Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 11/14/2016 2:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GoatBoy]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:
Beta testers volunteered in the team forum and everyone was added to the group. We also open beta testing to Lifers and Mods for their input. We have been working through testing and bug fixes for a couple months now. (Also allowed us time to finish a few extra features and finalize some other sections of the site.)
View Quote

Dang it missed that thread. oh well.

Thanks Goatboy and everyone else who has put time into this.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.
First trump and now this.
My peen can only get so erect.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the search feature work well now?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SonofHater36] [#4]
When can we get an ARFCOM faces app for phones? Many a time have I found that a or would have been much more effective when texting someone than the garbage emojis we have now

And one thing: will the new arfcom support foreign characters like Cyrillic?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Cant wait to see it all arrive
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By uxo2:
Just like a new phone.

Looks cool, but no clue on how to use it.

So I'll just mash buttons till something happens.

View Quote

Lol. You just described me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know how much larger the avatar size is going to?  Yeah, I'm already looking at avatar improvements.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By -Apocalypto-:
Does anyone know how much larger the avatar size is going to?  Yeah, I'm already looking at avatar improvements.
View Quote

I would also like to know this.

Dimensions and file sizes would be much appreciated. I already cut out like 1500 of the old size, might as well start spitting them out at the new size, too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Not sure they settled on a size yet, but last I saw was x2 the current limit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By M4-AR:
Not sure they settled on a size yet, but last I saw was x2 the current limit.
View Quote

In pixels, or in kilobytes?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dphill] [#13]

Hold onto your butt!

New avatars will be set to 500x250, but will display at a smaller size. The reason for this is to have high resolution avatars for devices that continue to improve. (High resolution phones and tablets for example.) The avatars will no longer allow animations. (No more gifs! Booo, yes I know.) You will however have a nice interface to upload any file and crop it to fit within the space so it will be easier to get your avatar set for less savvy users. We are taking away the file size constraint as images will all end up in the same relative file size range, which will be larger than the current site, but not by much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Hold onto your butt!

New avatars will be set to 500x250, but will display at a smaller size. The reason for this is to have high resolution avatars for devices that continue to improve. (High resolution phones and tablets for example.) The avatars will no longer allow animations. (No more gifs! Booo, yes I know.) You will however have a nice interface to upload any file and crop it to fit within the space so it will be easier to get your avatar set for less savvy users. We are taking away the file size constraint as images will all end up in the same relative file size range, which will be larger than the current site, but not by much.

I knew there would be math
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#14]
New avatars will be set to 500x250, but will display at a smaller size.
View Quote

That aspect ratio will be better IMO. The 175x95 is awkward.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:

Whoohoo!  While the other stuff is going to be great, the number 1 reason for frustration here is the quirks of the editor.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
The new post editor is now a merged WYSIWYG editor and BBCode editor, so you can click a button to jump between the two to make sure it looks perfect.

Whoohoo!  While the other stuff is going to be great, the number 1 reason for frustration here is the quirks of the editor.

And please, for the love of God, introduce quote auto-trimming!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote

You will have the option of quoting all or quoting one
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

So there's going to be no quote limits? That's gonna get out of hand. Should just auto-trim it to the previous 2,3 or 5.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#19]
webm support?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:
Did the search function get an upgrade, too?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#22]
New Arfcom?

I wasn't aware that our old Arfcom was broken/worn/in need of replacing.... :P
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:32:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Michigan_Man] [#23]

Hold onto your butt!

View All Quotes

Hold onto your butt!

I was excited to re-up my team membership and choose a brand new flashy avatar until 'i read this.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Michigan_Man:

I was excited to re-up my team membership and choose a brand new flashy avatar until 'i read this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Michigan_Man:

Hold onto your butt!

Ok, this sucks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice!!  Thank you for your constant forward thinking with AR15.COM.  This site has been a pleasure to use and just gets better with time!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Best year ever
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I can tell I'm getting older.  I want everything else to upgrade and change and ARF to stay the same.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice. I must have missed the thread in team.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By davisac:

View All Quotes

While I do like submitting the images at a larger size than they display (I always make mine as big as I can without going over the 20K limit), I disagree on the aspect ratio. 500x250 (2:1) is even worse than the current aspect ratio. We're trading too much width and not enough height, for even more width and less height.
I have never liked the current aspect ratio but have been able to work withing those confines and make some decent avatars for members.

