Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 769
Posted: 10/2/2011 8:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148]
I need a new routine and am thinking about starting 531. Several posters down here seem to think favorably of it. It being low volume I like but it looks like painfully slow progression.

What's the straight story on it?  

I'm also open to any other strength training routines that we want to discus.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Pretty decent back workout last night

Deadlifts
135x10
225x10
315x­10
365x15
365x11
365x9

Pullup­s
5x5 going slow

Pulldowns
5 sets of max reps with 120lbs
View Quote

Brutal on the deads.

I also like suffering.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#2]
Attachment Attached File

Broke ass thread.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

So broken.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Brutal on the deads.

I also like suffering.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173565/IMG_20230315_191300_330_jpg-2747797.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Deadlifts
135x10
225x10
315x­10
365x15
365x11
365x9

Pullup­s
5x5 going slow

Pulldowns

Brutal on the deads.

I also like suffering.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173565/IMG_20230315_191300_330_jpg-2747797.JPG

That bridge sucks. Especially if the wind is blowing in your face.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What a bitch it was to get the old bar down from the rafters. The cap barbell weighed in at 33.6lbs. The rogue weighed in at 45 as to be expected. I have to drop 11lbs from all my lifts . Little wonder it's been a bit harder this week.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
What a bitch it was to get the old bar down from the rafters. The cap barbell weighed in at 33.6lbs. The rogue weighed in at 45 as to be expected. I have to drop 11lbs from all my lifts . Little wonder it's been a bit harder this week.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Brutal on the deads.

View All Quotes

Deadlifts
135x10
225x10
315x­10
365x15
365x11
365x9

Pullup­s
5x5 going slow

Pulldowns

Brutal on the deads.

Good run. I feel slow. All the hills around here sucks. I'm usually happy with 11 minute splits.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm so depressed right now. I weighed all the plates since I have the scale out here and they're all pretty close. 45s were 44.6, 35s were 35.2, 25s were 24.8, 10s were 9.8, 5s were 4.8 and 2.5s were 2.4. I'm impressed that they're all that close and more importantly all the pairs weigh exactly the same.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing like an additional 11lbs jump part way through a training cycle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I told my dad about how much that barbell weighed and his response was " I guess you can't believe the Chinese". That barbell was part of a 300lbs set.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#11]
I told my dad about how much that barbell weighed and his response was " I guess you can't believe the Chinese". That barbell was part of a 300lbs set.
View Quote

Was it this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFZFJDSH?tag=arfcom00-20

I had the same one.

It was a piece of shit.

The sleeves broke...like actually broke, with a deadlift in the upper 200's. It couldn't even support the weight it came with.

I'm glad I owned it though, because getting that 300 lb set for cheap is what got me started with weight training. I never would have gotten into it without a homemade squat rack and cheap weights. Now one of my barbells costs more than what I paid for the whole original set.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Was it this one?

I had the same one.

It was a piece of shit.

The sleeves broke...like actually broke, with a deadlift in the upper 200's. It couldn't even support the weight it came with.

I'm glad I owned it though, because getting that 300 lb set for cheap is what got me started with weight training. I never would have gotten into it without a homemade squat rack and cheap weights. Now one of my barbells costs more than what I paid for the whole original set.
View Quote

That's the one. I can't remember what store he got it from but I remember I was with him when he bought it and had to help load and unload the truck. That was back in the late 90s. I had that bar up into the mid 300s before I bent it and the screw for the sleeve started to back out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

That bridge sucks. Especially if the wind is blowing in your face.
View Quote

You mean it's extra awesome if it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Good run. I feel slow. All the hills around here sucks. I'm usually happy with 11 minute splits.
View Quote

Thanks. I was going slow too, because I wasn't sure how fast to run. I hadn't run that far in a while.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]
OUTRAGEOUS DEADLIFT PR! 930 LBS x 3 AT 275 LBS BODY WEIGHT!
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That dude is a fucking monster.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I wouldn't even be able to get the bar loaded without getting tired.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]
My old ass needed a day off to recover.  So I ate and took a nap then worked on a car project in the garage before eating again.

Breakfast 7 whole eggs, bacon, toast with strawberry jam, protein shake with milk, protein powder and oatmeal in the blender...

Lunch Meatloaf, green beans, and a glass of orange juice...

Mid afternoon snack Cinnamon roll french toast made with a can of premade cinnamon roll dough broken into bits with 7 scrambled eggs poured over them...

Dinner Beef enchiladas, green beans, and a glass of grape/cranberry juice...

