Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By JW1069:
Originally Posted By sititunga:
Originally Posted By JW1069:
Mine arrived today.  Kinda silly that I can cc in PA, but my home state (county) issues a hunting/target restriction.

I think it's worth writing to your County Clerk and challenging your NY restrictions.  I felt the same way when I got my Florida permit.

Writing the judge is on my "To Do" list.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2010 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump so it doesn't fall off the Internets and hit Al Gore in the head.

Link Posted: 7/29/2010 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I received my PA ccw exactly 7 days after mailing it out and that was about two weeks ago.......   GOTURTBACK
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for a card that should be tucked in every New Yorker's wallet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]
RKBAR I'm confused...make sure I've got this right:
NYS CCW (w/o restrictions) + PA non-res. CCW = OK to carry in most all the Eastern Seaboard States....right?
Primarly I'm looking to carry in FL, GA, AL, PA,...maybe some of the States along the way down I-75
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
DISCLAIMER: AFAIK this list is accurate as of 07-2010 but as always prior to carrying in a reciprocal state you MUST

verify that your CCW is valid in EVERY STATE YOU PLAN ON CARRYING A CONCEALED HANDGUN IN.

If you get locked up because you're too stupid to read the above disclaimer call Aimless at Dewey Cheatum & Howe
Sources:
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html
http://www.handgunlaw.us
States that honor a NY issued CCL
*Alaska

Arizona

Idaho

Indiana

Kentucky

**Michigan

Missouri

Montana

New York

Oklahoma

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

*Vermont
* No CCW needed to carry concealed
** Nonresident issued CCW not vaild. All NY CCL restrictions apply.

** It is a criminal offense in MI to CCW outside your NY administrative restrictions  
States that honor a FL non-resident issued CCW
Alabama

*Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

Delaware

Florida

Georgia

Idaho

Indiana

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

New Mexico

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma  

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

*Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wyoming
States that honor a NH non-resident issued CCW
Alabama

*Alaska

Arizona

Georgia

Idaho

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Mississippi

Missouri

New Hampshire

North Carolina

North Dakota

Oklahoma  

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

Tennessee

Utah

*Vermont

Wyoming
States that honor a UT non-resident issued CCW
Alabama

*Alaska

Arizona

Arkansas

Delaware

Georgia

Idaho

Indiana

Kentucky

Louisiana

Minnisota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

North Carolina

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma  

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

*Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wyoming

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By fp1201:

RKBAR I'm confused...make sure I've got this right:

NYS CCW (w/o restrictions) + PA non-res. CCW = OK to carry in most all the Eastern Seaboard States....right?

Primarly I'm looking to carry in FL, GA, AL, PA,...maybe some of the States along the way down I-75

Look at the above list. You cannot carry in FL, NH etc. with a non-resident issued CCW license from any other state that has reciprocity with FL and/or NH.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
New Hampshire's used to be $20.  I'm glad I got it just before it went up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By Addicted2Fish:

New Hampshire's used to be $20.  I'm glad I got it just before it went up.

Move to NH. It's still only $10 for residents. I can't really blame them for raising the non-resident fees so they didn't have to raise the resident fees.

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Bumping this for a buddy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the Centre County mail option still available for both new and renewal licenses?
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Is the Centre County mail option still available for both new and renewal licenses?

I just called the Sheriff's office and was told the mail option was still ok for a non-res LTC.

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
just renewed my pa non res from centre county
ithe old one didnt expire until later this year but i called the office
and the very nice lady said she wasnt sure when the new "show up in person for renewal"
law was going to kick in but it would be some time soon

she suggested to renew now to avoid having to physically show up

it took about 10 days from start to finish and now i am good for 5 years

i lost a few months but saved having to go to PA to renew

Link Posted: 1/19/2011 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
So the answer is Yes and No?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PanicBuyer] [#15]
I just mailed my application paperwork out on Friday(21st) I'll keep you posted.

OK!
Got my PA permit in the mail yesterday. Exactly one week turn around time.

Mine had three white permit copies and the receipt. Per the instructions stapled to the receipt. Sign all three and mail the top two back to the specified address. Couldn't be easier.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Think there is still enough time to sent out an application to Centre Co?

Are the counties that border NY good with issuing non-resident LTC? maybe just wait for the plastic card?
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CombatMP:
Think there is still enough time to sent out an application to Centre Co?

Are the counties that border NY good with issuing non-resident LTC? maybe just wait for the plastic card?

