Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/17/2018 10:58:29 AM EDT
As an old guy, I am not on par with the lifting powerhouses in the ARF Fitness forum. Trying to get there but, for now, I just wanted a place where others on the weak end of the journey can share progress and frustrations and get some pointers from the strong guys, if they’re willing to go slumming.

Hopefully some of you will join in and share and we can keep progress rolling along.

I’ll start:

I’m almost 50, 6’2”. I was once somewhat reasonably strong. A year and a half ago I was 236 lbs. and considered obese by BMI standards. I’m now 190 and have a normal BMI.

I am weak but slowly trying to get to benchmark strength performance standards: 2.5xBW DL, 2xBW Squat, 1.5xBW BP, and 1xBW Press. Its going to take me a long time. I do not have a young-guy performance curve.

I have an SI joint issue that’s contributed to a groin strain that’s completely killing my already shitty squats. Hoping to get a cortisone shot to help that out.

I started lifting again on March 12. Here’s my progress (all numbers are 3x5, DL is 1x5):

March 12:

183 lbs.

Squats: 95 - .52 x BW  
Deads: 155 - .85 x BW
Bench: 135 - .74 x BW
Press: 65 - .36 x BW

Chins: 4-1-1
Dips: 6-4-2

April 12:

185 lbs.

Squats: 145 - .78 x BW  
Deads: 225 - 1.22 x BW
Bench: 180 - .97 x BW
Press: 110 - .59 x BW

Chins: 7-4-3
Dips: 12-7-4

May 15:

190 lbs.

Squats: 145 - .76 x BW  (No progress. The injury is killing me.)
Deads: 260 - 1.37 x BW
Bench: 200 - 1.05 x BW
Press: 120 - .63 x BW

Chins: 10-7-6
Dips: +10lbs 12-9-8

I have a loooong way to go to reach my goals. I suck, but I’m getting stronger and leaner and I’m pretty sure I’m in better shape than the general population.

So, fellow weak guys...join me and share.

ARF lifting gods...peek in and help us out every now and again so that we may one day become one of you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
As a fellow Old Guy, I applaud your efforts and initiative.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm over 50 and 1 yr and 4 months after hernia surgery.
I do 3x5. 3 nites a week.

Cardio 2 nights.

I have a till death time horizon. Increase weight when current weights get too easy. Usually every 3 weeks or so.
I am not ever going to be 25 again.

I am definitely stronger than most 40 yo.

It makes me feel great.

Lifts are:
DL
Bench
Rows
Goblet squats
OHP

It's light by super man standards. But it's not about getting super strong for me.

It's about joint pain reduction, stamina, and well being/stress control.

Currently I have a super high stress job with zero physical exertion required.

When I was young I did harsh physical labor daily which I am paying for now in joint pain if I get too far out of shape.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a fellow Old Guy, I applaud your efforts and initiative.  
View Quote
Thanks, @Bud.

As I recall, despite being an old guy, you’re one of the arf lifting gods. Thanks for checking in. I will surely be asking for input as I try to stay on track.

Couldn’t squat yet again today.  But, moved up on DL, bench, and added weight to dips while increasing reps. DL still killed my SI joint, but I can still do it, so I did.

Ortho appt on Tuesday. I’m pushing for a cortisone shot so I can get full ROM and try to get a squat that wouldn’t embarrass an 8th grade girl.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm over 50 and 1 yr and 4 months after hernia surgery.
I do 3x5. 3 nites a week.

Cardio 2 nights.

I have a till death time horizon. Increase weight when current weights get too easy. Usually every 3 weeks or so.
I am not ever going to be 25 again.

I am definitely stronger than most 40 yo.

It makes me feel great.

Lifts are:
DL
Bench
Rows
Goblet squats
OHP

It's light by super man standards. But it's not about getting super strong for me.

It's about joint pain reduction, stamina, and well being/stress control.

Currently I have a super high stress job with zero physical exertion required.

When I was young I did harsh physical labor daily which I am paying for now in joint pain if I get too far out of shape.
View Quote
@zhick

“Light by Superman standards” is what this thread is about .  Thanks for checking in.

