Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 10:58:42 AM EDT
Ok, so I took a week off due to travel and other bullshit, and got back on the weights on Wednesday for leg day.  Today I did upper body, and I think I may have overdone it.
How much should I reduce my weight after a week off?  My incline bench is at 40lbs dumbells; one in each hand.  My military press is 20lbs per hand.  I was amazed at how hard it was to get up to my usual reps after just a week off.
Monday would normally be my next upper body day.  What should I shoot for in terms of weight on Monday?
Of course, since the board will be down all weekend, I'm sure I will probably just wind up taking Monday off as well.  Either that or seriously reducing the weight to something like 20lbs/hand for incline just to be safe.  This of course is assuming I didn't do something bad enough to actually injure myself.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised at this.  I recently took two weeks off due to a knee surgery.  When I went back I did only seated lifts or machines to keep from over stressing the knee and was able to do the same weights/reps/sets I was doing before the 2 week lay-off.  
However, and this may play a big part, I was due for some time off because I had been lifting pretty hard for about 8 to 10 weeks prior to the surgery and was doing a planned rest cycle.
Moderators, what's your learned opinions??
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello,

Ha ha...a new acronym: IBTM ("In Before The Maintenance")

Unless your reps went down to 0-2, I would just repeat the same rep/weight target on your last workout before the week off.

Your experience is actually a good thing.  If you came back and did more weight/reps than before the week off, that would be an indication of overtraining...which is almost like the stagflation of the 1970's (hard to get out of).

If you still have problems on your 2nd to 3rd workout after the rest, then try decreasing your reps to 3-5 and increase your rest to 2-4 minutes between sets and work the rest back down to normal, then the reps back up to normal.

Also, if these are new exercises for you (because you changed them to get back to "bulking up") then simple motor-muscle memory, er, learing experience performing the exercise could be a factor.  This will also go away after more workout sessions.  

Hope this helps and let us know,

James
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
I'm actuallyt surprised that I'm not sore at all today.  My chest was sore last night, but nothing today.  I seem to get sore the same day that I work out now, and nothing after that, is that possible?
Since I don't appear to have damaged anything, I think I will continue on with my "normal" routine on Monday.
Good call James, remembering my "bulking up" thread.  I have been using alot of your advice and it seems to be productive.  The big plus is that my workouts went from 40-45 minutes to 20-30.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top