Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 6:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ]
The MantisX is a dry/live fire trainer which consists of a rail attachment containing gyroscopes which is linked to ar smartphone/tablet app.  It detects movement on your trigger press and provides a visual display on your press and suggestions on how to improve.   I received my MantisX today and tried dry firing it.  First I installed it on my SIRT Glock laser pistol, however it would not register any shots.  The MantisX website does say it does not work on SIRT pistols.  I think the trigger is either too soft or not loud enough to activate the MantisX.  I then tried it on a SIRT M&P laser pistol which has a sharper and louder trigger.  It does register about 50% of the shots.  I then tried it on a real Springfield XD pistol (my only pistol with a rail) which registers 95% of the shots.

My first few shot groups registered with a high 80's score.  The green squiggly line is the pre-trigger break, the yellow is during the break, and red is after the break.  The goal is to get the squiggly lines into a tight cluster for a higher score.  It only detects movement, so it does not detect an actual target for improving sight picture/alignment.  I focused on my trigger squeeze and grip more and I got my score into the mid 90's.  The gyroscopes do their job at detecting just the slightest movement, probably in the tenths of a millimeter.  The phone app does provide a picture and text suggestions on how to correct mistakes which is good for a beginning shooter.  It gives them a starting point to try and fix their mistakes on their own.  However I think it would be better if there was an integrated video instead, and it doesn't replace an actual coach.

The main benefit for me is that it encourages me to get better.  I want to keep using it to improve my score.  It also stores the data so I can see my improvement over time.  I also want to use it to improve my one handed shooting.  I'm going to try using it for live fire tomorrow and see how it works, and if it helps me improve my technique.  Another good thing about the MantisX is it forces shooters to focus on follow through.  I see a lot of shooters don't do follow through or are too impatient to do it.  This really emphasizes it.  I think this makes a good supplement to my SIRT/Laserapp trainer setup, but I'm a bit disappointed it doesn't work with the SIRT Glocks.

The MantisX is flexible as it can also be used with airsoft pistols along with rifles which I'll test later.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Have one on order, can't wait to give it a try!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
We've been enjoying using the MantisX, and analyzing our trigger pull.

So far, it's been a very useful tool.....and we've just scratched the surface of its capabilities!
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tried it at the NRA Convention.  Then bought one.

If you are serious about hitting every target every time, MantisX is a must have.

I am amazed at how quickly this device improved even an "Expert" marksman like myself.  I ramped up my basic dry-fire to near perfection (98-99%) in a week.  It's been helpful for live fire as well.  $150 seemed high, but the return was immediate and it was money well spent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Just ordered one. Can't wait to try it. I'll be using the mag floor plate attachment on my Glock 43x.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I was just asked about the MantisX today.  For those that posted years ago about it, could you post a follow-up to your original post(s) and tell us if it helped and whether you are still using it?

Are there any other users out there that could comment on their experience and thoughts on the MantisX?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I follow Active Self Protection on Facebook and there are many other subscribers that post their Mantis experiences.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flattop2004:
I follow Active Self Protection on Facebook and there are many other subscribers that post their Mantis experiences.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check it out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top