Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/8/2021 3:18:33 PM EDT
I have had the opposite problem of most Americans, I can't gain weight easily.

I am mid 30s, over 6' and hover just around 200 lbs. BF % ranges from 8 to 11%. The lowest BF I have ever been was between 7 and 8%.

I was about 170 lbs in 2009, and in the 10 ish years since then, I have put on a lot of muscle mass.

But, my arms are skinny, and no matter what exercises I do, even though I gain strength, I cannot put on visible toned muscle mass past this point.

Is this something that I should just accept and continue to maintain and even gain where I can?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to your gene pool.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
eat

then eat some more

and when you can't stand to eat anymore

eat some more
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Guessing when you say over 6’ you mean barely over.

At 6’ and 200lbs at 10% body fat you should be heavily muscled and very lean.

I would have to guess your bf% is quite a bit higher than you think.

I’d be curious to see your pic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

6'5"
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Just keep getting stronger. You’d be hard pressed to find a skinny guy who squats over 5 plates.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
eat

then eat some more

and when you can't stand to eat anymore

eat some more
View Quote

I do, and I eat a lot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Welcome to your gene pool.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just keep getting stronger. You’d be hard pressed to find a skinny guy who squats over 5 plates.
View Quote

That is something my brother has an advantage of. He can get big, quick.

He squats quite a bit.

But if he doesn't watch what he eats, he gets a fairly big belly.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This right here you want skinny I'm right @ 6' and weight like 165 at 33 yrs old. Could never put on weight even through all the sports and working out. also wasn't gonna consume 3-4K calories a day to put on weight never meant that much to me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#10]
200-400mg a week of Test Cypionate.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait, testosterone shots?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your doctor will write you a prescription. They give them out like candy nowadays.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never been able to put on much arm size either,  legs and chest grow OKish but even at my strongest my arms didn't make it look like I lifted.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Screw all the magic potions. Don't worry about it, and instead enjoy the gift you've been given.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Go on a diet and Start drinking Diet Coke everyone I know who does both is large and in charge.

Serious answer - if you want to put on muscle you need protein, sleep, and resistance exercise. You have to avoid stress and poor sleep more than anything.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
No matter what you think, you are not eating enough.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#17]
You'll be considered overweight if you gain much more body mass. You're perfect where you are.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You'll be considered overweight if you gain much more body mass. You're perfect where you are.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#19]
What’s your testosterone level look like and what’s your workout routine look like? Doing 4 sets of 3-5 reps is going to send you in a way different direction than going for hypertrophy with 4-5 sets of 8-12 reps.

In general, maybe you need to up your total volume and train for hypertrophy, not pure strength.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't hardly get trt in my state.  I have a place that does it online if you need it,  pm me. My regular dr here decided recently that trt was killing me and wanting a permission slip from my trt dr. My trt dr said what they were asking me to do with my hormones was idiotic and declined to write the note so I'm looking for a new dr.

I have legit low t. 305 and extreme symptoms.

It changed my life.

Test,  deca, growth. You can get it all online.  Assuming you have legit need.

And if you're not growing,  you're not eating enough.  Every skinny guy eats a "big" meal,  wipes the sweat off of his brow and sighs deeply.  While his jacked buddy does the mental math and laughs inside that the big meal was 700 calories and part of 2000 calories daily. And at 6'5, you're not going to have big arms most likely.  Just math and scale.

I haven't met a "hard gainer" yet that ate enough food to bulk.  They naturally just don't have a big appetite. Ive met naturally lean guys that can eat.  They grow and grow and grow.

My best friend is a hard gainer. His diet for bulk is cleaner and leaner than my cutting diet. Needless to say he looks like a woman.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am mid 30s, over 6' and hover just around 200 lbs. BF % ranges from 8 to 11%. The lowest BF I have ever been was between 7 and 8%.

I was about 170 lbs in 2009, and in the 10 ish years since then, I have put on a lot of muscle mass.

But, my arms are skinny, and no matter what exercises I do, even though I gain strength, I cannot put on visible toned muscle mass past this point.

Is this something that I should just accept and continue to maintain and even gain where I can?
View Quote

Low test
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Stay light, you'll live longer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

We don't care much for the BMI scale here in SD&F lol
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Start weighing your food. You are not eating as much as you think you are.

Eat 3000 weighed calories per day. If you don't gain weight go to 3,500 weighed calories. If you don't gain weight go to 4,000 calories etc. Eventually you will be consuming enough calories to gain weight.

If you want to put on size follow a hypertrophy focused routine while eating more.

I won't speculate as to whether or not you have low test, but you can still gain weight with low test, it will just bias toward more fat gain than a high test individual if you eat enough calories.

