Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Knee was very sore yesterday but today it's much better so that's a very good sign. I spent a lot of time yesterday and today so far watching lockdown videos on YouTube
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Drakich:

Tendon damage can occur without any significant pain or swelling.  Ask me how I know .  If the soreness last more than a couple of days you should see an ortho for a function test (and even then that might not tell you anything).  I had 5 tears in my right shoulder / bicep and passed every functional exam.  Only thing I couldn't do is a pullup (which they don't ask you to do at the ortho).  But the pain for progressively worse over a year and eventually I got to the point where I would be sore for a couple of days after rolling.  But no intense pain like I ripped something, it felt like muscle strain pain.

Where was he squeezing?  Lock down usually "attacks" the calf or ankle as they stretch your legs but it's not really an attack it's usually just uncomfortable and difficult to pass if you haven't been exposed to it.
View Quote
I dont want to hear that at all.  I've been "diagnosed" 2with tennis elbow in both elbows.  Usually I can make a whole class without too much pain, sometimes only half a class before both my elbows blow out for several days.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the sore knee was a blessing in disguise; professor and a couple students got the flu while I took off to rest my knee.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Our financing is approved its just a matter of time before we’re owners of our own school. Right now we’re just waiting on approval from the leasing company. Which shouldn’t be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By denverdan:
Our financing is approved its just a matter of time before we’re owners of our own school. Right now we’re just waiting on approval from the leasing company. Which shouldn’t be an issue.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By poisontree:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yup we’re pretty excited. I’ll post up pics when everything is finalized.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Surgery went fine but turns out I was in worse shape than MRI showed.  2 tears on the rotator cuff, partial labrum tear so I'm out 6 months.  Did get some rolls in Sunday but looks like it has to hold me over for a while.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
Shoulder surgery for me tomorrow .

Bone spur, arthritis, and a partially torn labrum.  Hoping to be off the mats for weeks, not months.
Good luck with the surgery.
I'm half way through 30 days of Mobic for my shoulder. I don't think it's going to do the trick.
Probably Cortisone in a couple of weeks.
IBJJF tournament in February....gotta get more gold. To hell with my long term health!
Surgery went fine but turns out I was in worse shape than MRI showed.  2 tears on the rotator cuff, partial labrum tear so I'm out 6 months.  Did get some rolls in Sunday but looks like it has to hold me over for a while.
It always is, they just have a look around and fix everything while they are in there, I've had it done twice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Well it’s official. As of today my wife and I are co-owners of a BJJ school.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By joker581:
Congratulations!
View All Quotes
Well it’s official. As of today my wife and I are co-owners of a BJJ school.
Congratulations!
Thanks man. We’re pretty excited about it. And like said before open invite to any arcommers should anyone find themselves in the area.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Well it's official. As of today my wife and I are co-owners of a BJJ school.
View Quote
Cool, congratulations!

I've been following this thread on and off for a while now, since daughter (6 yo) started bjj back in September. If we ever find ourselves up your way we'll make sure to stop in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 3:44:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#14]
Just realized now that I've been walking around all day with a black eye and no one said anything. Happened sometime in class last night, but no idea when because we were rolling non-stop for a damn hour so everything is a blur. 🤷‍♂️

