Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2017 10:30:40 AM EDT
Friend of mine sent in pistol permit renewal to Westchester cty. He received back a letter stating that they needed to inspect his means of safekeeping his pistols before they would renew it. Failure to do so would result in non-renewal. Anyone ever heard of this? Seems unconstitutional at best, an invasion of privacy, and very open to a broad interpretation of what safe storage is or isn't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard of it in Westchester and I don't disagree with you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of it before too and find it to be more intrusive bullshit, but they seem to have Licensees over a barrel.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it happens if you purchase a 5th pistol...and I guess when you have 5 or more and want to renew.

Even NYC doesn't do actual home inspections...they ask for a photo of your safe, open and closed, and maybe a receipt. Still bullshit but better than Westchester.

Such bullshit.

I have a house in Westchester, but my permit is from my house upstate, so I don't have to deal with any of this BS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Upon further research you are all correct. So unbelievable. Give up your 4th to exercise your 2nd. Scary.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the kind of case where we would win at the SCOTUS level. 100%.

We'd lose in NY district court, and in the 2nd circus, obviously...because liberal judges are retarded and dishonest...But SCOTUS, even with the current make up, would absolutely call this unconstitutional.

And it is such a clear cut, simple, focused, narrow question - the kind of case SCOTUS loves to take.

Is it constitutional to require the surrender of one's 4th amendment rights, in order to exercise their 2nd amendment rights?

If someone would just refuse the inspection based on 4th amendment grounds, and they actually had their 2nd amendment right to own a handgun revoked, a Supreme Court win would almost be guaranteed.

It would also call into question the fact that one needs to get a license simply to OWN a handgun and possess in the home - which is, according to Heller, a core individual right.

Does your friend want to take part in taking down NY's gun laws?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ha. No way. I wish.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember my first inspection.  It went well but afterwards, I felt so dirty and violated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I had it done some years ago when I got my 5th gun. . . woman detective came in, I showed her the lock-boxes that the guns were in, she said, "fine", and left. . . on paper it sounds ok, but I can see how it could be abused. . . I also believe we have a "safe storage" law here in Wchester. . . . handguns are supposed to be LOCKED up at all times. . . 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top