It's been a good day.  Tomorrow I will squat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Very nice. I'm almost at 405 for 1. I did 400 this week.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, the state of health of the general population is getting worse by the year.

Our school has roller skating parties usually twice a year, a guy with a trailer full of roller skates and a sound system shows up and for 5 bucks you can skate around the large gym for 2 hours.

My youngest loves it, so we go and skate. Me and one other adult last night skated with the kids, a few parents just walk around with the kids, but most sit on the bleachers and get fatter.

What kills me though, is guys my age going "Man, you're brave strapping the skates on"....like I'm entering the X-games or something. We are literally skating in a circle guys, it's easier than walking in a circle. I guess to a lot of them though, going down on a set of skates might be the end of them.

Dan John stresses the important of just rolling around as you get older, practicing going from standing to falling and recovering. I wipe out at work all the time, but I should probably start tumbling more.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, the state of health of the general population is getting worse by the year.

Our school has roller skating parties usually twice a year, a guy with a trailer full of roller skates and a sound system shows up and for 5 bucks you can skate around the large gym for 2 hours.

My youngest loves it, so we go and skate. Me and one other adult last night skated with the kids, a few parents just walk around with the kids, but most sit on the bleachers and get fatter.

What kills me though, is guys my age going "Man, you're brave strapping the skates on"....like I'm entering the X-games or something. We are literally skating in a circle guys, it's easier than walking in a circle. I guess to a lot of them though, going down on a set of skates might be the end of them.

Dan John stresses the important of just rolling around as you get older, practicing going from standing to falling and recovering. I wipe out at work all the time, but I should probably start tumbling more.
View Quote

I was born in 79 and I’ve never roller skated before.

Don’t judge me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Don’t judge me.
View All Quotes

Don’t judge me.

If you've ice skated or gone skiing....it's easy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Don’t judge me.
View Quote

So young, doesn't even know about speed skates.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Don’t judge me.

I was of the roller blade generation.

My parents live at the top of a huge hill about a 2 miles long.

I used to fly down it on my bike, and one day I thought roller blading down it would be a good idea. I started to panic around the halfway point and decided diving into the ditch was the best strategy....so that hurt. I walked my ass the rest of the way down.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Teach the kids too

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

You'll probably bounce back quick.

I know I did. I'm like 2 months in to squatting after 8 months off and only 4 leg workouts last year.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Those look like a great way to hurt myself. I'll give them a try when I get out of work.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#29]

You'll probably bounce back quick.

I know I did. I'm like 2 months in to squatting after 8 months off and only 4 leg workouts last year.
View Quote

Not with all the running I'm doing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Just failed the overhead press 1+ at 150lbs. Looks like I'm dropping it again next cycle. I even tried a push press on the second attempt, no go.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Having something in my right shoulder go crunch on the 1+ set of ohp last cycle in addition to the heavier bar is probably why I've missed 2 weeks in a row.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Got 353lbs for 1 on deadlift, second rep almost made it to my knees. Pretty disappointing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Domnior] [#33]

View All Quotes

Don’t judge me.

I'm a child of the 90s but never really got to go skating. Now I look like a mental patient on rollers or ice skating. Of course my daughter loves it so she drags me out a lot
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Got 353lbs for 1 on deadlift, second rep almost made it to my knees. Pretty disappointing.
View Quote

It's that new bar man. Send it to me and I'll make sure it stops doing that to you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#35]

It's that new bar man. Send it to me and I'll make sure it stops doing that to you.
View Quote

I'll get right on that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

What bar did you get again?  Is it really stiff?

I cheat by having a Roque deadlift bard and bad form.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:07:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Domnior:

I'm a child of the 90s but never really got to go skating. Now I look like a mental patient on rollers or ice skating. Of course my daughter loves it so she drags me out a lot
View Quote

You have to learn the reverse skate.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MAbowhunter] [#38]

What bar did you get again?  Is it really stiff?

I cheat by having a Roque deadlift bard and bad form.
View Quote

Rogue Ohio power bar. I had a lot of pressure in my head after the lift and had a headache most of the day. It went fine the first rep and the second rep was going well until I hit right below my knees. I was looking to get three and thought I had it right up until I didn't.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Rogue Ohio power bar. I had a lot of pressure in my head after the lift and had a headache most of the day. It went fine the first rep and the second rep was going well until I hit right below my knees. I was looking to get three and thought I had it right up until I didn't.
View Quote

That bars not good for deads. It doesn't have any whip.

