Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 5:51:27 AM EDT
Folks,

I have been given the opportunity to join an LRS detachment here in Indiana - and I don't want to show up and make a fool of myself.  (I'm prior service 11B, age 31) and I haven't done regular PT in several years.  This unit is not for the weak non-hacker type, so I need to get ready as quickly as possible.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to build my running speed and endurance?

Thanks!
QS
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea, try running LOTS.

Seriously the best sugestion I can make is not to work youself to exaustion a few times a week but rather try to exersise in moderate amounts as often as posible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL...

[Jules Winnfield] Check out the big brain on RangemasterD!  Run a lot, you a smart muthafucka, that's right![/Jules Winnfield]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
"try running LOTS" [b]is[/b] the obvious answer. [i]How[/i] you run is probably more important. I would recommend alternating between doing distance training and speed training and, if you're feeling particularly masochistic, doing wind sprints to punish yourself on both speed and endurance.

Don't time yourself on every run. It'll drive you crazy -- kind of like a dieter checking their weight every day. Depending upon how much time you have, you can work on alternating days on the different types of training. Then, once a week or so, run the 2-mile test (I'm assuming the APFT still uses a 2-mile run; that's what it was the last time I did it). Time [b]that[/b].

One major (and probably obvious) caveat -- don't hurt yourself. Build up as slowly as your schedule allows. If you're injured, you're not going to pass any tests.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a better plan than just going out and running to exhaustion every day, I think.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to reach a point where PT 2-3 days a week is enough to maintain what I need in order to do the job.  Is that unrealistic?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Not only is that not unrealistic, it's probably close to ideal. To build strength, speed, and endurance, your body needs not only exercise but also rest. For a short term, crash course in building up, you might be able to "shock" your body into responding by hitting it more often but as an approach to long term maintenance, extreme workouts everyday are not a great idea. SO your every other day plan would work fine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]

I prefer running fast, but relatively short distances for Armt PT test preperation.  I get on a track and have my girlfriend time my laps.  I try and run about 1:45 per lap.  I only run 1.5-2.5 miles though(6-10 laps)

You'll only have to run 1 mile soon anyway, as the PT test is due to change.  And a shuttle run will be added as well, so work on your sprints.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I prefer running fast, but relatively short distances for Armt PT test preperation.  I get on a track and have my girlfriend time my laps.  I try and run about 1:45 per lap.  I only run 1.5-2.5 miles though(6-10 laps)

[b]You'll only have to run 1 mile soon anyway, as the PT test is due to change.  And a shuttle run will be added as well, so work on your sprints.[/b]
View Quote

At the U.S. Army Physical Fitness School website [url]http://www-benning.army.mil/usapfs/WhatsHot/Index.htm[/url] was this statement:

[i]"The Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) consisting of the push-up, sit-up, and 2-mile run remains the Army's current standard for physical fitness testing. [b][i]Disregard any PowerPoint presentations or e-mail messages concerning a new test, as these are [u]NOT[/u] official."[/b][/i]

I too saw the Powerpoint slides showing this proposed APFT.  I also remember the message above coming out not long afterwards.

Do you have some type of updated information on this, other than a new PT FM eventually coming out?

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top