If we stay on track and add weight regularly, perhaps we can someday hang with the supermen.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Go get ‘em.

After being laid up for a while, and on crutches for the last month, my legs look like they belong on some kind of shore bird.  My jock son gave me the “dad, you used to have muscular legs/calves... what happened?”  Speech.

Don’t be like me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ll be 45 this year.

Nobody has asked if you’ve had your T levels checked?  

Good on ya for getting after it!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Good on you OP!

45 here and fighting my way back into a better shape.

Did keto to reduce the fluff from 189 to 155, then weights to put some meat back on from 155 to present 165 (my target weight at 5'10").

Started a modified 5x5 (it's actually a 4x4x8) in February.  Had been making good progress until a few weeks ago when I blew my back up (not while working out).  A few weeks off and reset progressions back a few weeks once I resumed working out, but back on the gains train now.

Using Jefit app to track.

Some graphs of my (very modest) progress below.

Bench Press

Squats - anemic, but was progressing well until the back issue

DL - weak as hell and took a "break" to build up squats, then the back issue, but on it now and progressing.

Press graph is wonky because I change up from front to back press depending on how my forearm is behaving, so the either graph has holes in it.  This is the back press graph.  max 1rm hit was ~170 before I reset for the back injury.

I do standing calf raises every workout, along with cable face pulls and tricep pushdowns.

For back I alternate bent rows, dumbbell rows and pull ups.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good on you OP!

45 here and fighting my way back into a better shape.

Did keto to reduce the fluff from 189 to 155, then weights to put some meat back on from 155 to present 165 (my target weight at 5'10").

Started a modified 5x5 (it's actually a 4x4x8) in February.  Had been making good progress until a few weeks ago when I blew my back up (not while working out).  A few weeks off and reset progressions back a few weeks once I resumed working out, but back on the gains train now.

Using Jefit app to track.

Some graphs of my (very modest) progress below.

Bench Press
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/bench-552278.png

Squats - anemic, but was progressing well until the back issue
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/squat-552283.png

DL - weak as hell and took a "break" to build up squats, then the back issue, but on it now and progressing.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/dl-552279.png

Press graph is wonky because I change up from front to back press depending on how my forearm is behaving, so the either graph has holes in it.  This is the back press graph.  max 1rm hit was ~170 before I reset for the back injury.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60523/press-552290.png

I do standing calf raises every workout, along with cable face pulls and tricep pushdowns.

For back I alternate bent rows, dumbbell rows and pull ups.
View Quote
That’s great progress for 3 months. Nice job!

I wish my anemic squats were at least 1xBW.

Went to the ortho today hoping for a cortisone shot for the SI joint and hip pain. He wouldn’t do it. I got an anti-inflammatory but that doesn’t seem to be doing shit.

I guess it’s foam rolling and stretching instead of squats for now.  Still able to do everything else though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried yoga?  Pigeon pose on a bed until you can do it on the floor, then work your way into twisted lizard.

I pretty much never feel a twinge anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you tried yoga?  Pigeon pose on a bed until you can do it on the floor, then work your way into twisted lizard.

I pretty much never feel a twinge anymore.
View Quote
Holy shit, I can’t get anywhere close to that pigeon pose!

Foam rolling, stretching, and icing last night helped a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, that's the muscles around the nerve being so tight that they pull on the nerve, causing your pain.  This is why you start that move standing on the floor and leaning on a bed.  You won't get anywhere near a good position, but after a few weeks it will loosen up and feel better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep, that's the muscles around the nerve being so tight that they pull on the nerve, causing your pain.  This is why you start that move standing on the floor and leaning on a bed.  You won't get anywhere near a good position, but after a few weeks it will loosen up and feel better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I found some stretches that seem close to that position so I’ll try to get it it over time.

Through some internet sleuthing and a lot of feeling/massaging my ass and groin I’m pretty sure my fucked up muscles are the piriformis (back side) and the pectineus (front side). They’re pulling on the hip and SI joint and messing with the sciatic nerve.

After some more stretching this AM approximating that pigeon pose, I was able to do deep no-weight squats without any SI or adductor pain for the first time in weeks.

