Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2016 11:37:08 PM EDT

this is the place for laboratory testing, values and diagnosis discussions.

Hematology
Blood Banking
Chemistry
Immunology/Serology
Special Chemistry
Microbiology
Histopathology

disclaimer- this is a general discussion of laboratory procedure and data. any information is not necessarily meant for treatment without the guidance of a personal Physician.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Is it still practice to test males for pregnancy to get prostate indicators fot cancer?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Is this medical training related?
View Quote

I would prefer it to be medical people. more and more testing is being done at bedside or on a department level. all hospitals and laboratories are running into problems with people not necessarily trained or have the proper understanding that are capable of running a bench top point of care instrument.

of course any patient diagnosis is going to be very limited in discussion. I'd say its game to discuss anything but info should be guarded.
the treating Physician has the ultimate responsibility and anyone under medical care should have extensive conversation with that Physician.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ar154all:

Is it still practice to test males for pregnancy to get prostate indicators fot cancer?
View Quote

the PSA is the standard for Prostate Issues.
all males over 45 should get them yearly.

some have stated that 50-55 should be the normal, but I know of several instances ( including a ArfCommer recently) whose Prostate Cancer was detected in the mid 40's.

some Prostate Cancer patients receive hormone treatments and I have seen Drs order hormone levels for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Is this medical training related?
View Quote

I would think so. The OP is pretty lab savvy. It's easy for some of us to get compartmentalized into our subspecialties and not be up to date on current recommendations/reference values.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ar154all:

View Quote

IIRC… HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadatropin) is sometimes elevated in males who have testicular cancer, not so much for prostate.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
We once had a lady who needed an epidural.  We were worried about her anticoagulantion
It was one where there was no,easy test.
I suggested a TEG
This was some years ago.  
Now  apparently there is something called a ROTEM

But apparently you have to watch it being resulted online.  
WTF?  

I don't do vascular anymore.  My world was ACTs and occasionally TEG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top