which is nice since the entry was $100 for the 3 races (TT, road race then crit)

Now I just need to recover today from last nights drinking and go put some miles on Zwift....

2019 looks like I was just under 7900 miles for the year and spent about 413 hours on the bike....or 17 days.  2020 I am going to 10k miles, and a few more podium spots in some races..... we will see.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This last month I have been doing some spending for 2020 racing:

2 new bib shorts (black so I can wear them with my team kits)
New DT Swiss 460 rear rim (wheel needs to be rebuilt...People keep killing my rear wheel at the Driveway race)
New Garmin 530 to replace my 520 Plus.  (battery on my 520 plus could not last more than 3 hours with all the items connected to it)  The 530 is a huge difference I really recommend it.
New covers for the 530 (protect it from wrecks)
New front headlight/camera system (Cycliq 12)
New chain for my BMC that will need replacing in a month or so
Two new vests for colder riding
New shoes toe covers to keep feet warm
More chain lube...always need that....
Replacement seat post clamp for the BMC it has a design defect so the seat post only lasts for about 6 months so I have to replace it with a only BMC made $45 dollar seat post.  Love the bike but this part I hate.  The seat post clamp has a torque spec of 3NM....so low.
Tons of socks, gloves in the team colors (orange, purple, blue, pink, black)
Aero TT helmet, used for 2020 TT's

Other things on my list:
Tires and tubes (may move to tubeless for one set of wheels I have)  GP4k and 5k with maybe one more set of 4 seasons for winter riding.
Maybe some clip-on aero bars for my TT's.  I have a set, but I need to see if they fit the bike or me...I hate using clip-on bars, but for TTs it is how you go fast.
More chains...during the season I get about 3 months of use out of one.
More carbon brake pads....I eat up a set every 2-3 months when I start using my carbon fiber rims again.
More water bottles...
Maybe new helmet....but I am just not ready to spend $200 on one yet.  My current one is about a year old without any major hits....but for racing you are lucky to keep a helmet usable for over one year.  The wear and tear on it just kills it.

And building up side money for racing entries and lodging.  The good thing is my February race we got free lodging for the whole team which is nice since the entry was $100 for the 3 races (TT, road race then crit)

Now I just need to recover today from last nights drinking and go put some miles on Zwift....

2019 looks like I was just under 7900 miles for the year and spent about 413 hours on the bike....or 17 days.  2020 I am going to 10k miles, and a few more podium spots in some races..... we will see.
View Quote
Most of my recent and upcoming purchases are leaning more toward Gravel.  I have a kid in college and 2 more in high school so nothing fancy.  Recently bought a Cannondale Slate 105. Put a 11-34 cassette and a ultegra rx derailleur to climb on gravel better. It came with 650x42 slicks but Im putting tubeless Maxxis ramblers on to help with the dirt/mud. Im putting more money/training into flat repair because this gravel is no joke.  As a roadie I used to turn my nose up at gravel. Now Im not sure if I like the racing more or the glorious parties aftewards. First race is 85 mi on feb1 with the Landrun100 6 weeks later with some road and mtb sprinkled in. Im 54yo so a respectable finish against guys half my age puts a grin on my face for weeks. My FTP is 250-270 but i still weigh 175..if i can get under 160 and keep my power up I like my chances a whole lot better. Either way im excited as hell. Wish i had started 30 years ago
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top