99.9% of "hard gainers" don't eat as much as they think they do. If they did they would gain weight.

Either way at your age it would be a good idea to get your test checked. If it's good and you feel good, you have a good baseline to compare to in the future. If it's low, you can talk to your doctor about what to do from there.

If you are low, do some research into smart, effective treatment protocols. Doctors are all over the place on this. Some are afraid to do anything that will actually help, while others will want to do something like one 200mg test cyp shot every 2 weeks, which will yoyo your levels and you'll feel like crap most of the time.

Most guys need 100-200mg per week, injected weekly or twice per week. Depending on what your blood work looks like there may be other things added to the protocol. This gets their levels to high-normal, and they start losing fat and putting on muscle*

*Assuming things like diet, training, and recovery are in good shape. You can be on all the test you want and if you diet, train, and sleep like shit, you will still look and feel like shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
You are fatter than you think.
If you're not toned (vascular arms and visable abs) you are much highed than 8%

You may be 20-25% or so. Get calipers or get in a tank if you want to be really sure. The electronic scales that give BF% are way off.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You are fatter than you think.
If you're not toned (vascular arms and visable abs) you are much highed than 8%

You may be 20-25% or so. Get calipers or get in a tank if you want to be really sure. The electronic scales that give BF% are way off.

View Quote

I have visible ab muscles. Last time I had the BF checked was with calibers.

I might talk with the doctor about getting tested. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exercise isn't what puts muscles on your arms, protein is.  As others have said, you're not taking in enough nutrients for your body to build itself.  Also, "toned muscle mass"?  If you want to gain weight you need to throw that word "toned" in the trash for a while.  You have to have a caloric surplus.  That means you're probably going to gain some fat along with muscle.  Either learn to deal with that or get used to having skinny arms.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#29]
How many calories per day are you eating?  What is your estimated TDEE?

If you aren't putting on weight you aren't eating enough.

As far as arms go my biceps wouldn't respond until I started doing weighted chinups.  Once I got up to doing sets of chinups with 60lbs hanging from my belt they started to grow.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

What exercises are you doing?  Be specific with reps, sets, frequency, etc.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's your funeral.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's your funeral.

I mean BMI is fine for the general population, but it's all but meaningless for people who lift regularly. My BMI says I'm obese, which is absurd.

It's totally okay for people to want to put on some muscle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How many calories per day are you eating?  What is your estimated TDEE?

If you aren't putting on weight you aren't eating enough.

As far as arms go my biceps wouldn't respond until I started doing weighted chinups.  Once I got up to doing sets of chinups with 60lbs hanging from my belt they started to grow.
View Quote

Using a TDEE calculator, I came up with this;

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=male&age=36&lbs=195&in=77&act=1.55&bf=10&f=1

I don't keep track of my calories. I just eat when I am hungry, and I eat a lot.

I'll start throwing in weighted chinups, maybe that'll help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For arms?

Bicep curls, rows, pull downs;  2 sets with 1 minute break in between of doing 8 - 10 reps. 1 - 2 times a week.

I also do an exercise of my forearms where I curl a bench press bar in a forward motion and a reverse motion with weights on it. Its a time exercise at 10 - 15 seconds a set, for 2 sets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

For arms?

Bicep curls, rows, pull downs;  2 sets with 1 minute break in between of doing 8 - 10 reps. 1 - 2 times a week.

I also do an exercise of my forearms where I curl a bench press bar in a forward motion and a reverse motion with weights on it. Its a time exercise at 10 - 15 seconds a set, for 2 sets.
View Quote

Using the same weight every time?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Runs in my family, but I don't have it.

My oldest son is 6'4" tall and was working out like crazy.  Eating tons of protein, buying that protein shake stuff and drinking it all the time, weight 185 lbs. and could not put on weight.  He stopped working out and he's up to around 200 lbs. now.

My younger brother was about 5'10" tall.  He was so skinny that when he was taking scuba diving lessons he didn't have to buy weights.  First night at the pool the instructor got on to him for not having weights on his belt.  He told her he didn't need them.  She told him if he didn't have weights he couldn't sink to the bottom.  He told her he didn't need weights, she disagreed.  He turned, dropped into the water, sank to the bottom, when his feet touched bottom he sat down on his ass.  When his ass hit the bottom of the pool he rolled over on his side, put his elbow on the bottom of the pool and laid his head on his hand and looked up at her.  She motioned him out of the pool and didn't mention weights again.

No idea what his index was, he couldn't float.

I think a kid could sit on my stomach and I could still lay on my back and float.  Working to change that though.  At 63 and 290 lbs., sooner or later I might get high blood pressure problems.  The doctor can't believe I don't already, but that's genetics, too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For arms?