Looks like I’m starting over from scratch on squats. The “just work through it” philosophy of my younger days won’t do it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks. I found some stretches that seem close to that position so I’ll try to get it it over time.

Through some internet sleuthing and a lot of feeling/massaging my ass and groin I’m pretty sure my fucked up muscles are the piriformis (back side) and the pectineus (front side). They’re pulling on the hip and SI joint and messing with the sciatic nerve.

After some more stretching this AM approximating that pigeon pose, I was able to do deep no-weight squats without any SI or adductor pain for the first time in weeks.

Looks like I’m starting over from scratch on squats. The “just work through it” philosophy of my younger days won’t do it.
View Quote
That's good news.  I noticed that if I sit in the wrong chair for a long time I'll hurt.  I can't tell if the chair will do it until it's too late, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#14]
At 51, I don't like to think of myself as an old guy. Anyway, started SL5x5 in January.  Slowly making progress. My only regret is I didn't lift thirty years ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I can’t be the only old weakling in the Fitness forum, can I? I was hoping for some company.

Anyway, most lifts are still moving along well, but I’ve moved into rehab for squats. Trying to nurse the hip by doing the bar for high reps. Seems to be working...but slowly.

At this rate, by the time I get back to non-rehab squat weights, I’ll have an overhead press heavier than my squat.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can't be the only old weakling in the Fitness forum, can I? I was hoping for some company.

Anyway, most lifts are still moving along well, but I've moved into rehab for squats. Trying to nurse the hip by doing the bar for high reps. Seems to be working...but slowly.

At this rate, by the time I get back to non-rehab squat weights, I'll have an overhead press heavier than my squat.
View Quote
@grady

I'm 62, and started competing in powerlifting recently after lifting reasonably steady for about 5 years.  So, you're not the only old weakling around.  :-)

I started lifting because of a very bad back (originally L5-SI problems, over the years moved fully in to the hips).  I have found the use of tennis balls to be helpful in releasing muscle tension. I lay face up on them at various points on each side of my spine, and face down with them either at my diaphragm or inside the cups of the hips (flexor release).  I use them regularly, and have made great progress.

Also, look up "Starr Rehab" - here's one good description -> https://chicagosc.com/starr-rehab-protocol-muscle-injury/

Shortly after I started lifting, I pulled my left adductor and this process helped a lot.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@grady

I'm 62, and started competing in powerlifting recently after lifting reasonably steady for about 5 years.  So, you're not the only old weakling around.  :-)

I started lifting because of a very bad back (originally L5-SI problems, over the years moved fully in to the hips).  I have found the use of tennis balls to be helpful in releasing muscle tension. I lay face up on them at various points on each side of my spine, and face down with them either at my diaphragm or inside the cups of the hips (flexor release).  I use them regularly, and have made great progress.

Also, look up "Starr Rehab" - here's one good description -> https://chicagosc.com/starr-rehab-protocol-muscle-injury/

Shortly after I started lifting, I pulled my left adductor and this process helped a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't be the only old weakling in the Fitness forum, can I? I was hoping for some company.

Anyway, most lifts are still moving along well, but I've moved into rehab for squats. Trying to nurse the hip by doing the bar for high reps. Seems to be working...but slowly.

At this rate, by the time I get back to non-rehab squat weights, I'll have an overhead press heavier than my squat.
@grady

Good on you, @wmounts !  I hope I keep it going and am still at it at 62. I got tired of being broken all the time.

Starr rehab is what’s keeping me going for squats. What’s great is that everything that’s tight and painful on the first set loosens up and feels fantastic on the 2nd and 3rd.

I’ve been foam/ball rolling several times a week. It definitely works. Kinda weird when it looks like I’m humping the floor to hit the adductor.

Progress (3x5. DL=1x5):

Squats: rehab
DL: 285
BP: 225
OHP: 135

Added weight to dips/chins.

Getting there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Slow and steady wins the race!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Still no other weak or average guys joining me in here, huh?

Oh well.

I think I’m finally over my hip/groin/SI joint issues that have held me up for 3 months and I might actually make some progress soon.

