Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 9:43:43 PM EDT
Recently I purchased a S&W 629 in 44 mag.  After shooting it enough to become accustomed to the recoil and tightening my groups, I returned to shooting my Glock 17.  After 100 rounds of 9mm and a lot of frustration, my groupings with the G17 are now low left and about 5-6 inches in diameter at 7 yds.  I used to get 2-3 inch groups at the same distance.  Any thoughts on what I could do to help continuously improving with both?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you developed a flinch/anticipation shooting that .44.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 11:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured out years ago that for me personally, being a one trick pony allowed me to get to another level in my proficiency.  I owned a wide variety of handguns at that time and have since sold everything that didn't say Glock on the side unless is had sentimental value.  I enjoy shooting other pistols and will do so on rare occasion but I stick with Glocks almost exclusively.  (I carry a Glock for work, not because I shoot them best).

Others may have different experiences but for me, consistency is everything.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I figured out years ago that for me personally, being a one trick pony allowed me to get to another level in my proficiency.  I owned a wide variety of handguns at that time and have since sold everything that didn't say Glock on the side unless is had sentimental value.  I enjoy shooting other pistols and will do so on rare occasion but I stick with Glocks almost exclusively.  (I carry a Glock for work, not because I shoot them best).

View Quote

This is my experience as well.  Trying to get proficient on multiple platforms and calibers stunted my shooting growth so to speak.  I have since basically stuck to my three go to guns.  My G17, my FrakenAR, and my WInchester shotgun.  I have noticed that my shooting proficiency has progressed exponentially since I have stopped trying to be ok at multiple platforms/calibers and instead focusing on what I actually want to use.  

I still shoot my other guns occasionally but mostly for fun where as the three previously mentioned guns that get most of the work are shot for fun and for training and competition.  

As always YMMV
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree with the above posts. You should be able to pick up any handgun and maximize its potential within a few rounds. The technique for revolvers and semi autos is different but the fundamentals are the same. Line up the sights and press the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I disagree with the above posts. You should be able to pick up any handgun and maximize its potential within a few rounds. The technique for revolvers and semi autos is different but the fundamentals are the same. Line up the sights and press the trigger.
View Quote

There is a little more to it than lining up the sights and pressing the trigger.  Small differences in grip angle, frame size, trigger design, trigger weights, reset length and recoil impulse result in slightly different techniques required for proficiency.  Yes the fundamentals remain the same but these differences do have an effect on proficiency if someone is switching platforms regularly.  

I haven't found a handgun yet that I couldn't shoot accurately.  I don't fall apart if I stray but my performance is best if I stick with one platform.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to shoot everything I own pretty well. Whether it's a revolver or a semi auto makes no difference to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was me with the HK USP 45 V1 versus 1911s and Smith N-framed revolvers.

Despite the stupidity of "operator error" crap from the internet, I found that the HK fought me at all turns.    I tried to make it work and kept that HK USP for about 5 years trying to fight it and get over it.

I can shoot lots of handguns fairly well and my large hands like things like my Para P14, Beretta 92fs, and N-Frames with target stocks.

The USP would point wildly differently for me than anything else when quickly drawing on target.   Sat too high out of the hand for my liking.   Trigger sucked.   In the end I was faster and more accurate when shooting some of my Nframed Smiths with smooth double actions.

The USP showed me that I would either conscript to the USP at the detriment of everything else or that I would need to ditch the USP.   Rather than adapt to the USP I decided to stick to guns I already shot well and didnt fight me.

I was relieved when I adapted to Glocks quickly for work.

Trying to shoot multiple guns well is probably begging the point of trying to learn to shoot one gun exceptionally well.   Dont be surprised when shooting one gun works against you a bit on another gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I found shooting a lot of berettas over a year really helped my glock shooting.

Now ill just shoot my g19 once in a blue moon even though I carry it half the time
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely this. If you can't pick up a gun get on target with it the same way as any other after a short time, you've developed a crutch in your technique somewhere. This isn't bad necessarily, it just means that you've adapted to something that relates specifically to that gun's design.

However, does shooting only one style of gun keep your manual of arms simple and reloads and draw the fastest? Yes.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:01:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Revolver shooting should help your semi-auto accuracy. Especially with a high recoil round.

It will increase your awareness on grip strength, make your trigger press smoother, force you to follow the front sight through the trigger press (follow through), and if you are using one in gun games, it will get you to make your shots count or you'll be doing a lot more reloading.

Low left for a right handed shooter is 99.75% of the time related to trigger pull. You might have developed a slight rush through the end of the trigger press that presents itself because your Glock trigger stacks at the end of the trigger pull and that doesn't show up with the smoother revolver trigger.

It's possible that you're just pulling the trigger just as hard, especially if there's some over travel in the trigger, you could just be slamming the trigger guard or pressing through the shot hard.

It's possible that you are rotating your weak hand down more due to the cylinder gap and that has transferred to the Glock.

It's possible that the longer reach needed for DA pull has made you change where you put the trigger on your finger. Small changes here change how much strength you can get into the trigger, you could be compensating.