If I do a burn out as a 3rd set, I reduce it to 1/3 of my max and go 18 to 24 reps.

Edit: I might increase my intial set by 5 lbs if the 8 reps gets too easy.  But I have hit a wall with that.

I max out the 3 ab machines, at 12 reps for 2 sets with a 3rd set burn out at 1/2 my max for 24 to 36 reps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I hear ya.  Even with test and eating 3500+ calories per day - genetics is just against me.  Small bones, runners build.  

I can be fat and 170 pounds or fit and 180.

Eat heavy, lift heavy, get strong... still 5'11" 180 pounds and 10% bodyfat.  

I look muscular and toned but I'm not what you call big.

In order to make size gains, I have to dirty bulk, force myself to eat 4k, get chubby and MAYBE gain 2-5 pounds of muscle and 8 pounds of fat that I have to cut and hope to keep the muscle.  

It's a long process for minimal gains.

Probably need advanced pharma like Deca and a trainer including a meal planner to really get bigger.

But my lifts keep getting better so I'm just gonna keep trucking.

I lift for vanity muscles and so I can wear a plate carrier all day anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#38]
The Replacements - Meet Nigel Gruff
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For arms?

View Quote

No, all of them.  Squats, deadlifts, bench etc. No pullups?

How many times/week lifting. How long per session?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Look at other men your age, and older, and be thankful.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, all of them.  Squats, deadlifts, etc. No pullups?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For arms?

I don't do dead lifts or squats.  I did the 5x5 plan years ago, and didn't find it that worthwhile.

I actually don't do pull ups or chin ups, when I should.  

For core strength (the gym has 3 machines for them), I do it every day I work out. (3 -5 times a week) Like I said above though, I have maxed out the weights on it.

I combine tris and chest, and back and bis.

Tris / Chest, they have a chest press machine, a 'push down' for tris, a fly machine combined with a rear delt machine, and I mix in a tri exercise with a smith machine.

Then legs. Leg press, 2 different types of push up vs pull down, and a double machine that works out the inner thigh and glutes.

Plus, a separate machine for the calfs.

I do the above areas every 3 days, so sometimes one area gets hit twice in one week.  Then I mix in cardio 2 - 3 days.

All in all, about 45 minutes to an hour.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't do dead lifts or squats.  I did the 5x5 plan years ago, and didn't find it that worthwhile.

For core strength (the gym has 3 machines for them), I do it every day I work out. (3 -5 times a week) Like I said above though, I have maxed out the weights on it.

Tris / Chest, they have a chest press machine, a 'push down' for tris, a fly machine combined with a rear delt machine, and I mix in a tri exercise with a smith machine.

Then legs. Leg press, 2 different types of push up vs pull down, and a double machine that works out the inner thigh and glutes.

I do the above areas every 3 days, so sometimes one area gets hit twice in one week.  Then I mix in cardio 2 - 3 days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For arms?

Big lifts like squats and deadlifts actually increase testosterone....which helps build muscle....

I can't understand why someone wouldn't squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even a genetically gifted guy taking PEDs wouldn't get big doing that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For arms?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For arms?

You're still a beginner.
You need to be doing 6 sets minimum if you want to see any progress (twice a week and preferably 3 times).
Stop playing around on machines and lift free weights.
Your results will be proportional to the effort you put in. No effort = No results
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in my 50s and spent most of my adult life as a triathete and cyclist.

If I want to put on muscle, I squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, bar row, and do pullups (switching grips every other workout) Maybe some dips, pulldowns, romanian deads, and incline press as accessory lifts.

Not going to get big using those machines as your primary exercises.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#46]
If you're not doing squats and deads you're not really strong. Do 5x5 and you'll see results, maybe not a ton in your arms but you will get stronger and more muscular overall.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Size is more governed by food than anything else.  Eating enough to get bigger sucks no matter who you are.  It's seriously awful.

Eat clean animal based protein, and add protein shakes as a supplement only.  Beef, chicken, pork, turkey - that's the lion's share.  Eat like that every day until your 4+ daily shits smell like meat.  Then you add a little more.  You will probably need a poop knife.  Google it.

I'm absolutely serious; I have problems gaining size and eating enough animal protein is the solution.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you're not doing squats and deads you're not really strong. Do 5x5 and you'll see results, maybe not a ton in your arms but you will get stronger and more muscular overall.
View Quote

I did the 5x5 and I wasn't impressed with the results after a month.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I think your definition of strong needs calibrated.

Get your deadlift into the 5’s and watch what happens to your arms.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I do, and I eat a lot.
View Quote

How many calories? There's math for this but off the top of my head, 6'5/ 200 pounds looking to gain. Try 3600-4000 calories/ day, at least 200g protein. HEAVY weights, small amount of reps.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Top Top