Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 6:27:27 PM EDT
Trying to find a decent FFL near Syracuse, NY to bring in a non-stock rifle to them. Looking at a Daniel Defense or Larue to be purchased thru CDNN.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Better check as I may be completely wrong but; I thought CDNN wouldn't give the time of day to NY residents.
There are a couple EBR friendly shops in the area that the Syracuse crew will advise on.....I'm an hour North.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
N,S,E,or W of 'cuse?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Tim's -west of Syracuse in Elbridge-top notch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Better check as I may be completely wrong but; I thought CDNN wouldn't give the time of day to NY residents.
There are a couple EBR friendly shops in the area that the Syracuse crew will advise on.....I'm an hour North.

I am in the Central Square area. My main thing is I am just trying to find someone competitive that doesn't say you pay list for something that they don't have on the floor. CDNN was a easy example for me to show them on paper where they could buy the rifle at a decent cost. I still want people to make money otherwise if they can't make money, they won't stay in business.

I take it your in the Watertown area? I have no issues with driving there to do business. Let me know if someone in that area is good.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
N,S,E,or W of 'cuse?

1/2 hour north
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tim's -west of Syracuse in Elbridge-top notch.

Tim on Rt 5? I have not been there but I have passed him. I' ll have to check them out.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Any place else?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I know that Tim's will charge at a min $30 to borrow the ffl, I believe a man of Clay Howland Jr. does.  He advertises in the Post Standard I'm really fuzzy on him. My supervisor send people his way because he is really far on his prices when people want to sell their firearms.  I'll ask my supervisor tomorrow when I'm at work.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know that Tim's will charge at a min $30 to borrow the ffl, I believe a man of Clay Howland Jr. does.  He advertises in the Post Standard I'm really fuzzy on him. My supervisor send people his way because he is really far on his prices when people want to sell their firearms.  I'll ask my supervisor tomorrow when I'm at work.

315-622-1379 is his number he's a good guy.

There is a newer place in Brewerton called River Rat. It's more of a Marina/bait shop but he has a FFL and charges $25 I believe.

River Rat
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Go Redhawks!  

My FFL is a guy in Phoenix...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks, let me know
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

315-622-1379 is his number he's a good guy.

There is a newer place in Brewerton called River Rat. It's more of a Marina/bait shop but he has a FFL and charges $25 I believe.

River Rat

I have seen the sign, I'll have to check him out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go Redhawks!  

Your kid go to the Square?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am in the Central Square area. My main thing is I am just trying to find someone competitive that doesn't say you pay list for something that they don't have on the floor. CDNN was a easy example for me to show them on paper where they could buy the rifle at a decent cost. I still want people to make money otherwise if they can't make money, they won't stay in business.

I take it your in the Watertown area? I have no issues with driving there to do business. Let me know if someone in that area is good.