I can tell you for sure that MONTCO will not issue to non-residents.  They won't even respond to my mail...Bucks and Chester are probably out too.  I would send out the app to Sheriff Nau, give it a shot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#18]
It'll cost you $0.88 to find out... what've you got to lose?
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By emsjeep:
Just apply to Centre County with a copy of your restricted NYS permit, they know the deal.  I have one, same situation, ther eis no restricted PA permit.  Also, you can carry openly (OC) in PA and CC in your vehicle on any out of state permit, just no CC in public, for that you need an LTCF.  PM me if you have any issues or questions.  I have actually spoken with Sheriff Nau, really nice guy, pro-gun, pro-carry.

Are you saying to HAVE to open carry if you are a NY res. using a out of state PA permit?

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By j1r11:
Just apply to Centre County with a copy of your restricted NYS permit, they know the deal.  I have one, same situation, ther eis no restricted PA permit.  Also, you can carry openly (OC) in PA and CC in your vehicle on any out of state permit, just no CC in public, for that you need an LTCF.  PM me if you have any issues or questions.  I have actually spoken with Sheriff Nau, really nice guy, pro-gun, pro-carry.

Are you saying to HAVE to open carry if you are a NY res. using a out of state PA permit?

If you have a permit from any state that doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with PA OR a state that has been designated by the PA Attorney General as acceptable you CAN carry in a vehicle without unloading but you MUST carry openly on foot, except in Philly where you need a LTCF to CC or OC.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#21]

If you have a permit from any state that doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with PA OR a state that has been designated by the PA Attorney General as acceptable you CAN carry in a vehicle without unloading but you MUST carry openly on foot, except in Philly where you need a LTCF to CC or OC.

That is going to go over well OC'd while the libs call the cops.  So now you have to go down in person if you are a non-resident?  I just look at the APP. and it does not say anything about that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#22]

That is going to go over well OC'd while the libs call the cops.  So now you have to go down in person if you are a non-resident?  I just look at the APP. and it does not say anything about that.

PA has some very clear and unambiguous case law that deals with MWAG calls.  You will likely be approached anyway, but there is very little they can do, guys are winning civil suits and the state-wide LEO training network covers the issue annually.  You may still see problem areas (Philly) but OC'ing in PA is safer than almost any other state.

PA instituted the photo system for our EMT cards...took them, literally, about 8 years to get it running.  By the time it came up fully, the digital cameras they initially issedued were well past obsolete.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Are you saying that a FL, NH or other non-resident CCW that has reciprocity with PA are not vaild to CCW in Philadelphia?

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 2:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emsjeep] [#24]

Are you saying that a FL, NH or other non-resident CCW that has reciprocity with PA are not vaild to CCW in Philadelphia?

No.

3 Situations:
1) No permit/license; OC only on foot, except Philly, limited vehicle transport in accordance with 6106.
2) Permit/license from a state that is not approved by the PA AG nor has a reciprocal agreement with PA; OC only on foot, except Philly, transport and carry in a vehicle anywhere.
3) LTCF or reciprocal agreement state license/permit or state that has been approved by the PA AG; Carry anywhere legal, OC/CC, no vehicle restrictions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Last call for those mail-in apps fellas.

License to Carry Firearms Applications Via Mail to be Discontinued on March 31, 2011
As the result of requirements of Act 66, 2005, applicants must have their photo and signature captured electronically into our system. At this time there is no manner to complete these requirements without the personal appearance of the applicant.

Therefore we will not be able to process any mailed applications received after March 31, 2011
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Mailed mine out last week
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
You can carry in PA with a non-res NH CCW but not the other way around. AFAIK if you have a NY + a non-res NH & FL CCW there is no point in getting a PA CCW.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By neversurrender:
I love Pa. I also sent out and recieved my non resident carry in Pa in about a weeks time. New hamshire was also very quick to respond.
You can carry in PA with a non-res NH CCW but not the other way around. AFAIK if you have a NY + a non-res NH & FL CCW there is no point in getting a PA CCW.

Yes, but PA is so cheap and easy why wouldn't you get it?  I know I am covered in multiple states by multiple licenses, but why not add a few $$ in license cost?

