Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 8:33:37 PM EDT
Other side of 60 here and needing something to help me loose around 50 #. Any recommendations on something low impact. I stay busy on my feet, and active for 10 or more hours a day, but I have nothing to get  my  heart  rate pumping. Feet  and knees ache some, so any Ideas to avoid  the pounding  that a treadmill will offer.

Wife had a Nordic Track, never could stand that thing!  Bicycle? Elliptical ?

Thanks  for any advise. Time constraints keep me from getting a gym membership.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Bicycle, for both exercise and transportation without gasoline.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would love to, except downtown Dallas is 35 miles away, and we live where nobody has a sidewalk,  an the narrow streets where a bicycle isn't  safe. I've got a trek 730 that I love to ride, but entails a pickup ride to the nearest  bike trail.

Wife also is an avid biker, haven been on quite a few RAGBRAI. ( Des Moines registers great bike ride across Iowa )
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Squat rack
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Versaclimber.....

Thank me later.

ZA
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thigh master.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Versaclimber has got my attention. Upper and lower at same time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
bike and elliptical are both good lower impact machines.  they will help you get healthier but losing weight  still comes down to what you eat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
battle ropes

and/or a squat rack if you have the space
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Treadmill
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
battle ropes

and/or a squat rack if you have the space
View Quote

sounds like something you should randomly take up if youre over 60.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Kettlebell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]

You could've gone with shake weight.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#14]
A scale and a notebook because weight loss comes from diet, not exercise.  You can't outrun the spoon!

Write down everything you consume that has calories and write your weight every day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tug toner would be best for over 60.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's north of 60 he wants to think about Suzzane Summers.  That means thigh master!

Although shake weight and tug toner could mean Richard Simmons, not that there's anythi.....  Yeah, there's a lot wrong with that.

Sorry to derail, OP.  I hate treadmill runs, so I suggest a Schwinn air-dyne bike.  You should be able to get a fair deal on one.  Second would be a rower, but they are more expensive and take up more room.  I like using them better though.

Have you thought about an indoor workout on your existing mountain bike?  Get a trainer and set up in the garage, living room, driveway or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#17]
An indoor swimming pool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Flesh light
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate elliptical machines, I say rower/ergometer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
You really want two items.  Bicycle, and a power cage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Squat rack
View Quote

3PNI
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Other side of 60 here and needing something to help me loose around 50 #. Any recommendations on something low impact. I stay busy on my feet, and active for 10 or more hours a day, but I have nothing to get  my  heart  rate pumping. Feet  and knees ache some, so any Ideas to avoid  the pounding  that a treadmill will offer.

Wife had a Nordic Track, never could stand that thing!  Bicycle? Elliptical ?

Thanks  for any advise. Time constraints keep me from getting a gym membership.
View Quote

If you're willing to lift I'd say a squat rack.

If you're not, then a bike or rower. I know some guys like the versa climber, I've never used one.

I hate ellipticals. Waste of time IMO.

ETA- accidentally typed "have" instead of "hate". I hate ellipticals
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Olympic barbell and plates.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Squat rack or smith machine with an adjustable bench.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Squat rack or smith machine with an adjustable bench.
View Quote

Concur
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Squat rack or rower.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Squat rack doesn't do shit if you ain't got weights. That's a big investment, both time and space.

Other side of 60, I'd reaaaallly consider a rower. It's "low impact" but NOT "low effort". OP real talk, you should take a look at getting a Concept2 or a WaterRower, but remember: buy once, cry once. Paying 800 bucks for a C2 means you can sell it for 725 bucks in like 5 years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If he's north of 60 he wants to think about Suzzane Summers.  That means thigh master!

Although shake weight and tug toner could mean Richard Simmons, not that there's anythi.....  Yeah, there's a lot wrong with that.

Sorry to derail, OP.  I hate treadmill runs, so I suggest a Schwinn air-dyne bike.  You should be able to get a fair deal on one.  Second would be a rower, but they are more expensive and take up more room.  I like using them better though.

Have you thought about an indoor workout on your existing mountain bike?  Get a trainer and set up in the garage, living room, driveway or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just putting the bike on a trainer makes the most sense.

Also, MyFitnessPal really helped with weight loss for me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Myfitnesspal REALLY helps keep you from cheating and snacking and will show how many junk calories people consume through sodas and beer/alcohol.

-ZA
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hate elliptical machines, I say rower/ergometer.
View Quote

Yeah, I'd lean towards a rower if you are comfortable on one.  The workouts can be varied, long distance, sprinting, tabata, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Squat Rack with adjustable bench and pull up bar, rings, and a good barbell with bumper plates, and for cardio, a rower.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Squat Rack with adjustable bench and pull up bar, rings, and a good barbell with bumper plates, and for cardio, a rower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't know where you learned to count but that is not one piece of exercise equipment....could have just recommended that he buy and entire gym
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just say crossfit
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#34]
a good pair of shoes and walk, and other people are right, it starts in the kitchen, I dropped 80lbs doing paleo without any exercise at all, from 395 down to almost 310 today, even though im a meat eater, I saw on youtube a vegan cyclist guy named durianrider in one of his videos say, the fat you eat is the fat you keep, dieting efficiency starts in the kitchen. kinda pointless to workout if the diet isn't properly tailored to your needs and body.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top