Pulled 305 for 5 yesterday. Looking forward to a 315 DL so I can say I did 3 plates for the first time ever on any lift.

Even if nobody’s in this thread, it makes me feel good just being able to say that. Old guy goals.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I think that's pretty cool.

I'm 43 and I've been lifting for 4 years now.  I wish I had started a lot sooner, it's really hard to not get hurt at this age.  I push my limits a little further than I probably should, but I have a completely nonphysical job so I'm not risking my livelihood if I get hurt.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think that's pretty cool.

I'm 43 and I've been lifting for 4 years now.  I wish I had started a lot sooner, it's really hard to not get hurt at this age.  I push my limits a little further than I probably should, but I have a completely nonphysical job so I'm not risking my livelihood if I get hurt.
View Quote
I’m hoping that once I’ve been into it for as long as you I will have restored enough muscular support around my joints that they will again function as intended and injuries will be minimized. So far, so good.

Until then, I’ll grind through and enjoy the fact that, for some lifts, every workout is a new PR. That’s probably about the only benefit of being at the beginning of the process.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Getting less weak.

March 12:

183 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 95
Deads (1x5): 155
Bench (3x5): 135
Press (3x5): 65

July 11:

198 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 165 (finally adding weight after weeks of rehabbing my hip/groin)
Deads (1x5): 310
Bench (3x5): 240
Press (3x5): 140 (had to deload and work back up because I kept missing at 150)

Chins:13-10-9 @ BW or +35lbs 3x5
Dips: +35lbs 12-10-8

I missed twice on BP and DL last week because I did those workouts a day after dropping and cutting trees all day. I had nothing in the tank. I’ve been eating everything in sight since then so I wouldn’t miss a third time. Hit my reps pretty easily yesterday but I can’t stay over 200 BW. Lifts are progressing but waist size and BW aren’t going up no matter how much I stuff into my face. I guess that means I should eat more.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Getting less weak.

March 12:

183 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 95
Deads (1x5): 155
Bench (3x5): 135
Press (3x5): 65

July 11:

198 lbs.

Squats (3x5): 165 (finally adding weight after weeks of rehabbing my hip/groin)
Deads (1x5): 310
Bench (3x5): 240
Press (3x5): 140 (had to deload and work back up because I kept missing at 150)

Chins:13-10-9 @ BW or +35lbs 3x5
Dips: +35lbs 12-10-8

I missed twice on BP and DL last week because I did those workouts a day after dropping and cutting trees all day. I had nothing in the tank. I’ve been eating everything in sight since then so I wouldn’t miss a third time. Hit my reps pretty easily yesterday but I can’t stay over 200 BW. Lifts are progressing but waist size and BW aren’t going up no matter how much I stuff into my face. I guess that means I should eat more.
View Quote
That's CRAZY progress on the OHP.  Nice work.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Heck yes it is - great work on bench as well.

Are you doing any pull work to round it out?  Like face pulls, etc?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll be 32 this year, so a bit younger crowd in this thread. And probably the weakest lol.

BW 269 BMI of 35. Obese by that standard, in the dark yellow. I have dropped 31 lbs and down from a 39 BMI.

I'm on week 2 of SS, before this I haven't lifted in about 10 years. I wished I had kept it up, but second best time to plant a tree, right?

I have been progressing in most of my lifts.

Squats 3x5x185 - .69 % BW goal would be 538 at 2x
BP 3x5x145 - .54% BW goal would be 403 at 1.5x
OHP 3x5x95 - .35% BW goal would be 269 at 1x
Deadlift goal would be 682 at 2.5x

Obviously this will be fluid as my BW is changing, bit those numbers look good to me! Lol

Deads I'm stuck on form, but I feel once that is hammered out I will make decent progress.

I'm noticing an increase in definition as I grow, not that my clothes are tighter around the target areas (chest, arms, etc) bit in seeing the muscles more through the fat that is there. In the arms and the calfs.

I have a long way to go, and I do feel good about my progress. Smaller waist, more energy. I do also walk with the wife about 2 miles a day, more for some time to talk around 3 kids, but that doesn't hurt any at all, especially on the fat loss side.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, guys! I’ll take all the validation I can get.

