Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2017 8:38:03 PM EDT
Picked up a 2011 STI Tactical 5.0 with the threaded barrel. Came with a Kydex rig that looks like a blade tech so I might add a DOH to it later which is pretty much what I ran my Edge in forever.

I have never really had a race type holster and always have shot out of kydex. What are some good options to look at? Now that I have multiple 2011 guns it makes sense since the Edge and Tactical don't fit in each others holsters.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a big fan of the DAA Alpha X.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#2]
http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=CRSPWSMII&n=

I shot USPSA with an edge in this for years. Never any issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Double Alpha all the way. I run 2011s in Limited, Limited 10 and Open. I have been running a Racemaster for a couple seasons in USPSA and Steel Challenge. When locked it does not come out. You cannot draw through the lock like some others When unlocked you only have to draw up 1/4" maximum before it releases. I just picked up the Alpha-X a couple months ago for my Open division 3-gun rig. It uses the same mechanism as the Racemaster but with a stronger mount. If all you want is a solid but smooth release, either will work exceptionally well. If you need to move a lot with a holstered pistol then the Alpha-X is the way to go.

You can't beat either for adjustability.

Pricey but worth it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Another DAA fan.

The cool thing about the Alpha X or Race Master is that any gun with the same grip will work in the block.  So if your limited guns have the same grip as your open guns, you can use the same rig.

The bad thing about this, though, is that if you have different grips on your 2011's it won't work all that great.  My block is for the Phoenix Trinity grip.  CK and STI grips rattle around in the block.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d_striker:
Another DAA fan.

The cool thing about the Alpha X or Race Master is that any gun with the same grip will work in the block.  So if your limited guns have the same grip as your open guns, you can use the same rig.

The bad thing about this, though, is that if you have different grips on your 2011's it won't work all that great.  My block is for the Phoenix Trinity grip.  CK and STI grips rattle around in the block.
View Quote

I must have a pair of unicorns. Both my Racemaster and Alpha-X have the STI blocks. My Open gun has a Phoenix Trinity stainless Grip and my Limited gun has the standard STI polymer grip. Both fit near perfectly in the same block.

The upside to both holsters is they use the same blocks. If you have multiple guns with different grips you can change out just the blocks and not have to buy a complete holster for each gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PatriotMRD:

I must have a pair of unicorns. Both my Racemaster and Alpha-X have the STI blocks. My Open gun has a Phoenix Trinity stainless Grip and my Limited gun has the standard STI polymer grip. Both fit near perfectly in the same block.

The upside to both holsters is they use the same blocks. If you have multiple guns with different grips you can change out just the blocks and not have to buy a complete holster for each gun.
View Quote

Interesting.  

I can run an STI or CK in my PT block and it locks, but there's just a little too much rattle for my preference.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xXGearheadXx] [#7]
I use a race master.  It's a pretty good holster overall.  Lots of adjustment (just note that each adjustment can loosen at bad times).  It's solid and when i sold my STI i was able to get a new insert for my TSO without buying a new holster.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Not often you get this kind of unanimous answer on here. Looks like I need to start saving up my pennies
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Not often you get this kind of unanimous answer on here. Looks like I need to start saving up my pennies
View Quote

Get the Alpha X. It's infinitely better than the Race Master. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:24:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Young-Kiwi] [#10]
I have had one of my CR speed holsters for 20+ years, another for more than 10 years.

Always been very happy with them.
So another Vote for CR Speed.

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a CR Speed around the same time as my first 2011 last year. It's worked fine for me, but I'm in the bottom of C-class.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top