Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 12:47:31 PM EDT
So after the "turn your head and cough" exam, the Doc says I have a small hernia. Naturally I freak out and ask about lifting, squats, surgery, etc... She said that I didn't need surgery and to be careful when working out. I guess it's small and most likely has been there for years/birth or whatever. Currently I'm a fatty thats trying to lose weight through diet and exercise. I walked a 5k yesterday and signed up for another on Dec.1st. I want to be in better physical condition and able to actually do more than one pull up or a handful of pushups. Has anyone here experienced this and continued to work out? I used to be in a lot better shape after highschool but a desk job brought about lazyness and office ass and I'm trying to correct that now. It seems like this is another roadblock that I hope is a easy one to get past.

I'm currently weighing in at 230 with a 40in waist and at 5'8 I'm in the obese section of the BMI. Also, I'm on cholesterol meds.  I think I need to be around 170 or so. I weighed in at around 175-180 out of High school.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get a second opinion. Im not a doctor but the turn your head and cough test seems to me like something to justify or deny further, more complex testing. Not a final say kind of test.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd get a second opinion as well.  Might be something to take care of before it becomes a problem.

I have had an umbilical hernia for years and every doc I've seen says to wait on surgery till it becomes a problem.  Umbilical hernias are less likely to pop though so don't take that as a recommendation to not get it fixed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
What you have to watch for is if the intestine pushes through and gets choked in position and begins to rot due to lack of blood supply.  That appears not to be the norm but it could happen.  If so, and you do nothing, you die to death.  AMF, adiós etc.

I just had laproscopic hernia surgery and was playing golf three weeks later.  It isn't pleasant but it is a lot better than the cut and gouge method.  Watch it and get it fixed if there are any changes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#4]
How old are you?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How old are you?

Thanks for the replies. I've got a follow up in a few months. I'll ask about a referral and second opinions. I think I'll focus on cardio and some upper body stuff until then.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
At 33 I'd look into getting it fixed
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
second opinion, get it fixed if needed, and then make a plan to lose the weight and keep it off...that is an aggravating condition
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm by no means a doctor so my post should not be construed as medical advice.

I have a soft spot that my doctor has found every year with my physical since I was playing ball in highschool 16 years ago.  If you have a hernia get it fixed.

I've never had any issues and I just don't fucking care that much.  If it becomes a hernia I'll get it fixed. Otherwise I'm not going to stop my life.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At 33 I'd look into getting it fixed

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
get that shit fixed!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, similiar situation here. I will be 33 next month, height is 5'11 and weight is 190lbs., I discovered a few months ago that I had a hernia and Im getting it fixed January 9th. During the exam, the doctor noted I had one large on the right side and one small on the left side, both of which will be repaired as well as a 0.5" diameter lypoma removed on my side.

I thought I had cancer or something orginially and put off going to the doctor for about a month. At such a young age, you really should get it fixed. I will let you know how mine goes as I was told I shouldnt lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for six weeks. My plan is to take a week off of work and just relax, work shouldnt be a problem because Im just a cubicle ranger.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]
When any of you guys do squats or deads do any of you feel the next day a small discomfort in your nuts? Once in a while after I squat or dead I get a slight tingle in the groin. I always assume it's from lifting, but never thought it could be a hernia. I don't have any lumps or anything. Maybe I should go to the doctor after Thanksgivng?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Get that checked...before obamacare and they just cut it off
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When any of you guys do squats or deads do any of you feel the next day a small discomfort in your nuts? Once in a while after I squat or dead I get a slight tingle in the groin. I always assume it's from lifting, but never thought it could be a hernia. I don't have any lumps or anything. Maybe I should go to the doctor after Thanksgivng?

As of late I have been getting the same thing, although it usually starts the same day.  I can't feel anything by palping, but plan on getting checked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top