As for pulls, I started alternating barbell rows with deadlifts once deads got heavy (for me). So, every other workout I’m doing Pendlay/SS rows where the back is horizontal and in extension and the bar is pulled from the floor for each rep. 205x3x5. Getting to the point where it’s hard not to cheat the bar up a little bit on the last rep of each set. A little cheat on rows isn’t terrible though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I am impressed with your weight gain.  I assume it's mostly muscle.  Can you share some details from your diet?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am impressed with your weight gain.  I assume it's mostly muscle.  Can you share some details from your diet?
View Quote
I’ll do my best, but I haven’t been tracking closely. A little background. My starting point was keto. Went from 236 and sloppy in January 2017 to mid 180s maintenance from 8/17 to 3/18. 183 is really low for me so I was probably pretty well primed to throw some weight on.

I maintained strict keto for a few weeks while increasing calories marginally. When I started missing lifts in the spring I added protein shakes, BCAAs, creatine, and larger meal portions. I also added fruit juice to my pre and post workout shakes and strawberries and blueberries for dessert or snacks. I also allowed more incidental carbs. So, way more glucose than strict keto. But I was still pissing purple on the keto strips.

My lifts progressed, I gained weight, but my tightest board shorts still fit loose. This went on fine until a couple weeks ago. In mid-late June I stopped gaining weight and the bar slowed down, but I wasn’t really missing lifts. I added more meals during the day. Heavy protein. Still fairly low on carbs. I upped the fruit juice in my shakes and allowed OJ as a straight drink. Maybe a Gatorade once or twice a week. Meal portions became larger. 3/4 pound turkey or roast beef in a wrap. Maybe a roll instead for more incidental carbs. Protein shakes went from 2/day on workout days to 4/day. 1 lb. steaks and a whole bag of cauliflower rice for dinner. Meat/cheese omelettes for breakfast on weekends. I regularly put away a whole pint of strawberries with whole full fat yogurt for dessert.

Basically, I just upped portions and frequency to keep from missing reps while trying to get bigger. Not gaining inches in the waist is a bonus. I went by feel. If I undereat, I can tell I’m not recovered enough to hit reps. I can just feel it. So I eat more.

I suspect that I’ll make some gains for a while and then I’ll have to up my eating game again to keep up with newly acquired lean mass.

Hope that helps. I’m still trying to figure it all out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
It sounds like Keto really works for you.  That's great.  I can't do it as a lifestyle, but I mix in low to extremely low carb days every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It sounds like Keto really works for you.  That's great.  I can't do it as a lifestyle, but I mix in low to extremely low carb days every once in awhile.
View Quote
Yes and no.

If I had to base an assessment on my own personal experience, I’d say that keto diet ratios of 75f/25p/5c work extremely well for periods of zero to moderate activity when someone is trying to lose fat while not doing anything else. Keto lifestyle allows more flexibility because you’re not necessarily focused on the scale after you get to a certain point.

This appears to change when high intensity anaerobic work like lifting comes into play. I can say with certainty that I’m no longer insulin resistant. I can consume carbs, even straight sugar (fruit and juice), on lifting days and I believe my insulin response is used for its intended purpose: to shuttle glycogen to my muscle cells for current energy demands, rather than fat storage. Insulin is anabolic.

So, why am I still pissing purple on the strips after consuming over 100-150g carbs instead of keto-regimen 20g? I dunno. I think it’s because I’m not leaving any sugar in the tank. That’s my unscientific explanation.

I cannot lift as much without carbs. Period. But my approach now is more like dosing carbs, and plenty of them, rather than just eating them all the time.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes and no.

If I had to base an assessment on my own personal experience, I’d say that keto diet ratios of 75f/25p/5c work extremely well for periods of zero to moderate activity when someone is trying to lose fat while not doing anything else. Keto lifestyle allows more flexibility because you’re not necessarily focused on the scale after you get to a certain point.

