Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2018 11:33:13 PM EDT
Right now I'm in the first few weeks of my fitness journey.

So far I'm just using beat-to-crap Nike running shoes. They're relatively flat to begin with, and whatever cushion there was has probably been stamped out by now.

They seem to be working just fine, but I'm wondering if there would be a noticeable difference if I switched to actual lifting shoe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The only lifts i think it makes any difference are squats and deadlift...with thqt being said i see alot of people just do these 2 lifts in socks. Reebok makes some nice ones or a nice cross training sneaker would be fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]
They’re useful for high bar(Olympic style) squats and that’s about it. Low bar you’re fine and for deadlifts I find I lean too far forward with them but some may find them useful.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I like using them for all of my lifting. Just putting them on puts me in the right mindset
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Squats definitely. Any Olympic lifts, definitely. I would even say definitely for OHP.

Deadlifts, I prefer wrestling shoes or barefoot.

For bench, doesn't matter as much but the added stability is nice.

For any bro lifts, it doesn't matter at all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a pair of Converse Chucks. Get a bunch of colors to match your sweet cutoff string shirt. Make sure you wear pants though so no one can see your tiny calves.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Squats definitely. Any Olympic lifts, definitely. I would even say definitely for OHP.

View Quote
There it is.  Exactly what you need.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much this.

If you're weightlifting (as in, true weightlifting- snatch and clean and jerk) or high bar squatting then weightlifting shoes are worth every penny. For power lifts- low bar squatting, deadlifts and bench, you don't need them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
YES.  Proper lifting shoes improved my overhead press.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for yes, they make a huge difference. Your shoes might be ok, you could film yourself lifting and see how much they compress.

For what it's worth world records are set with and without raised heels, but a .6 or .75 inch heel is helpful for almost everyone in the squat either high or low bar.

For deadlifting a heel will help with more quad activation but most people prefer flats or no shoes. It's worth experimenting imo.

For OHP and bench press they definitely help because both lifts start from the floor, despite being upper body lifts. If you want to bench a lot, leg drive is very important.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
What size are you?

I have a set of Powerlifts in size 10 I would sell for what I bought them for (got them during that sale last year, and only wore them twice).

They were a little too big for me, and I replaced them with a set of Inov8 Fastlifts.

The interesting part about first putting on a pair of lifting shoes and getting under the bar is how planted to the floor you feel, it's like there's magnets in your shoes and the floor is a big steel plate.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
When i was at my peak of lifting heavy I would wear them squatting, for me personally they provided more of a placebo effect. I had excellent mobility at that point so I could achieve proper position and could hit the same numbers  without them, but when i put them on it just reinforced in my mind “you’re suited up now it’s time to get under the bar”

The popular ones are frequently on sale/last years model on clearance so grab a pair and try them out!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a pair of Converse Chucks. Get a bunch of colors to match your sweet cutoff string shirt. Make sure you wear pants though so no one can see your tiny calves.
View Quote
This. I got 2500 deep in adidas weightlifting shoes then realized that chucks are way better for me.  Considering almost no one on this forum weightlifts, they powerlift or just do random crap that wastes time,  most would be best with chucks, barefoot, or in regular shoes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This. I got 2500 deep in adidas weightlifting shoes then realized that chucks are way better for me.  Considering almost no one on this forum weightlifts, they powerlift or just do random crap that wastes time,  most would be best with chucks, barefoot, or in regular shoes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been getting after my snatch for almost a year now. Still sucks. My wl coach cancelled his classes. Still trying to find a good coach that has classes when I can attend. For now I video my lifts and self analyze.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's one of those very personal things based on mobility, comfort, and how you prefer to squat.

I found that I prefer high bar much more than low bar, and adding shoes made high bar even more comfortable to do.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
^ This X 1,000.  I'm lucky that I have a complete set up at home so can lift barefoot.  But when I used to go to the gym it was Chucks. The flat bottoms and insoles let you feel the floor better.  Need more support?  No, you need to work on balance and also your stabilizer muscles.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a few of us that weightlift.

I'd still say it MAY be worth it for someone that high bar squats.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Although not to the same benefit, I felt they were worth it even for low bar.  I still wear mine deadlifting too, I would think its just a small deficit deadlift.  I guess if I wanted to compete high in a match (for some reason have the highest gross number PR I can) I would go toe shoe/barefoot, but otherwise they are fine.  Depends how long OP plans on doing this, its not like they are going to wear out in a year...
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
^ This X 1,000.  I'm lucky that I have a complete set up at home so can lift barefoot.  But when I used to go to the gym it was Chucks. The flat bottoms and insoles let you feel the floor better.  Need more support?  No, you need to work on balance and also your stabilizer muscles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If your a competitive weightlifter, get the shoes.