Bill
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Whatever made you reply to a five year old post?
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cas:
View Quote

Well since it's been brought back up: I renewed my last April.  Had to do so in person, went to the Centre County Sheriffs Office (my one car garage is bigger) waited in line behind a dozen applicants, but it went pretty fast and easy: filled out the application, showed my NYS handgun licenses, she took my picture, collected the $25. (I think) and gave me a nice laminated card good for another five years.
I went to Centre County as it was where it was first issued, and I was already heading out West, so it wasn't much of a diversion in travel.
Also in case it wasn't mentioned before, all renewals have to be done in person and you must already have a licenses issued from your State of residence.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone done it lately? I know there is a new sheriff in town. The benefit of Centre county was that they didn't require an unrestricted home state license.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Mine is up 2018 from pike county. Everyone that's closer to ny/nj border says try Berk county same area were cabelas is
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#32]
For those on the WNY side of the state, McKean County non resident permit process was breeze. In and out in 15 minutes with pemit in hand, no waiting and no lines.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By cviss:
Mine is up 2018 from pike county. Everyone that's closer to ny/nj border says try Berk county same area were cabelas is
View Quote

Interesting...  but confusing. Seems to be lots of places you can do it... but only on certain days.

"?The Berks County Sheriff's Office has a substation in the Reading Regional Airport.  Office hours there are Monday thru Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (closed 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.)

The Berks County Sheriff's Office will be issuing Pennsylvania Licenses to Carry Firearms at five (5) remote locations in Berks County.

Listed below are the days of the month, locations and times of operation.

Applicants for the licenses are to bring a Pennsylvania Driver's License or Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card and payment of $20.00 cash or check.  After filling out the application, a computer background check will immediately be performed.  Upon successful completion of the background check, the license will be issued.

Except Holidays

Remote Locations are closed from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

3rd Monday?3rd Tuesday?3rd Wednesday?3rd Thursday?3rd Friday?
?Birdsboro Borough
200 East Main St.
Birdsboro, PA 19508
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.Hamburg Borough
61 North 3rd St.
Hamburg, PA 19526
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.??Wernersville Borough
100 N. Reber St.
Wernersville, PA 19565
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.?Kutztown Borough
45 Railroad St
Kutztown, PA 19530
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.?Colebrookdale Twp.
765 W. Philadelphia Ave.
Boyertown, PA 19512
11 a.m. - 5 p.m.

11/15/2016 12:00 AM
Airport Substation – CLOSED
Gun Permit Substation at Reading Airport
11/15/2016 11:00 AM
License to Carry Firearms - remote location (Hamburg Borough)
Hamburg Borough Municipal Center, 6 N. 3rd Street, Hamburg, Pa 19526
11/16/2016 12:00 AM
11/16/2016 11:00 AM
License to Carry Firearms - remote location (Wernersville Borough)
Wernersville Borough Hall, 100 N. Reber St., Wernersville, Pa 19565
11/17/2016 12:00 AM
11/17/2016 11:00 AM
License to Carry Firearms - remote location (Kutztown)
Kutztown Borough Hall, 45 Railroad Street, Kutztown, Pa 19530
11/18/2016 12:00 AM
11/18/2016 11:00 AM
License to Carry Firearms - remote location (Colebrookdale Twp.)
Colebrookdale Township Building, 765 W. Philadelphia Avenue, Boyertown, Pa 19512
11/21/2016 12:00 AM
Airport Substation - CLOSED
11/21/2016 10:00 AM
License to Carry Firearms - remote location (Birdboro Borough)
Birdsboro Borough Hall, 200 E. Main Street, Birdsboro, Pa 19508"
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Correct... they do that to try to make it easier for there residents to get their permit..

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cas:
View Quote

It was a misteak!  I somehow saw it ad thought it was more recent!  Duh!
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Which county in PA is the easiest near Philly? Have a friend taking a trip in April. He said if there is one near Scranton that is friendly he will go there as well. He has an unrestricted permit out of Schenectady County.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Which county in PA is the easiest near Philly? Have a friend taking a trip in April. He said if there is one near Scranton that is friendly he will go there as well. He has an unrestricted permit out of Schenectady County.
View Quote
A thread which periodically gets dredged up!

I originally had Centre County by mail however I renewed in person from Lancaster County.

I would also be interested in something near Scranton as we occasionally go there for vacation.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 5:04:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fatboy148] [#38]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
View Quote
Tell him to go right to downtown Scranton, it's Lackawanna County. I just went a couple months ago for a renewal and it was pretty easy to find parking on the street and I was in and out in under an hour. I was between noon and one and they were in their lunch time rush. There were folks there with suits and others in dress shirts and ties on their lunch hour from working downtown. She was cranking them out in less than ten minutes each. He will need two references and a NYS permit. Might want to call to check and see if anything has changed though.

Sheriff’s Office

License to Carry

Phone: 570-963-6719 Ext: 7100
Fax: 570-963-6859

Lackawanna County Courthouse
200 N. Washington Avenue
1st floor
Scranton, PA 18503

ETA... It's actually one floor up from the ground floor.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top