This appears to change when high intensity anaerobic work like lifting comes into play. I can say with certainty that I’m no longer insulin resistant. I can consume carbs, even straight sugar (fruit and juice), on lifting days and I believe my insulin response is used for its intended purpose: to shuttle glycogen to my muscle cells for current energy demands, rather than fat storage. Insulin is anabolic.

So, why am I still pissing purple on the strips after consuming over 100-150g carbs instead of keto-regimen 20g? I dunno. I think it’s because I’m not leaving any sugar in the tank. That’s my unscientific explanation.

I cannot lift as much without carbs. Period. But my approach now is more like dosing carbs, and plenty of them, rather than just eating them all the time.
View Quote
Oh God, you may have just triggered some people.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Oh God, you may have just triggered some people.
View Quote
As a confirmed keto cool-aid drinker do I get a free triggering pass?

I guess the tl;dr version of that diatribe is that I’m taking a “minimum effective dose” approach to carbs during lifting. Training gains seem to be dependent on some level of carb intake, so I’ll eat as many as I have to to make the gains. Carb intake wouldn’t appear necessary if I was just “exercising” without a plan to add weight to the bar. I could still exercise, burn fat, and sweat a lot without carbs, but I don’t think I could get stronger past a certain point. I tried. It didn’t work.

Anyway, there are enough keto threads. Back to “weak guys trying to get stronger.”
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As a confirmed keto cool-aid drinker do I get a free triggering pass?

I guess the tl;dr version of that diatribe is that I’m taking a “minimum effective dose” approach to carbs during lifting. Training gains seem to be dependent on some level of carb intake, so I’ll eat as many as I have to to make the gains. Carb intake wouldn’t appear necessary if I was just “exercising” without a plan to add weight to the bar. I could still exercise, burn fat, and sweat a lot without carbs, but I don’t think I could get stronger past a certain point. I tried. It didn’t work.

Anyway, there are enough keto threads. Back to “weak guys trying to get stronger.”
View Quote
I think carbs help a lot to get stronger.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I’ll jump on board:

I’m 50, 6’1” and was approximately 205-210?lbs (March 2018) Skinny/Fat. 60hr/wk sedentary office job.  Embarrassed that I am as weak as I am.  I decided I would take Arfcom’s often stated advice and “Stop Being Fat & Weak”!!
I started Starting Strength in March 2018 with just the bar for all lifts.  I started Keto on July 1st and am currently 197lbs with around 15lbs more fat to lose.  I have no strength baseline but would be happy with: 250 DL, 250 Squat, 200 BP, and 120 Press. It appears that my expectations while low for Arfcom may be a bit overzealous based on my progress to date.

My current numbers are: (all numbers are 3x5, DL is 1x5):

July 10, 2018

Weight 197 lbs.

Squats: 185 - .94 x BW.  Only managed 5,5,3.  Was up to 195 prior but reset as I was very wobbly
Deads: 165 - .84 x BW
Bench: 140 - .71 x BW
Press: 90 - .49 x BW.  I have reset several times as my form sucks!!  I end up leaning back too much because of anterior pelvic tilt (I am working on this also)

Chins: 9-9-10 with ~40lb rubber band assistance

I hope that actually posting this gives me (and others) an additional kick in the pants I (We) need!
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll jump on board:

I'm 50, 6'1" and was approximately 205-210?lbs (March 2018) Skinny/Fat. 60hr/wk sedentary office job.  Embarrassed that I am as weak as I am.  I decided I would take Arfcom's often stated advice and "Stop Being Fat & Weak"!!
I started Starting Strength in March 2018 with just the bar for all lifts.  I started Keto on July 1st and am currently 197lbs with around 15lbs more fat to lose.  I have no strength baseline but would be happy with: 250 DL, 250 Squat, 200 BP, and 120 Press. It appears that my expectations while low for Arfcom may be a bit overzealous based on my progress to date.

July 10, 2018

Weight 197 lbs.

Squats: 185 - .94 x BW.  Only managed 5,5,3.  Was up to 195 prior but reset as I was very wobbly
Press: 90 - .49 x BW.  I have reset several times as my form sucks!!  I end up leaning back too much because of anterior pelvic tilt (I am working on this also)

I hope that actually posting this gives me (and others) an additional kick in the pants I (We) need!
View Quote
Awesome!