Thanks

I help out at Gunshows and occasionally around this shop:
Van Tassel's Gunsmithing Service
30412 NYS Rte. 37  Evans Mills, NY 13637 (315) 629-4774
Mary usually charges $25. for transfers; good customers or multiple guns, she usually reduces the fee. This time of the year she's wicked busy, but she can/will get you most whatever you're looking for. FWIW: They've been in business for 25 years. We'll be at the Syracuse show the 18~19 row N & O couple tables down from Sherluk.
While I won't speak for Mary (She's the owner) I can check what's available and give a price that'll be very close.
If you call someplace like CDNN ask if they have a FFL on file from Van Tassel's or wherever you choose:
Be sure to spell out, understand, and agree on what's to transpire: specify what's coming, make sure the dealer is aware if there are "issues" that might throw a wrench into the works, for example if it's got a collapsible stock make sure they know and that when you get there to pick it up you're going to remove the stock and install something different to make it compliant, if it's coming with hi-cap magazines tell the dealer that you're coming with a USPS Flat-Rate box addressed to your cousin in Florida so the dealer can put them into the box, seal it and go out with the mail, or what other arrangement you've come to. A written letter outlining all the details makes life so much easier, which often leads to cheaper prices!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I help out at Gunshows and occasionally around this shop:
Van Tassel's Gunsmithing Service
30412 NYS Rte. 37  Evans Mills, NY 13637 (315) 629-4774
Mary usually charges $25. for transfers; good customers or multiple guns, she usually reduces the fee. This time of the year she's wicked busy, but she can/will get you most whatever you're looking for. FWIW: They've been in business for 25 years. We'll be at the Syracuse show the 18~19 row N & O couple tables down from Sherluk.
While I won't speak for Mary (She's the owner) I can check what's available and give a price that'll be very close.
If you call someplace like CDNN ask if they have a FFL on file from Van Tassel's or wherever you choose:
Be sure to spell out, understand, and agree on what's to transpire: specify what's coming, make sure the dealer is aware if there are "issues" that might throw a wrench into the works, for example if it's got a collapsible stock make sure they know and that when you get there to pick it up you're going to remove the stock and install something different to make it compliant, if it's coming with hi-cap magazines tell the dealer that you're coming with a USPS Flat-Rate box addressed to your cousin in Florida so the dealer can put them into the box, seal it and go out with the mail, or what other arrangement you've come to. A written letter outlining all the details makes life so much easier, which often leads to cheaper prices!

Will you be at the Syracuse show, if so what day? That way I can speak with you or Mary then.
Thanks

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Will you be at the Syracuse show, if so what day? That way I can speak with you or Mary then.
Thanks

All of us will be at the Syracuse show; our tables are N/O 37~39
At 6'6" 275lbs it's real hard to pick me out of a crowd.    Usually I try and wear something ARFcom related.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

All of us will be at the Syracuse show; our tables are N/O 37~39
At 6'6" 275lbs it's real hard to pick me out of a crowd.    Usually I try and wear something ARFcom related.

I'll likely see you there Saturday morning. My name is Joe.
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go Redhawks!  

Shoot, Joe, we'll have to meet for coffee at Good Golly's or the Grist Mill sometime.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go Redhawks!  

Shoot, Joe, we'll have to meet for coffee at Good Golly's or the Grist Mill sometime.  

I was shooting at the range on RT 37, I need to rejoin, took a little break to coach kids sports for the last several years. Still doing it, but need something on my own to do. But that sounds good, as long as you don't mind, I am soda or OJ drinker - no coffee - so don't laugh.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go Redhawks!  

I was shooting at the range on RT 37, I need to rejoin, took a little break to coach kids sports for the last several years. Still doing it, but need something on my own to do. But that sounds good, as long as you don't mind, I am soda or OJ drinker - no coffee - so don't laugh.

I am a member, my boys and I were there sunday.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:52:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go Redhawks!  

I am a member, my boys and I were there sunday.

Great place, just have not been there in a couple or more years. They hadn't finished the rifle range last time I was there. Still dirt cheap for a family , right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#22]
The rifle range (50-300 yards), as well as the pistol range (7-25 yards)  is really nice.  They have the trap league, and an archery 3-d range.  I think the $35 membership fee is a great deal.  There have been many new members joining up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The rifle range (50-300 yards), as well as the pistol range (7-25 yards)  is really nice.  They have the trap league, and an archery 3-d range.  I think the $35 membership fee is a great deal.  There have been many new members joining up.

Do they still have the applications at the main gate or what would be the best way to get one? It has been at least a couple years since I renewed my membership.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Corinthian Arms, Canal St in Syracuse, great guy to deal with

http://www.corinthianarms.com/

I know he's out of town until next week.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I know he's out of town until next week.[/quote]

Neat, thanks, he is only a couple minutes from my work.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Well I made it to Tim's and River Rat. Both great places, now I need to figure out what to buy.
Thanks everyone.
Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top