If you're just starting to lift, you don't need them. Nothing is more ridiculous than the weightlifting knuckleheads sporting their fancy shoes tying up the squat racks all the while lifting sweet fuck all
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Although not to the same benefit, I felt they were worth it even for low bar.  I still wear mine deadlifting too, I would think its just a small deficit deadlift.  I guess if I wanted to compete high in a match (for some reason have the highest gross number PR I can) I would go toe shoe/barefoot, but otherwise they are fine.  Depends how long OP plans on doing this, its not like they are going to wear out in a year...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah depends on how you're built and such I guess. I know a few guys that like them for low bar squats as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah depends on how you're built and such I guess. I know a few guys that like them for low bar squats as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m one of those guys too I guess, though I mostly just like the solid soles. If my feet fit converses I would just wear those.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I have screws in my ankle and adipowers have helped my squat quite a bit.  I warmup barefoot though to try and loosen everything up.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I wear Romeleos when squatting (low bar), OHP and bench press. Wrasslin shoes for deads (sumo).

Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I squat and dead in converse in the gym, but prefer to do it barefoot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

If your a competitive weightlifter, get the shoes.

If you're just starting to lift, you don't need them. Nothing is more ridiculous than the weightlifting knuckleheads sporting their fancy shoes tying up the squat racks all the while lifting sweet fuck all
View Quote
I have always been self conscious about being 'that guy' with all the stuff and no skill, so I didn't get shoes or a lifting belt until I had been lifting a while.  I think I was at 315lbs for 3x5 when I got my belt, can't remember when I got the shoes.  But I wear them for everything but deadlifts, the stability isn't much for bench, but very helpful on everything overhead.  Circus dumbbell for sure.

Quoted:
I have screws in my ankle and adipowers have helped my squat quite a bit. I warmup barefoot though to try and loosen everything up.
View Quote
I used to do that.  I'd go barefoot up to about 315 on my warmups and then put the shoes on and get to work.  But once I missed one tiny part of my routine and forgot to put the shoes on and do a few air squats to re-set my mind about the position.  I jumped directly under the bar with 265 on it and proceeded to squat in a terrible position and tipped over forward into the rack.  I wrenched my back pretty badly trying to keep from face planting with a bar behind me, which would have been pretty ugly pretty fast (no saftey bars, I was on a cross-fit style rack).

Anyway, now I wear shoes as soon as I start squatting and I do my stretching beforehand.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have always been self conscious about being 'that guy' with all the stuff and no skill, so I didn't get shoes or a lifting belt until I had been lifting a while.  I think I was at 315lbs for 3x5 when I got my belt, can't remember when I got the shoes.  But I wear them for everything but deadlifts, the stability isn't much for bench, but very helpful on everything overhead.  Circus dumbbell for sure.

I used to do that.  I'd go barefoot up to about 315 on my warmups and then put the shoes on and get to work.  But once I missed one tiny part of my routine and forgot to put the shoes on and do a few air squats to re-set my mind about the position.  I jumped directly under the bar with 265 on it and proceeded to squat in a terrible position and tipped over forward into the rack.  I wrenched my back pretty badly trying to keep from face planting with a bar behind me, which would have been pretty ugly pretty fast (no saftey bars, I was on a cross-fit style rack).

Anyway, now I wear shoes as soon as I start squatting and I do my stretching beforehand.
View Quote
There's this one guy (25 ish) who comes into the gym and I haven't seen him squat more than 135 lbs, but he takes his sneakers (remember, these aren't street shoes) off and puts on his lifting shoes
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#26]
For Olympic lifting they are necessary. For power-lifting they are also a huge help once you start squatting (yes low bar) >400 or deadlifting >500 - the alternative would be cheap ass chucks or barefoot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I like vans or chucks if the gym is too scuzzy to barefoot it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I am a newb, but I bought a pair of Addias PowerLifts.

They are not needed for the weight I'm using, but they remove the variables that are inherent in squishy soled shoes.

They allow me to better judge my still developing form and that's more than worth the price for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I like lifting shoes for squats, snatch, and cleaning. For deadlifts you shouldn't be wearing shoes with a raised heel, it's like a woman wearing heels, it raises your hip level up which is counterproductive for deads. Flat shoes or no shoes is best for deadlift, but real lifting shoes are nice for everything else.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They are not needed for the weight I'm using, but they remove the variables that are inherent in squishy soled shoes.

They allow me to better judge my still developing form and that's more than worth the price for me.
View Quote
Seconded. They are a decent shoe for ~80. I squat and OHP in them. Had them for 5 years now, probably an avg of 3x/week including a year of crossfit classes (everything but running).

If you opt to wear chucks, get the low top version. I love seeing people with hi-tops or boots laced super tight trying to squat and their ankles can't move at all. No wonder your form is shit.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seconded. They are a decent shoe for ~80. I squat and OHP in them. Had them for 5 years now, probably an avg of 3x/week including a year of crossfit classes (everything but running).

