Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 12:37:33 PM EDT
Thought I’d share this with you guys. Some of you may have learned or already know of something similar. This is basically an addition to Situation Awareness that derived from Colonel Cooper's color codes which can be roughly summarized as follows:
Condition White: Unaware
Condition Yellow: Aware, looking for a threat
Condition Orange: Prepared, having sensed a possible threat
Condition Red: The fight is on

When I taught Shaolin Kempo, a lot of my students wanted to know how to get out of certain holds. Like, full nelson, head lock, and other goofy holds. My answer is, “how did you get in that hold to begin with” You wouldn’t start a fight that way. A fight is a series of progression. I was then asked, “what if he snuck up on you”. To which I would answer, “ Why would you let someone sneak up on you”. I would then explain the color codes, then move on to the defensive zone.

So how does the defensive zone work? Well it works much like your own personal defensive zone for your place of residence. You have;
Lighting
Locks
Maybe an alarm
Next, maybe a dog
Finally a firearm

At condition Orange and Condition Red, you already know something is going to happen. The threat could presumably be right in front of you. Be it multiple attackers or one. So the defensive zones goes as follows:

[b]Verbal Zone:[/b] This is during the beginning of the confrontation. You are beyond reach of the attacker. You can then verbally avoid the situation depending on the attackers posture. A less than aggressive posture you may say, “I don’t want any trouble”. A more aggressive posture may require something like, “Stay away I have a gun”
You get the idea.

[b]Evasive Zone:[/b] This is when the attacker have advanced forward, however you can still side step him. Move to get a better angle. Or you could advance to an opening for an exit and end the confrontation. Verbal warnings continue. If you are carrying and the intent of the attacker is sure, you may want to draw.

[b]Touch Zone:[/b] This is the zone within punching or grabbing distance of your attacker. You can evade, however more than likely, some kind of physical force is necessary.

[b]No Return Zone:[/b] This guy is right up on you. He has made contact. No evasion. Decisive physical force is necessary to get away. This is the situation that will lead into headlocks, pinning, grappling and such. Notice I said “leads to” You can still avoid this by knowing how(as in training).

There are occasions when the Verbal, and Evasive zones are skipped during confrontations. Just be aware where you are in these zones and respond accordingly.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
LT ,my friend,does this apply to the wimminz too?[;)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on wether or not the womenz attacking you is attractive or not. There is lies the problem grasshopper.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Problem solved - Shoot them in the "Verbal Zone".

By the way, how many points down is the "Verbal Zone".  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Yes officer. I fired a warning shot.....It hit him."
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

"Yes officer. I fired a warning shot.....It hit him."
View Quote

[:D] LMFAO  [:D]

[KILL]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top