My inner arms got pretty bruised as well but I noticed those right away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]
wish me luck....
Super Heavy Master. I'm 4 or 5 and 1 locally ( whatever..).
As a white belt (3 stripe) it's gi only with IBJJF.
That's fine with me as I'm 51 and need handles to slow the young guys down.
This will be the first time competing against guys over 40. Really looking forward to the big show.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
wish me luck....
Super Heavy Master. I'm 4 or 5 and 1 locally ( whatever..).
As a white belt (3 stripe) it's gi only with IBJJF.
That's fine with me as I'm 51 and need handles to slow the young guys down.
This will be the first time competing against guys over 40. Really looking forward to the big show.
https://ibjjf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/New-Orleans-IO-2020-Banner-Small-960x160-1.jpg
View Quote
Good luck let’s know how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Good luck let’s know how it goes.
View Quote
Only 3 guys in the old man division....one didn't show.
I lost to a no stripe white belt. Twice.
So, after I lost the first time I had to comment about his belt status as he was bringing a different game to the mat.
He was a collegiate wrestler and wrestled in the Army.
IBJJF rules state, for a white belt, there are several kinds of experience that precludes you from rolling. One is being a wrestler.
I didn't know it at the time and I doubt he did. Don't really care.
I don't know the score for fight one, but he only got 2 points to my no points in the second.
I did very well and pulled a guard game outta my ass that I didn't know I had.
I would have rather moved up a weight class than roll with a wrestler, but I learned a lot.
Anyone fence sitting about tournaments needs to nut up and do one.
I've done three. I guarantee you, you will learn more in a 5 minute train wreck than in 3 weeks of class.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it's official. As of today my wife and I are co-owners of a BJJ school.
View Quote
Wonderful news! Congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got out of a seminar taught by Maurillo Bustamemte.  He seems like a pretty cool guy and makes everything look so easy lol.  Focused on half guard escapes and sweeps and passes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Thanks man. We’re pretty excited about it. And like said before open invite to any arcommers should anyone find themselves in the area.
View Quote
Awesome, somehow I got unsubscribed to this thread,  going to breckenridge next month and may have some time to roll a bit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
So, after I lost the first time I had to comment about his belt status as he was bringing a different game to the mat.
IBJJF rules state, for a white belt, there are several kinds of experience that precludes you from rolling. One is being a wrestler.
I don't know the score for fight one, but he only got 2 points to my no points in the second.
I would have rather moved up a weight class than roll with a wrestler, but I learned a lot.
I've done three. I guarantee you, you will learn more in a 5 minute train wreck than in 3 weeks of class.
View All Quotes

Good luck let's know how it goes.
Sounds like his professor sandbagged him into white belt comp. I wrestled in school also and combined with BJJ my game is very different than what I see pure BJJ practitioners using. I started as a no stripe white and had people asking me "did you wrestle before" so I knew something was off even though my BJJ sucked.

I'm still off the mats, shoulder surgery last year, gearing up for a meniscus fix this year, I went from 205 to 225 over the last year. Masters 5 Ultra Heavy doesn't sound like a good time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome, somehow I got unsubscribed to this thread,  going to breckenridge next month and may have some time to roll a bit.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By navvet89:

SNIP

I'm still off the mats, shoulder surgery last year, gearing up for a meniscus fix this year, I went from 205 to 225 over the last year. Masters 5 Ultra Heavy doesn't sound like a good time.
View Quote
Very old meniscus tear here. Found it when I had  patellar tendonitis last year. Never knew about it. No issues, yet.
I think I tore my MCL...it seems to be getting better.  Knee has been OK for a few weeks so I'll delay addressing it.
Osteo in my shoulders. Left hurts most of the time, even on non training days. I was on Mobic for that and it messed up my renal function, but its fine now.
This sport may kill me....it definitely has cost me some money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Very old meniscus tear here. Found it when I had  patellar tendonitis last year. Never knew about it. No issues, yet.
I think I tore my MCL...it seems to be getting better.  Knee has been OK for a few weeks so I'll delay addressing it.
Osteo in my shoulders. Left hurts most of the time, even on non training days. I was on Mobic for that and it messed up my renal function, but its fine now.
View Quote
Yeah after 2x shoulder surgeries on the same side I stopped doing the stand up (Judo) throws, or I guess letting people throw me that is. I've got 8-10 anchors and a relocated biceps tendon, no room for error on this one.

I hyperextended the knee when I slipped on a piece of rope, pain is just under the bottom edge of the kneecap, slightly to the inside, been that way for 18'ish months now and slowly getting worse, need to fix it before it atrophies too much from being favored.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Really good class last night. We quickly drilled a couple submissions from closed guard then rolled for an hour straight, always starting from closed guard.

One guy's only move at passing attempts was drilling his right elbow into my left thigh. It's so damn sore today
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Really good class last night. We quickly drilled a couple submissions from closed guard then rolled for an hour straight, always starting from closed guard.

One guy's only move at passing attempts was drilling his right elbow into my left thigh. It's so damn sore today
View Quote
I cant stand the elbow pressers.  I'll usually threaten an Ezekiel choke or maybe a wrist lock on those guys lol.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
break him down and armbar him, just grab a lapel with one hand, his elbow with the other, pull both hands and do a sit-up, he'll drop right into your lap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah after 2x shoulder surgeries on the same side I stopped doing the stand up (Judo) throws, or I guess letting people throw me that is. I've got 8-10 anchors and a relocated biceps tendon, no room for error on this one.

