Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 6:27:40 PM EDT
Well I did my cert for my NYS pistol permit..

Submitted 9/27/2017 came back today as being certified.

Message you get back from Online:

Thank you for recertifying your pistol permit. Your next recertification is due on 09/27/2022.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Still limited to three handguns when certifying on line?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well I did my cert for my NYS pistol permit..

Submitted 9/27/2017 came back today as being certified.

Message you get back from Online:

Thank you for recertifying your pistol permit. Your next recertification is due on 09/27/2022.
View Quote

I thought we were all gonna do this by snail mail as opposed to online...and in January of 2018...so they get thousands at the last minute they have to process manually??

We have to make this cost the state tons more money than they thought!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still limited to three handguns when certifying on line?
View Quote
Uhh what?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I thought we were all gonna do this by snail mail as opposed to online...and in January of 2018...so they get thousands at the last minute they have to process manually??

View Quote
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if NYS mandates that they have to accept them in languages other than English?   I would pay someone to translate it into the most obscure language that they would have to accept.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Uhh what?
View Quote
When I first looked at the web site it would only allow three handguns to be listed; any more and the paper version had to be submitted; perhaps that has changed?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
no limit.. you just add them on the bottom... all of mine are co-owned so i had to check the box for each one..
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no limit.. you just add them on the bottom... all of mine are co-owned so i had to check the box for each one..
View Quote
Correct!  Just hit add till done. I finally relented and did mine Monday :(
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Correct!  Just hit add till done. I finally relented and did mine Monday :(
View Quote
Guys...you are doing Cuomo's work for him.

At least mail in the paper form and make them do all the data entry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Data entry will probably be farmed out to Dept. Of Corrections. I shit you not!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
and not be right than get gigged for wrong info.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
We were just discussing this at the range last night and talking about that being the plan of several people I know.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Guys...you are doing Cuomo's work for him.

At least mail in the paper form and make them do all the data entry.
View Quote
I was going to wait and do the paper submission but went ahead with online.  Someone with typing skills will be able to input in minutes what took me over 1/2 hour anyway.
Then what if there's an error? What if at the deadline the SP state you have no valid permit till you actually have it it hand. If  you think not, read the DEC regs for online hunting licenses.
Even though you get a confirmation etc, you are not permitted to hunt until you have the actual license and tags in hand.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Having been told by people who actually work for the NYSP and having experienced the kick-backs on reports, this deal of requiring millions of Licenses to be recertified is going to be an epic cluster-fuck that will take YEARS to process especially given the reports of Licensees that are going to wait until the last minute to comply.  It'll all fall back to the County that issued the Licenses in the first place.
Biggest problem is the NYSP doesn't KNOW exactly what a good many of the Handgun Licenses holders actually have....know what? THEY SHOULDN'T!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
and not be right than get gigged for wrong info.
View Quote
Keep a notarized copy. You aren't legally responsible for their data entry errors.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're damn right. Guys we need to make this hard on them not easy. Send it certified mail so somebody has to sign for it and wait until the last possibly minute.

If your permit was issued before 1/15/13 the deadline to submit your recertification is 1/31/18
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Wonder what happens if you "forget"
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
How do you know if you need to do this? Do you get a notice in the mail?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
My father and I got one.. But my father passed away 2 years ago and hasn't been in NY in 20 years..
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Posted without comment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPPMz_M7mfI
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit. This video should be forwarded to everyone you know. Anyone with a pistol permit. Even the dudes you know should see this. Everyone else can protest why can't we as fine owners?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The only reason I see them compiling a list, is to take as they see fit. Looks like if you fail the file the paperwork you lose your license. Wonder how that's going to go? They notify your county? I'm really weighing the options if it's even worth having one anymore.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How do you know if you need to do this? Do you get a notice in the mail?
View Quote
You should get a letter in the mail from NYSP. However if your permit was issued after 1/15/13 then you have 5 years from the date your permit was issued to recertify. The 1/31/18 date is only for people whose permits were issued prior to the passing of the SAFE Act.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You should get a letter in the mail from NYSP. However if your permit was issued after 1/15/13 then you have 5 years from the date your permit was issued to recertify. The 1/31/18 date is only for people whose permits were issued prior to the passing of the SAFE Act.
View Quote
Thanks. I think mines from Feb 13. No expiration date on the permit though
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
hard copy and snail mail for me, in a couple months
I'll make a scan or photocopy of my submission for my records
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Keep a notarized copy. You aren't legally responsible for their data entry errors.
View Quote
NY notaries do not have any means of notarizing anything but signatures.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But a dated, notarized copy would be useful if they enter the info wrong. It could show that you correctly filled out the form if some data entry person transposed part of the SN and they tried to bust you for having "an unregistered handgun".
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

But a dated, notarized copy would be useful if they enter the info wrong. It could show that you correctly filled out the form if some data entry person transposed part of the SN and they tried to bust you for having "an unregistered handgun".
View Quote
Make sure it's sent certified mail too
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:26:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Make a photocopy, sign said photocopy with, "I attest that the firearms listed on this page are duly licensed to John Doe, as listed on New York State Pistol Permit # 1234, issued by Judge Jane Smith on January 1, 1999 in my county. This document is an identical copy of the New York State Pistol Permit Recertification submitted pursuant to the New York State SAFE Act on (date of mailing)."

Notary swears you signed said document in front of her. Notary is not stipulating the contents of said document, but you are proving via their signature as to the content of your cert as it is a photocopy with their stamp. Should the NYSP transpose numbers, you can produce said notarized document. What can they produce? Either they have the original proving they fucked up, or they don't and the only proof in the dispute is what you produce.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The only reason I see them compiling a list, is to take as they see fit. Looks like if you fail the file the paperwork you lose your license. Wonder how that's going to go? They notify your county? I'm really weighing the options if it's even worth having one anymore.
View Quote
Ultimate goal is to take pistol permits away from the counties and issue state handgun licenses so Albany can collect fees and prohibit CCW.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#31]
It probably IS the goal of the State to take over handgun licenses.....they've done such a stellar job they're down to a three year plus backlog of P-12's (report of disposition for every handgun transaction)  

Any "issues" found with licenses or the handguns on it will be kicked back to the County for them to sort it out...with most of the Counties being many months to years behind, and the promise of disgruntle Licensee's waiting until January 2018 to submit, it's going to turn into a cluster-fuck of epic proportions.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top