Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 3:29:14 PM EDT
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I will give it a whirl.

Basically I have a broken radiator. If it is over ~80* and I physically exert myself outside, I easily overheat. The overheating leads to my body completley shutting down, not being able to move, muscles cramping, and the worst times, a migrane. My question is this a motivation thing, or is there something physically wrong with my body?

I am planning on joining either the Army or the Marines when I graduate (College) in the spring and really want to get this figured out before then. Right now I live in a relatively cool climate in Colorado, meaning no humidity. I am worried when i go to basic in a much more humid climate I will not be able to perform. Also it would not be good to be in A-stan and overheat and have my body shutdown on me.

Lastly, I am in fairly decent shape: 6' 180-185 lbs, and score around a 220 on the APFT. I would really like to get this up, but I need to figure out why my body gets overheated so easy. I can complete the PFT in 90*+ heat, but afterwards all I can do is sit in front of a fan and chug water, and that will not be something I could do in the .mil.

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Hydrate BEFORE your workout
Most of us are running dehydrated to start with and they try to fix the issue after the workout
Drink till you have to pass water then drink more then do your work out, you will sweat it out and this is how your body cools it self
IF YOU AREN'T SWEATING YOUR DEHYDRATED
I swim 1/2 mile in the pool regularly and come out sweating, if I don't drink a lot of fluid before hand I can't finish the laps

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hydrate BEFORE your workout
Most of us are running dehydrated to start with and they try to fix the issue after the workout
Drink till you have to pass water then drink more then do your work out, you will sweat it out and this is how your body cools it self
IF YOU AREN'T SWEATING YOUR DEHYDRATED
I swim 1/2 mile in the pool regularly and come out sweating, if I don't drink a lot of fluid before hand I can't finish the laps

Hope this helps

Falcon, I appreciate the reply. Howeverr I only drink water and average 4-6 32oz nalgene bottles everyday, which is 1-1.5 gallons per day. Everything I have read indicates this should be more than sufficient. Do you agree?

I definitley sweat a lot when I work out, and pee often all day.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it is over ~80* and I physically exert myself outside, I easily overheat. The overheating leads to my body completley shutting down, not being able to move, muscles cramping, and the worst times, a migrane. My question is this a motivation thing, or is there something physically wrong with my body?

Go see a doctor.  Either you have a medical issue or you need to HTFU.  80 degrees F shouldn't shut anyone otherwise healthy down.

ETA - drink to thirst.  Don't force down water.  Humans are pretty much designed to run slightly dehydrated and our thirst mechanism will take care of us.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What's your salt/electrolyte intake like?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's your salt/electrolyte intake like?

I'm not sure how I would calculate this? I eat a lot of nuts and seeds that are salted. I dont drink anything like gatorade regularly so I'm not sure if I have any electrolyte intake. Is that what your asking?

To H46Driver:
What is HTFU?

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL, NVM, I looked HTFU on google. I have always thought of myself as not giving in to physical pressure.

This problem has only surfaced itself in the last ~2 years, Im 22 and have been physically active my entire life. However if push comes to shove, I think I can overcome it and do what I need to do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL, NVM, I looked HTFU on google. I have always thought of myself as not giving in to physical pressure.

This problem has only surfaced itself in the last ~2 years, Im 22 and have been physically active my entire life. However if push comes to shove, I think I can overcome it and do what I need to do.

I don't doubt you and if you mentioned that it was temps in the mid to high 90s, I'd think acclimatizing could help, but 80 isn't that hot.  Temps in the 80s will probably degrade endurance performance compared to lower temps - about 75% of the energy the body uses at moderate intensity and higher is waste heat - but temps in the 80s should not cause you to "shut down".
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys. I think for now I'm going to try and go for long runs and workout outside, especially when it is hot. If nothing else maybe I can condition my body to deal with it, or get used to pushing through the heat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Uhm...  I'd really recommend talking to your doc.

And learn the symptoms of heat injury so you can watch for them.  Heat injury is nothing to screw with - it can and does kill people.

Not everyone deals with heat the same, and you can have issues that become apparent at temps low enough that most people would look at you like .  Your body can change as you age, as well.

I'm one of those people who now have serious issues dealing with heat when the humidity is up.  Below 30% humidity and I'm fine.  I get lots of from neighbors when they see me outside mowing in the late afternoon with 104 degrees and 28% humidity instead of the morning with 80 degrees and 85% humidity.  Below 15% humidity and I can run around the desert SW mid-summer afternoon and I'm fine as long as I stay properly hydrated.  Here in central Texas, even properly hydrated I have to be very careful most of the time due to the humidity levels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top