Attachment Attached File

You want to have some whip on the bar to help get the load moving. I imagine your old cheap bar bent link crazy with that much on it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#40]
The bar I have.

Attachment Attached File

Aggressive knerl is an understatement.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to have to make do with the stiff bar, I can't afford another bar just for deadlifting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Was it this one?

I had the same one.

It was a piece of shit.

View All Quotes

Was it this one?

I had the same one.

It was a piece of shit.

Lol. Same. The CAP 300lbs package was my first Olympic barbell and plate purchase over 2 decades ago.

Crazy thing is, the 45lb plates that came with the set are actually the best of the ones I have. They both weigh exactly 45.2 lbs. The ones from Rogue and Rep are lighter, and off by 0.6 to 2lbs (I weighed them all to pair them up).
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:16:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#43]

View Quote

A LOT of people get hurt from falls on level ground every day. The idea of strapping wheels to their feet SHOULD scare the crap out of them, especially when they have a whole lot of excess tonnage, and no appreciable athleticism.

Breakfall practice/training in Martial Arts has by far saved me the most often out of everything I've learned.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

A LOT of people get hurt from falls on level ground every day. The idea of strapping wheels to their feet SHOULD scare the crap out of them, especially when they have a whole lot of excess tonnage, and no appreciable athleticism.

Breakfall practice/training in Martial Arts has by far saved me the most often out of everything I've learned.
View Quote

I hadn't practiced a breakfall in probably 17 years and on my second day on crutches, I fell and did a breakfall while somehow not hitting anything else in the room besides the floor. It's the sort of thing everyone should learn.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm going to have to make do with the stiff bar, I can't afford another bar just for deadlifting.
View Quote

I have the normal Ohio Bar. It has good whip too. Just not crazy like the deadlift bar.  I'm not really a fan of strait up power bars just too stiff.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Just need to be good at falling. Snowboarding is a great way to learn that.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#47]
The bar I have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173565/Screenshot_20230321_192718_Samsung_Inter-2754656.JPG

View Quote

Do you use that exclusively for deads or is it good enough for bench/squat/etc too?

I badly need a better bar but I'll only be able to swing one so I need something that can be a jack of all trades.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#48]

I hadn't practiced a breakfall in probably 17 years and on my second day on crutches, I fell and did a breakfall while somehow not hitting anything else in the room besides the floor. It's the sort of thing everyone should learn.
View All Quotes

Once you've trained it into muscle memory, it's instinctive,and something that will help (even more) through old age.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:44:21 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

We joked that learning to snowboard can be a PITA (when you catch that back edge, lol), but I know a few folks with no breakfall practice who had concussions because they didn't tuck their chin, and bounced their melon off the hardpack.

Breakfalls and rolling were already instinctive when I began boarding, to the point where I caught a back edge one time while still new, immediately tucked and rolled into a flip, right back to my feet, and continued boarding down the slope.

My buddy said, "Did you just do that instinctively, when you caught an edge? Cuz it was so smooth, it looked like you did it on purpose, to show off"
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Do you use that exclusively for deads or is it good enough for bench/squat/etc too?

I badly need a better bar but I'll only be able to swing one so I need something that can be a jack of all trades.
View All Quotes
The bar I have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173565/Screenshot_20230321_192718_Samsung_Inter-2754656.JPG

I only recently (as in within the last 6 months) got a Texas PR Deadlift bar. Prior to that, I was just using the stainless steel Rogue Ohio Power Bar for everything.

My personal take:
If I could only get 1 bar for a do-all (that DOESN'T include Oly lifts like Clean and Jerk, or Snatch), I'd stick with my Ohio Power bar. It's a great do-all for all the basic lifts. I don't like whip/flex for bench or squat. Rows, I could go either way.

The advantage of the increased whip/flex of a dedicated deadlift bar, is....ego/numbers. lol.

It basically makes deadlifts a progressive lift. As anyone who's been doing deadlifts regularly, knows; the higher up you start, the more weight you can handle. Basically the more flexible bar means you're not lifting the entire weight right from the bottom. The load increases progressively as you pull, and the bar flexes while the plates on the end are still on the ground. How many inches of 'gain' you benefit from, depends on how much weight is on the bar.

Watch the monsters deadlift in slow-mo, and pay attention to how upright they are, and how far up their hands have moved from the starting position, before the last plate leaves the ground. It's why they're used for PRs and competitions. It allows the user to pull weights that they couldn't with a bar with much less flex.

If the goal is simply to increase strength, you can do that with something like the Rogue Ohio Power bar. But you won't be able to deadlift as heavy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top