Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:24:42 PM EDT
I am looking at buying a lower from LMT with a SOPMOD stock on it, is it legal in New York?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at buying a lower from LMT with a SOPMOD stock on it, is it legal in New York?
Thanks

Not on a reciever that was made after September 13th 1994.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Most likely no in the form you are looking at it.

The LMT SOPMOD stock is a collapsing stock and as such it is covered by the NY assault weapons ban.

If you jump through some hoops you could have the lower with stock sent to a gunsmith who could pin/fix the stock in one position.  
This would be legal and the stock would no longer be collapsible.

Or, if the lower receiver in question was manufactured prior to Sept. 1994, it would be legal to have a collapsing SOPMOD stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the best bet is to see if they will sell me the lower without the stock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
i thought if it was pined you can use the SOPMOD stock on post band lowers?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think the best bet is to see if they will sell me the lower without the stock.

Have the lower sent to your FFL...
Have the stock mailed to you....

Do your own stock modification and make it legal, (Pin the stock in the proper extended position of your choice) THEN pick up the lower and mate the two....EASY!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i thought if it was pined you can use the SOPMOD stock on post band lowers?

Yes, any telescoping stock, otherwise illegal on a postban in NY can be pinned into a "fixed" stock and be legal on a postban.

But a SOPMOD is quite pricey to be turning into a fixed stock.  I was too cheap when I was in NY, and only pinned MOE stocks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Really it is not, LMT sells the std complete lower with std butt stock and std trigger for $350 complete. They want another $143 for their 2 stage trigger (that I install) or $493.00.
Again the complete lower with the two stage trigger and SOPMOD stock is $511 or $18 more.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really it is not, LMT sells the std complete lower with std butt stock and std trigger for $350 complete. They want another $143 for their 2 stage trigger (that I install) or $493.00.
Again the complete lower with the two stage trigger and SOPMOD stock is $511 or $18 more.

Yeah, I guess looking at it in the package prices, it's not bad.  Pin that sucker then.  SOPMOD's have one of the most comfortable cheekwelds I've encountered.

But I wouldn't have the stomach to buy a SOPMOD standalone stock and pin it.  I bought a UBR when I was still living in NY (smoking deal I couldn't pass up) but never would have thought to pin it.  It was saved for when I moved out of NY.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Not quite sure what I will do, hitting the Syracuse show this weekend. Then I'll do something next week. Frankly, I would love to buy another .308, but I can't justify the cost of .308 in black rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Try this guy. He has had this listed for a while. Maybe he would ship the lower minus stock and rec extension to ffl and then send you the stock assembly for pinning??

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=158
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top