There is no shame in those #s at all.  The name of the game is slow, steady, injury free progress.  No need to rush it.  Adding muscle at 50 isn't as easy as 10/20 years earlier.  Just stick with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’ll jump on board:

I’m 50, 6’1” and was approximately 205-210?lbs (March 2018) Skinny/Fat. 60hr/wk sedentary office job.  Embarrassed that I am as weak as I am.  I decided I would take Arfcom’s often stated advice and “Stop Being Fat & Weak”!!

July 10, 2018

Weight 197 lbs.

View Quote
Nice job!

And welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ll jump on board:

July 10, 2018

Weight 197 lbs.

View Quote
Those numbers are great! Like said, if you're making progress then keep going!

I share similar # goals, I'm not looking to be a power lifter or anything, just overall strong.

One thing said above is coming off Keto may help with progress. Something you may want to look into.

I am jealous, with my BW I still haven't done any good, clean chins/pull-ups.ive always been big and I can't remember ever being able to do so.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Pulled 315 for 5 today.

3 plates is a major milestone for me. Next one: 405
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Still crushing it OP?
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pulled 315 for 5 today.

3 plates is a major milestone for me. Next one: 405
View Quote
Awesome! I working up my weight as well, one day I'll be up there!
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Still crushing it OP?
View Quote
On hiatus. I am on a 3-week vacation with no gym access and limited internet access. I’ve been eating local food like a a fiend, drinking to excess, and getting a lot of sun and beach time with the family.

Progress will be lost. But, it will be regained with some effort.

I was starting to get beat up anyway, so this might be a good opportunity for sore tendons and joints to heal up.

This is a very long journey anyway, so 3 weeks is negligible in the grand scheme. Back under the bar in mid-August. Back to the bar tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pulled 315 for 5 today.

3 plates ise a major milestone for me. Next one: 405
View Quote
Yeah buddy!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll jump in. 34 years old, current BW is 179, 6'1". Started lifting early January for the first time doing Starting Strength. Started having fatigue issues very early March, and had to quit lifting because of it. I work a very physical job, 7 days a week, so I do have to be able to function. Got blood work done, low T found, started TRT in April, started lifting again May 21 doing SL 5x5.

Starting weights 5/21/18:

Squat 95#
Bench 75#
OHP 45#
Deadlift 135#
Barbell row 65#

I also add in weighted push ups and chin ups on alternating work outs, as well as weighted standing calf raises every workout.

Current number 8/5/18:

Squat 205# (deloaded from 205->170 on 7/17)
Bench 120# (deloaded from 130->105 on 7/22)
OHP 90# (deloaded from 100->80 7/24)
Deadlift 250# (haven't failed a set yet)
Barbell row 145# (haven't failed a set)
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
28 years old, was 334 last August, now 277. Haven't done shit until about three weeks ago exercise wise to lose weight, just focused on diet.

In the weak category right now, started SL 5x5 on July 23rd and I'm breezing through it so far. I've worked out on and off for years, but never with a program or any real structure (and thus never achieved anything worthwhile). Everything is still light weight (squat 80, bench 60, row 70, OH press 60, DL 135) but the OH press is probably what I'll have to de-load on first. I've never been able to do squats because I lacked the ROM but so far they are super easy and now my favorite exercise. I have a lot of metal hardware in my right elbow as the result of a GSW approximately nine years ago, since then I've never been able to do more than 165 on bench. Two nights ago I did 185 once and multiple 5 rep sets of 135 after my 5x5 workout, so I'm definitely getting stronger already. Never played sports, was moderately active for a sedentary person, but got SUPER lazy the last three years due to the relationship I was in (McDonalds and chill - literally - was a daily thing) and

Not sure starting it before I lost another 25-30 pounds was the best idea for me mentally in regards to staring at the scale, as I had finally gotten my diet well enough controlled that I was consistently seeing the number drop as my pant sizes did too and everything started fitting looser in the chest, stomach, and legs. I know the number lies (I can usually estimate what I'll be within a pound given what I ate and drank that day, as I work a physically demanding job and consume a LOT of fluids), but when everything is going down and I see myself getting thinner, it's a good feeling. Hoping starting 5x5 won't hamper that too much, but I doubt it will right away with the light weights I'm lifting.