4:3 is the most popular ratio for a reason. Widescreen is 16:9 and would be a compromise if the images need to be wide and flat, because of the proliferation of good widescreen images. Widescreen will display in the current avatar size but are slightly distorted, whether or not it's noticeable depends on the pic.
512x288 would yeild a standard widescreen ratio.
We are talking about display size where a very few pixels can make an obvious difference.

I know it's probably too late to change. Just putting this out there . . .

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 4:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Apocalypto-] [#31]

Originally Posted By TerryC:
While I do like submitting the images at a larger size than they display (I always make mine as big as I can without going over the 20K limit), I disagree on the aspect ratio. 500x250 (2:1) is even worse than the current aspect ratio. We're trading too much width and not enough height, for even more width and less height.

I have never liked the current aspect ratio but have been able to work withing those confines and make some decent avatars for members.

4:3 is the most popular ratio for a reason. Widescreen is 16:9 and would be a compromise if the images need to be wide and flat, because of the proliferation of good widescreen images. Widescreen will display in the current avatar size but are slightly distorted, whether or not it's noticeable depends on the pic.

We are talking about display size where a very few pixels can make an obvious difference.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TerryC:

I've already made up a couple of new possible avatars for me at the 500 x 250 ratio, they look great but I have to wait and see how they look once they are loaded up on the new site before I decide which one I'll go with.

Edit:  It did take me a few tries to get it right, you have to make them wider than the old ones or they look distorted when you resize to 500 x 250.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm thinking when we go over to the new site, the program will resize everyone's avatar to the new aspect ratio...195 x 75 to the new 500 x 250 and then making a smaller version of it at the new ratio.  Will everyone's avatar then be distorted?  

This is my current avatar just resized to the new ratio.  Become distorted and out of focus.

This is a new one I made at the new ratio from an original I have.

I know the avatars will appear smaller on the new site than these examples, but I'm thinking everyone may have to upload new ones due to the old ones being slightly distorted under the new ratio.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I know the avatars will appear smaller on the new site than these examples, but I'm thinking everyone may have to upload new ones due to the old ones being slightly distorted under the new ratio.
View Quote

It'll be interesting because a good percentage of avatars are already too low res to make out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#34]
... brutha, this is tough on Conservatives. Please don't let us down
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Schweet!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Pepe the frog emojicon??
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Is this compatible with my AOL browser?
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
MAGA!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By MaxxII:

Thanks for not just being complacent at having the best firearms resource website in the world.

Seriously.

With everything going on, the urge to not mess with success must have been strong...glad y'all fought it and worked towards making a great board even better.
View Quote

Fuckkkk. I am old and had enough of change in 2008 and 2012 to last the rest of my short life. Ahhhhh fuck it I have changed a wife before so let's give it all a whirl

I hope this new site change goes much better than the wife change and the change ole jug ear brought us twice  

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Ah ha!   That's why DU has been down a week.

You stole their code for the upgrade!  Woo Hoo !!!!!!   90s ASCII web site FTW !!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Is this compatible with my AOL browser?
View Quote

No.  Only Netscape 2.0.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I just wanna know if I can tag a user, or otherwise label them without ignoring them.

You know, to keep track of the communist trolls and the shitbags and whatnot.  Can we please do that?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#43]
If I like my post count, do I get to keep it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By mean_sartin:
If I like my post count, do I get to keep it?
View Quote

Nein
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:06:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By timthemedic:
I just wanna know if I can tag a user, or otherwise label them without ignoring them.

You know, to keep track of the communist trolls and the shitbags and whatnot.  Can we please do that?
View Quote

I dunno about the site, but there is a script you can run, to accomplish what you want.  I can't remember who posted the one they made, but I bet Subnet can point you in the right direction.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Neat! I am a big fan of the attaching images feature. Trying to find an image host these days that isn't absolute dogshit has become nigh on impossible without wading through 1.6 million ads and crap. I for one, welcome our new board overlords.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Going_Commando:
Neat! I am a big fan of the attaching images feature. Trying to find an image host these days that isn't absolute dogshit has become nigh on impossible without wading through 1.6 million ads and crap. I for one, welcome our new board overlords.
View Quote

For me, that function alone makes it worth changing
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Upload images from a phone!

Excellent!
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Going_Commando:
View Quote

imgur is fantastic
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top