If you opt to wear chucks, get the low top version. I love seeing people with hi-tops or boots laced super tight trying to squat and their ankles can't move at all. No wonder your form is shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good advice, ankle flexibility is important.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I've just been using low cut chucks but think that proper lifting shoes would help my squat form a little more.  I can get parallel but it was a bit of work to get comfortable with it after un-learning a lifetime of back lifting.
Just waiting on a decent sale on dedicated lifting shoes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I wear converse chuck taylors at the gym.  I personally don't know what advantage you may gain from weightlifting shoes as I have never worn them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've just been using low cut chucks but think that proper lifting shoes would help my squat form a little more.  I can get parallel but it was a bit of work to get comfortable with it after un-learning a lifetime of back lifting.
View Quote
In the short term while you increase lifting weight, try a simple 2 1/2 or 5lb plate under each heel, just to reduce the range of motion required on your ankles.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I wear converse chuck taylors at the gym.  I personally don't know what advantage you may gain from weightlifting shoes as I have never worn them.
View Quote
Solid heel, flat bottom creates a very stable platform for your feet. Even chucks will have a little flex/squish in the sole. More surface area on the sole creates a better grip, especially on a wooden platform, than regular shoes designed for multisurface traction.

Raised heel can help aleviate/compensate for lack of ankle mobility, allowing knees to come forward for a better squat. also low cut around the ankle for the same reasons.

I think they are a must have for anyone trying to get more serious into weightlifting/squatting. Adidas powerlifts can be found for the same price or less than your avg running shoe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In the short term while you increase lifting weight, try a simple 2 1/2 or 5lb plate under each heel, just to reduce the range of motion required on your ankles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first time I did that I could instantly feel the mechanics of the movement coming together, rather than trying to force myself into it.

I squatted for a year with a board under my feet (sketchy) before just buying some shoes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had tried that initially but was completely uncomfortable squatting under the bar at the time. I also have extra sets of change plates now too. I will give a try next lifting session.
Thanks for the suggestion!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Definitely.  I have a pair of Adidas adipower and they eliminated certain back tweaks I'd been having with normal shoes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
If you are working out legs absolutely a flat sole workout shoe helps not just in the lift but with little injuries like tendinitis.  For running obviously a running shoe.  Other then those two it really doesn’t matter
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I want a pair of squat shoes, but I can't find a place that stocks them so I can try them on. I've got wide feet so I have to usually wear a size larger but I'd like to actually wear shoes before buying them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I want a pair of squat shoes, but I can't find a place that stocks them so I can try them on. I've got wide feet so I have to usually wear a size larger but I'd like to actually wear shoes before buying them.
View Quote
Zappos carries a few of them, might try there. They used to send a return label with each order and had a fit guarantee, if they didnt fit you dropped them back in the mail and they would exchange them no problem.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have wide feet too and have gone through 4 pairs.

Romeleos are wide, so are the new Reebok shoes (NOT the lifting/crossfit shoes the dedicated lifters are what I'm talking about). Adidas run narrow. The Pendlay ones are wide too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I am not an expert, but I run in wear low drop minimal shoes daily.  I think they are grea to workout in also.

New balance example
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]
It can't do anything other than help my poverty squat lifts.

Rogue had free shipping and my size in the ugliest shoe.
At least now I should be able to lift in the dark with the plutonium glow.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I go to the gym at least three mornings each week. It's on my work campus and free.

It's a small gym but has all of the necessary weightlifting equipment, racks, benches, etc.

Twice recently I've seen a new guy working out. 20s, not fat but not built, either. He has all new gear - belt, gloves, shoes, wraps.

Looks like he doesn't really know what he's doing but decided to start weightlifting so the first thing he did was to buy everything that the interwebs told him he needed.

Don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I go to the gym at least three mornings each week. It's on my work campus and free.

It's a small gym but has all of the necessary weightlifting equipment, racks, benches, etc.

Twice recently I've seen a new guy working out. 20s, not fat but not built, either. He has all new gear - belt, gloves, shoes, wraps.

Looks like he doesn't really know what he's doing but decided to start weightlifting so the first thing he did was to buy everything that the interwebs told him he needed.

Don't be that guy.
View Quote
This has nothing to do with weightlifting shoes.

If you are getting into WEIGHTLIFTING, regardless of skill level- you should get shoes.
If you are a powerlifter, you may or may not benefit from shoes.
Everyone else, maybe helpful for squats maybe not depending on the individual.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It can't do anything other than help my poverty squat lifts.

Rogue had free shipping and my size in the ugliest shoe.
At least now I should be able to lift in the dark with the plutonium glow.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/98037/Powerlift_jpg-733342.JPG
View Quote
What's your size? I have a less ugly set in 10 I'll send you for cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What's your size? I have a less ugly set in 10 I'll send you for cheaper.
View Quote
Size 12 and they seem to go quite fast when prices drop.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This has nothing to do with weightlifting shoes.

If you are getting into WEIGHTLIFTING, regardless of skill level- you should get shoes.
If you are a powerlifter, you may or may not benefit from shoes.
Everyone else, maybe helpful for squats maybe not depending on the individual.
View Quote
I agree.  I didn't get a belt for a while and I've only slowly accumulated other accessories as I find I need them, but shoes would have been good immediately.  Even just for high-bar squats before I was doing oly lifts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't be that guy.
View Quote
He should lose the gloves for sure, not going to comment on the wraps (I found that triple ply knee sleeves really helped me with squats early on).  But other than that, I completely disagree with you, you should have a belt and shoes, and why wouldn't you want to have the correct tools for the activity at your disposal?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top