It's possible that the higher recoil and weight from the revolver is forcing you to push the Glock down for follow up shots before the bullet leaves the barrel, this usually results in low shots, but if you combined it with a little twist in the grip, it could go low left, but this would likely result in much bigger groups than what you're seeing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill second the OPs point.
I am just transitioning away from revolvers to MP9s also.

357 Magnum revolvers are so much fun but I find my performance on the semi auto does not match my Revolver performance.
Is it because Revolvers are fundamentally easier to shoot and mechanically more accurate?
Perhaps. Or maybe the different type and angle of grip I am used to requires some retraining.

With  a revolver I can hit a man sized target at 50 yds all day long.
with a semi auto loader 25 yds is more realistic engagement  maximum.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a little more to it than lining up the sights and pressing the trigger. Small differences in grip angle, frame size, trigger design, trigger weights, reset length and recoil impulse result in slightly different techniques required for proficiency. Yes the fundamentals remain the same but these differences do have an effect on proficiency if someone is switching platforms regular
View Quote
People make all kinds of excuses!  It is the trigger! The grip angle! Whatever!  Comes down to less than that!

Sorry folks either you can shoot are you can't!  And, I am firm believer that a lot of you can not shoot!  Talk a lot about it!  All you have to go to an range and look!  There are holes where they do not belong!
Guys get a boner over spraying rounds all over and not hitting the target!

Guys are afraid of getting quality training!  God's Fact!  They do not want their ego's damaged!  

Do you need to shoot like Doug Koenig, no! Or a Brian Zins. But, you should have the proficiency to hold the 10/X ring of a B27 target at 50ft.   Otherwise you have no business carrying a gun for self defense.  And, do not give that crap about what the FBI stats say!  Three meters or less!  And, throw that point shooting crap out too!

Practice with purpose!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

People make all kinds of excuses!  It is the trigger! The grip angle! Whatever!  Comes down to less than that!

Sorry folks either you can shoot are you can't!  And, I am firm believer that a lot of you can not shoot!  Talk a lot about it!  All you have to go to an range and look!  There are holes where they do not belong!
Guys get a boner over spraying rounds all over and not hitting the target!

Guys are afraid of getting quality training!  God's Fact!  They do not want their ego's damaged!  

Do you need to shoot like Doug Koenig, no! Or a Brian Zins. But, you should have the proficiency to hold the 10/X ring of a B27 target at 50ft.   Otherwise you have no business carrying a gun for self defense.  And, do not give that crap about what the FBI stats say!  Three meters or less!  And, throw that point shooting crap out too!

Practice with purpose!
View Quote
Isn't that somewhere in the ballpark of a 4"x6" card? Seems like a steep expectation for every shot at 50ft, especially when you factor in any kind of speed.

I guess I'll just have to take my place over on the "can't shoot" team.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the idea that switching between Revolver and Semi-auto should not dramatically effect your accuracy.  Double action revolver will take someone that has only shot semi-auto a bit to pickup but once your proficient with double action shooting switching back and forth should not effect you meaningfully.

I am torn on the bigger picture.  If you're just standing at the range shooting a stationary target relatively slowly you should be able to randomly pick up any decent handgun and hit the target.  When thing get more dynamic incorporating draw, reloads, shooting on the move, moving targets etc, it might not be as simple.  I went years shooting club level USPSA matches shooting two different setups.  Often with club level matches in my area I could shoot the match more than once.  One time with my Production/Limited-10 setup and then switch to my Revolver setup and shoot the match again.  I managed to get my classification in all three division to B-class switching between the three regularly, even daily.  Later I replaced my Production Rig with a Revolver shooting a Revolver in both Production (627) and Revolver (625) divisions and basiclly stopped shooting Limited-10.  I am still B-class but very close to A-class in Revolver and my Production percentage is the highest its ever been based totally on revolver shot classifiers.  If a job/state change had not happened I am fairly certain I would be A class revolver and very like A class production shooting a revolver.  One manual of arms does seem to help with the stuff around the shooting.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to agree and disagree with some of the points raised in here.

Grip angle, grip size, trigger, etc. can absolutely impact shooting. Yes, you should be able to maintain a fair deal of accuracy with any handgun, but not to the same point as with your primary. There is a reason why we train so much with what we use; it develops muscle memory. Before I get the comment, "your muscles don't have a memory, though", the chunk of gray matter between your ears does--and it controls your muscles. Just like we train for an automatic response when confronted with a threat, the specific movements are also trained. When you raise the sights up to your eyes with the 628, the angle of your wrist will differ from that with a 17/19/etc. You will have to consciously correct that. The same is true of the sight height. If the sights are higher on the 629 than they are on the 17, you will have to adjust from one to the other, depending on which you are more versed in.

On the other hand, you can also absolutely train yourself to shoot both of them well. If you train with both of them consistently, you can train yourself to "recognize'' the difference, and automatically compensate. It's the same principle as training with both an AR/AK/etc. and a sidearm. You can train to shoot well with both, but each requires a different set of "memories."

So, OP, instead of training with one or the other; train with both, often, even together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top