After doing the math, I should be able to squat 225 on my birthday if I don't have to deload any between now and then (Oct 12)... that'll be a great feeling if it comes true.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
28 years old, was 334 last August, now 277. Haven't done shit until about three weeks ago exercise wise to lose weight, just focused on diet.

In the weak category right now, started SL 5x5 on July 23rd and I'm breezing through it so far. I've worked out on and off for years, but never with a program or any real structure (and thus never achieved anything worthwhile). Everything is still light weight (squat 80, bench 60, row 70, OH press 60, DL 135) but the OH press is probably what I'll have to de-load on first. I've never been able to do squats because I lacked the ROM but so far they are super easy and now my favorite exercise. I have a lot of metal hardware in my right elbow as the result of a GSW approximately nine years ago, since then I've never been able to do more than 165 on bench. Two nights ago I did 185 once and multiple 5 rep sets of 135 after my 5x5 workout, so I'm definitely getting stronger already. Never played sports, was moderately active for a sedentary person, but got SUPER lazy the last three years due to the relationship I was in (McDonalds and chill - literally - was a daily thing) and

Not sure starting it before I lost another 25-30 pounds was the best idea for me mentally in regards to staring at the scale, as I had finally gotten my diet well enough controlled that I was consistently seeing the number drop as my pant sizes did too and everything started fitting looser in the chest, stomach, and legs. I know the number lies (I can usually estimate what I'll be within a pound given what I ate and drank that day, as I work a physically demanding job and consume a LOT of fluids), but when everything is going down and I see myself getting thinner, it's a good feeling. Hoping starting 5x5 won't hamper that too much, but I doubt it will right away with the light weights I'm lifting.

After doing the math, I should be able to squat 225 on my birthday if I don't have to deload any between now and then (Oct 12)... that'll be a great feeling if it comes true.
View Quote
I think most of us starting out have to deload OHP first. I'm working back up on bench and OHP right now. Bench just doesn't want to progress quickly. Squats, OTOH, are coming along nicely. Did 210# last night, heaviest I've ever squatted, in my new to me cage/rack and felt really good in it. Definitely have more room to progress this time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think most of us starting out have to deload OHP first. I'm working back up on bench and OHP right now. Bench just doesn't want to progress quickly. Squats, OTOH, are coming along nicely. Did 210# last night, heaviest I've ever squatted, in my new to me cage/rack and felt really good in it. Definitely have more room to progress this time.
View Quote
It's not impossible, but getting harder on the last two sets for sure. Rows got easier when I did them next to a mirror and realized how much I was rounding my back, so I corrected the form and now it feels like nothing. Last night I did a couple sets of heavier bench just to see where I am, and got to 135x8 before I was gassed (I'd have been lucky to hit it x3 lately before starting) and 145x5 wasn't so difficult I couldn't finish. Coupled with 185x1 the other night, I can definitely tell a strength increase without my bum arm feeling weak or sore, which is what I was hoping for with the process of building up from just the bar.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Being old sucks. Missed about 6 weeks from the end of Juy through the beginning of September.  Got started back up again first week of September.

I’m just getting back to where I was at the end of June for most lifts.

On the plus side, I’m finally making progress on squats. But, holy shit...detraining doesnt fuck around when you get old.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Hope thread stays alive.

62 years old. I have been using dumbbells at home, ok not regular basis. Started 5x5 today using squat rack for first time. I will try to add after first week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Tore my rotator cuff in July doing DB Flys. Decided against surgery and did pt. Just started back on my routine last week. Lost a bit of strength, but not as bad as I thought. Getting old does suck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tore my rotator cuff in July doing DB Flys. Decided against surgery and did pt. Just started back on my routine last week. Lost a bit of strength, but not as bad as I thought. Getting old does suck.
View Quote
How much weight were you using when you got hurt? That kinda shit scares me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top