Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2014 4:50:35 AM EDT
I hope I am placing this in the correct forum, but would like to get it out to as many people as possible who could provide me with any advice and I don’t normally put out private information, but would really like some help and insight on what my fellow guns and self defense folks think.  I will try and keep this short.  So I'm recently married, 18 August 2012, to a beautiful, caring, understand, very intelligent and giving woman who so happens to be afflicted with a form of Friedreich's ataxia.  She wasn’t inflicted via a genetic inheritance; rather it was a result of a head injury when she was 12 y/o.   She is a very head strong, independent woman who doesn't back down from a challenge and likes to take on new activities full bore.  We just recently went on a 1,000 mile over night motorcycle ride with her perched up on the pillion seat of a Ducati 1098 and she loved every minute of it.  Last year at Autoclub speedway, she took a ride on the back of an AMA superbike with Chris Ulrich and daminit if they didn't get a better lap time.

Well here is my concern.  My profession has led me to always scan and assess my surrounds and be prepared.  With that said, I am not so much concerned with the ability to do what it takes to protect her and I and make the hastily escape.  When she is on her own, she must walk with a cane as well as concentrate on each step resulting in having to look down as she walks.  Although quite tone muscular she can't generate much power, or maintain a defensive balance nor does she have the ability to make a hastily escape.

So that's kind of the background.  I unfortunately watched a preparedness show on the Outdoor Network and it had a scenario with a gentleman approaching a woman walking with a cane and ended with him stabbing her as she had no method of escape.  They repeated the scenario now with the woman carrying a CCW handgun; however, this time the man overpowered her and turned the weapon on her and she was shot.  Now my wife is a decent shot at the range, but I feel that she would fall in the second scenario if she were to obtain a CCW and carry a firearm.

Other than me always being with her or hiring armed security to accompany her, any advice as to how she can protect herself while out and about alone?  She carries OC mainly hoping to keep a potential attached at distance along with a rescue whistle hoping to dray any attention.  I apologize if this rambled and didn't make a bit of sense.  I’m just starting to get a little desperate as I don’t want her to ever become a victim.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brett
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:16:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tightlines49] [#1]
Brett.  I understand your predicament.  My wife is in somewhat the same condition.  She has another health issue though, one that has progressed past canes,and now requires a wheelchair.  I've thought about it a lot.  My decision has been to get a service / protection dog.    A dog that can be trained to attack low so that my wife can either escape, or have a hopefully clear shot at center mass.  My biggest hurdle has been getting her to understand that severe actions may one day be necessary.  She is coming along though.  Good luck, and best wishes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
KRAV MAGA.

balance, aggression,  cane defense, sword cane. compounded with fire arm training, retention etc..

MY KM Instructor is very "liberal" in doing what you can, attempting what you cant and finding what works for you..

old, fat disabled surgery/stroke issues.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By madman748:
I hope I am placing this in the correct forum, but would like to get it out to as many people as possible who could provide me with any advice and I don’t normally put out private information, but would really like some help and insight on what my fellow guns and self defense folks think.  I will try and keep this short.  So I'm recently married, 18 August 2012, to a beautiful, caring, understand, very intelligent and giving woman who so happens to be afflicted with a form of Friedreich's ataxia.  She wasn’t inflicted via a genetic inheritance; rather it was a result of a head injury when she was 12 y/o.   She is a very head strong, independent woman who doesn't back down from a challenge and likes to take on new activities full bore.  We just recently went on a 1,000 mile over night motorcycle ride with her perched up on the pillion seat of a Ducati 1098 and she loved every minute of it.  Last year at Autoclub speedway, she took a ride on the back of an AMA superbike with Chris Ulrich and daminit if they didn't get a better lap time.

Well here is my concern.  My profession has led me to always scan and assess my surrounds and be prepared.  With that said, I am not so much concerned with the ability to do what it takes to protect her and I and make the hastily escape.  When she is on her own, she must walk with a cane as well as concentrate on each step resulting in having to look down as she walks.  Although quite tone muscular she can't generate much power, or maintain a defensive balance nor does she have the ability to make a hastily escape.

So that's kind of the background.  I unfortunately watched a preparedness show on the Outdoor Network and it had a scenario with a gentleman approaching a woman walking with a cane and ended with him stabbing her as she had no method of escape.  They repeated the scenario now with the woman carrying a CCW handgun; however, this time the man overpowered her and turned the weapon on her and she was shot.  Now my wife is a decent shot at the range, but I feel that she would fall in the second scenario if she were to obtain a CCW and carry a firearm.

Other than me always being with her or hiring armed security to accompany her, any advice as to how she can protect herself while out and about alone?  She carries OC mainly hoping to keep a potential attached at distance along with a rescue whistle hoping to dray any attention.  I apologize if this rambled and didn't make a bit of sense.  I’m just starting to get a little desperate as I don’t want her to ever become a victim.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brett
View Quote

If she cannot maintain balance without putting so much concentration into standing and walking she has to watch her feet that's pretty much the end of protecting yourself. If she can carry a gun and fire a gun her best defense maybe to immediately drop to her back and engage from the ground since it will allow her to fight in some capacity.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the advice.  I've been along with her along with her physical therapists to keep her head and eyes up for better SA.  She's doing much, much better and have come a long way in a short time.  I haven't thought about getting a service dog.  I'll certainly look into that idea as well as seeing what a KM instructor could offer.

Again, thanks for all the info and help.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had past experience in karate, judo and aikido and a mix of other stuff, and currently do BJJ.

We had a disabled woman in our BJJ class for awhile. I'd tend to recommend BJJ, since it also is excellent exercise which could be a form of therapy, and with a good instructor they will make sure she is treated well in class. Note that, depending upon her condition it might be best if she doesn't train hard, so you will have to use your jugdement.

BJJ is perhaps the best core combative training for a woman. It is more sport oriented, but that is the source of its strength.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
DonS...  Thanks for the heads up on BJJ.  That didn't cross my mind.  As I would suspect that any confrontation would more than likely end up on the ground due to her inability to flee.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DonS:
I have had past experience in karate, judo and aikido and a mix of other stuff, and currently do BJJ.

We had a disabled woman in our BJJ class for awhile. I'd tend to recommend BJJ, since it also is excellent exercise which could be a form of therapy, and with a good instructor they will make sure she is treated well in class. Note that, depending upon her condition it might be best if she doesn't train hard, so you will have to use your jugdement.

BJJ is perhaps the best core combative training for a woman. It is more sport oriented, but that is the source of its strength.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By madman748:
DonS...  Thanks for the heads up on BJJ.  That didn't cross my mind.  As I would suspect that any confrontation would more than likely end up on the ground due to her inability to flee.
View Quote

In my experience it is the one place women can fight with men with minimal disadvantage. They lack strength, but partially make up for it with flexability.

Also, ground fighting eliminates the advantage of height. Personally, at 5' 11", I find men of similar height easier to fight then short guys.

Further, in a sexual assault the ground is where the attacker wants to take the victim. Generally he doesn't want to box, he wants to close and take it to the ground. Right where BJJ rules.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Where in CA are you located?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top