I hyperextended the knee when I slipped on a piece of rope, pain is just under the bottom edge of the kneecap, slightly to the inside, been that way for 18'ish months now and slowly getting worse, need to fix it before it atrophies too much from being favored.
View All Quotes

I'm not looking for any stand up practice.
It just isn't worth getting my arm pulled on repeatedly although I could use some practice falling.  
I have a pretty good take down. It'll have to do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:16:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: poisontree] [#30]
Havent been able to get to the gym but just had a roll with my 9 year old in the garage on our pads...   that's what it's all about guys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Havent been able to get to the gym but just had a roll with my 9 year old in the garage on our pads...   that's what it's all about guys.
View Quote
One of the main reasons I started BJJ last year was because I want to hopefully get my daughter into it when she's older.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:06:50 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
I train with both of my sons at the gym and at home.
That's pretty awesome and hopefully we'll be doing it for years to come.
I bought 100 3x3 puzzle mats straight from China. I only needed 12 and will sell the rest.
They cost $9.10 from the supplier but are $27 each by the time all the other charges are added on.
Still cheaper than Great Mats, but for the money and slow sales I'd pay a little more and buy online.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#33]

I train with both of my sons at the gym and at home.
That's pretty awesome and hopefully we'll be doing it for years to come.
I bought 100 3x3 puzzle mats straight from China. I only needed 12 and will sell the rest.
They cost $9.10 from the supplier but are $27 each by the time all the other charges are added on.
Still cheaper than Great Mats, but for the money and slow sales I'd pay a little more and buy online.
View Quote
I was lucky to have a coworker that had some mats that he got in an estate sale that he gave me, i think they are 10x12.  I'm going to be looking for some zebra mats when I get inside room, maybe next house.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#34]
It just isn't worth getting my arm pulled on repeatedly although I could use some practice falling.  
View All Quotes

preach it brother
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

I haven't rolled since Wednesday; our professor closed the gym Friday, and now the state forced all gyms to close indefinitely.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#36]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394169/B4D7A852-04FF-48EA-9333-07E8EFD18D95_jpe-1319348.JPG

I haven't rolled since Wednesday; our professor closed the gym Friday, and now the state forced all gyms to close indefinitely.
View Quote
Yeah shitty timing. Our school was just forced to close for at least 30 days.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Yeah shitty timing. Our school was just forced to close for at least 30 days.
View Quote
Same here. We are organizing an open mat and some MMA in my home gym.
I bought 100 puzzle mats to resell. Sales have been slow and that's not a bad thing now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#38]
My gb school is closed, online training for the next couple weeks.

Silver lining to this is I have time for my back to recover
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#40]
This Danaher solo video set is free right now. https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/new-releases/products/self-master-solo-bjj-training-drills-by-john-danaher. All of the Renzo Gracie videos are as well.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up man
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Smurf10161:
My gb school is closed, online training for the next couple weeks.
View Quote

Our insurance pretty much shut us down this week, and most likely next week.  Reports I hear are that the "self-quarantine" could last up to 8 weeks.  That will hurt.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you for the heads-up on the Danaher videos! Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The wife and I are going a little crazy here with no training.

Since we own the school we’re considering having a “staff meeting” with our instructors.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Since we own the school we’re considering having a “staff meeting” with our instructors.
View Quote

Our professors are doing online classes.
Is "staff meeting" a code word for a "staff meeting"?
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

It absolutely is.  

Hmmmm now you have given me ideas. I could film some online stuff with my guys.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#46]
looks like I"ll be in a different weight class when we get to return, I've dropped almost 10 lbs (almost in the 190s again).  I guess I eat a lot of unhealthy stuff when I eat out compared to cooking all meals lol.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#47]

It absolutely is.  

Hmmmm now you have given me ideas. I could film some online stuff with my guys.
View Quote

Look up Team Jucão on-line videos. They may be public. They are posting on Facebook.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Just built this guy out of my daughter's stuffed elephant. I started with the end pieces of the puzzle mats, and rolled some towels around them while attaching them to the limbs of the elephant:

Attachment Attached File

Then I added more padding, put it into my old navy uniform, and cinched the joint areas for better definition:

Attachment Attached File

Lastly, put the whole thing in a gi

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]
LOL. I ordered a 10x15' mat from Amazon for my son and I to train on. Ordered on Prime, but won't be here for 3 weeks...

Hardwood floors are no bueno for BJJ.

BTW, you should put a blond wig on the elephant's head just to make it extra creepy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Is anyone’s school opening any time soon? We’re opening ours on Saturday.
Limited classes, taking temperatures, and a ton of cleaning of course.

I’m not even sure if we’re supposed to but we’re all fed up with this nonsense.
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top